Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

hanca

Record Breaker
they will withstand puberty and still beat Osmond ;)

I wouldn't dare to bet on any single skater to withstand puberty, but considering the numbers of very talented young Russian ladies that are coming through, I think it is very likely that at least three will definitely withstand puberty and be ready. (unfortunately it is hard to know which three). And because at worlds and Olympics 3 per country is the max, the chances are pretty good for Russia (but not that good for each of them because the competitions among them for the three spots will be harsh.)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wouldn't dare to bet on any single skater to withstand puberty, but considering the numbers of very talented young Russian ladies that are coming through, I think it is very likely that at least three will definitely withstand puberty and be ready. (unfortunately it is hard to know which three). And because at worlds and Olympics 3 per country is the max, the chances are pretty good for Russia (but not that good for each of them because the competitions among them for the three spots will be harsh.)

quantity and quality is the best weapon

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Don't worry too much. I think there is a natural selection system. Look at who survived in the past.

Leonova, Makarova, Biryukova -> Leonova (resists the years passing)

Adelina and Liza -> Adelina (not very consistent but won OGM)

3 Polinas -> None managed to be a world star, though Korobeynikova conquered hearts of many fans

Julia, Anna, Elena -> all looking good for now, but who knows what will happen

Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> ?

Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> ?

hanca

Record Breaker
Julia, Anna, Elena -> all looking good for now, but who knows what will happen

Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> ?

Is it a quiz? ;)

Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> Serafima and Alexandra, please. :love:
Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> Nugumanova, if I may choose :thumbsup:

concorde

Medalist
I kind of imagined that the young skaters atleast attended a normal school, but it seems to be difficult to do both as an elite skater.

Your perception is incorrect - most competitive (not even at the elite levels) skaters home school. That is so they can get the good ice time.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Is it a quiz? ;)

Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> Serafima and Alexandra, please. :love:
Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> Nugumanova, if I may choose :thumbsup:

I love all of them but if I have to, I will choose Sotskova and Serafima. I think they are more unique and I like watching different styles. Proklova is fast and energetic but reminds me of Radionova and spinning like Lipnitskaya.

Rhodium

On the Ice
Don't worry too much. I think there is a natural selection system. Look at who survived in the past.

A natural selection system works everywhere, but now the population is very large. There were 12 competitors at GPF and JGPF last season, and 8 (!!!) were Russians.

Lets suppose that Lip, Sot, Rad and Pogo will be in good shape next season. It would be unfair to leave somebody without international competitions. It would be a good idea to send to Europeans and Worlds different girls. For example, Lip, Rad, Pogo to Europeans, Lip, Rad, Sot to Worlds. It will be not so critical next season, but in 2015-16 it would be a solution.

My favourites are Serafima and Maria. Maria is our hope. She is wonderful!

ManLady

On the Ice
What's strange about that? People are different, some are extroverted, immediately friendly, and some are introverted.

sorry i wasn't being clear :) my point was that i accept the article's claim of a relationship betw yulia and adyan because everything else the article wrote has apparently turned out to be fairly accurate. it seems obvious to me that the reporter has an inside source. i also should not have referred to the publication as a tabloid as others did. i recall looking at the paper's wikipedia page & concluding it was a very mainstream publication with a wide audience. though i still believe the article was disrespectful to yulia and therefore should not have been printed.

ManLady

On the Ice
speaking of adyan, why is this renaissance of russian talent only limited to ladies? where are all the young russian men?

Alba

Record Breaker
sorry i wasn't being clear :) my point was that i accept the article's claim of a relationship betw yulia and adyan because everything else the article wrote has apparently turned out to be fairly accurate. it seems obvious to me that the reporter has an inside source. i also should not have referred to the publication as a tabloid as others did. i recall looking at the paper's wikipedia page & concluding it was a very mainstream publication with a wide audience. though i still believe the article was disrespectful to yulia and therefore should not have been printed.

I have no idea about her and Pitkeev tbh. Still, I think it must've been a child thing, even this "relationship" with Serafima.
I don't know but for me they're far too young to see them as in a real "relationship". :biggrin:

As for the newspaper, well, some will stop at nothing just to sell a bit more.

speaking of adyan, why is this renaissance of russian talent only limited to ladies? where are all the young russian men?

I've been thinking about that too. They had so many great examples, I have no idea why they have gone so downhill in that sector.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Too few boys come and stay in FS. So we have a slow deterioration over the years. With the girls on the other hand it's a boom. Especially now. Daughters of some of my friends all want to be "like Yulia". Some of them start as "late" as 8-9 while most start at 4-5. It means that "the Russian wave" with the ladies has come to stay. With the men god knows. Traditional views are pushed here. And these views also mean that hockey is for boys - FS is for girls. That's why our ladies will never win in hockey over USA or Canada. I might try FS with my son but in the end of the day it will be up to him to decide. And the risks are high that he might be ridiculed at school for practicing "girl's sport".

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Too few boys come and stay in FS. So we have a slow deterioration over the years. With the girls on the other hand it's a boom. Especially now. Daughters of some of my friends all want to be "like Yulia". Some of them start as "late" as 8-9 while most start at 4-5. It means that "the Russian wave" with the ladies has come to stay. With the men god knows. Traditional views are pushed here. And these views also mean that hockey is for boys - FS is for girls. That's why our ladies will never win in hockey over USA or Canada. I might try FS with my son but in the end of the day it will be up to him to decide. And the risks are high that he might be ridiculed at school for practicing "girl's sport".
Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?

But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed). But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.

Alba

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?

That's what I thought too. :-(

But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed).

In fact during that period the Soviet Union was strong in hockey, so maybe the trend is back. They have the money now for the hockey players.

But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.

I think USA has some very good young ladies, like Gold and Edmunds.

Rhodium

On the Ice
Reports about Maria S.: she lives and trains in Reutov, Russia; she is studying remotely and likes mathematics; she came to FS at the age of 3; Svetlana Panova has always been her coach; she wanted to go to Junior Worlds (it was after JGPF) and Olympics.

Maria about her idols, Patrick Chan and Johnny Weir.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
In fact during that period the Soviet Union was strong in hockey, so maybe the trend is back. They have the money now for the hockey players.
Shifting values of masculinity? Or perhaps simply a funding issue--there's no money to be good at both FS and hockey.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Reports about Maria S.: she lives and trains in Reutov, Russia; she is studying remotely and likes mathematics; she came to FS at the age of 3; Svetlana Panova has always been her coach; she wanted to go to Junior Worlds (it was after JGPF) and Olympics.

Maria about her idols, Patrick Chan and Johnny Weir.

Aw, that's cute of her to look up to Chan and Weir. It's also nice to see that she's already regarding the quality of skating as important, and not just the jumps, and understanding it was a huge reason for Chan's success and being renowned as one of the best skaters ever.

Alba

Record Breaker
Shifting values of masculinity? Or perhaps simply a funding issue--there's no money to be good at both FS and hockey.

I think they always loved Hockey more than FS, at least the men. I also think they put more money in hockey, even in football since it's also private, than FS that's for sure.