Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
No Adelina isn't done. I would still think she is hungry to keep her younger compariots at bay and comeback strong next season. I hope Yulia, Anna and Elena push Adelina to new heights in the coming years. Of course they may pass her by too. We shall see. Ade is making good money and is famous. She is a huge heroid name in Russia forever now. I hope her main goal is to win worlds and be ready for 2018. But making money for her little sisters surgeries and doctors visits must be important to Ade because she is the bread winner for her family. The greater a figure skater she becomes the more money she can demand on and off the ice. To me she's earned her fame and money. Now how great can she become?

I do hope Adelina stays in and continues to compete. She still has a lot she can improve upon to become an even better skater.

In addition to all of the negativity that will stem from her not coming back, for her legacy's sake, I think she needs to win a couple of GP events, as well as Euros and a world title to really cement her in the history books and so people can't look back at her Olympic gold and call it a fluke.

I really hope Adelina has gained a lot of confidence from what she did in Sochi. Those performances under that kind of pressure should really boost her confidence through the roof. If she can perform that well at the single biggest event in the sport, she can handle anything. She improved her consistency last year so hopefully that will continue to grow next year.

I've been a fan of Adelina since her junior days and she's grown into a really amazing young lady.:) I think the sky is the limit for her as long as she keeps working and improving. I'm glad that there is so much talent in Russia b/c that alone will force her to keep working and improving.

All of those girls push each other...that's why Russia's field is so deep and talented. The competition within their country is tougher than international competition which is why so many Russians are on the podiums at these international events. They're battle tested before they even make it to the GP which helps them to gain success so quickly once they do make it to the senior level. Four Russians made it to the GPF this year...and two of them were fresh off of the JGP newbies!

I see the Russians thoroughly dominating this next quad of skating.:popcorn:

papa

Match Penalty
I like that paragraph from Pogorilaya's interview:
"This year I was a little wrong with my priorities. Thought like - there was the final Grand Prix, fine start, and then Russian championships ahead - well, what can happen there? And then - bang! So, much came over at one point! Frankly, I was too relaxed, didn't prepare properly. And then all these little girls, they are catching up with us, do not give room for error.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I do hope Adelina stays in and continues to compete. She still has a lot she can improve upon to become an even better skater.

In addition to all of the negativity that will stem from her not coming back, for her legacy's sake, I think she needs to win a couple of GP events, as well as Euros and a world title to really cement her in the history books and so people can't look back at her Olympic gold and call it a fluke.

I really hope Adelina has gained a lot of confidence from what she did in Sochi. Those performances under that kind of pressure should really boost her confidence through the roof. If she can perform that well at the single biggest event in the sport, she can handle anything. She improved her consistency last year so hopefully that will continue to grow next year.

I've been a fan of Adelina since her junior days and she's grown into a really amazing young lady.:) I think the sky is the limit for her as long as she keeps working and improving. I'm glad that there is so much talent in Russia b/c that alone will force her to keep working and improving.

All of those girls push each other...that's why Russia's field is so deep and talented. The competition within their country is tougher than international competition which is why so many Russians are on the podiums at these international events. They're battle tested before they even make it to the GP which helps them to gain success so quickly once they do make it to the senior level. Four Russians made it to the GPF this year...and two of them were fresh off of the JGP newbies!

I see the Russians thoroughly dominating this next quad of skating.:popcorn:
So well said. Thanks. I don't think Adelina is done and I think she will at some point reach her Sochi level again and maybe even surprass it with more maturity, knowledge and still having that great desire. if she still has that great desire she will do well. But I do wonder if the Olympic gold medal has changed her level of desire. I hope not but we don't know. And there there was all that hate and nastiness that came her way after her gold medal where she racked up the most points which is the current system and I wonder if that hate aimed at Adelina, the judges, IOC and ISU will linger within her. I hope not.

While Yuna, Mao and Caro are retiring one would think the door is open for Ade to make it to the top of her sport for a couple years. But Yulia and the other Russian girls are thinking the same thing that it's open at the top and why not them?

Alba

Record Breaker
So well said. Thanks. I don't think Adelina is done and I think she will at some point reach her Sochi level again and maybe even surprass it with more maturity, knowledge and still having that great desire. if she still has that great desire she will do well. But I do wonder if the Olympic gold medal has changed her level of desire. I hope not but we don't know. And there there was all that hate and nastiness that came her way after her gold medal where she racked up the most points which is the current system and I wonder if that hate aimed at Adelina, the judges, IOC and ISU will linger within her. I hope not.

Here is a new interview with Adelina:http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91288-Adelina-Sotnikova-uber-thread/page15

MV: Conflicting your mood "Swan Lake" suggests that after the Olympics, you had doubts whether to continue your career. Is that so?
- There was a thought. Not immediately after the Olympics, but about a month later. Began to think that I have achieved my goal, ask questions, where to go. But realized that to leave now would be ugly. I am only 17 years old, I just started my way. And the way is very interesting! For me, the most interesting. I will have new feelings, maybe I can create something new on the ice. Take now and leave will be all wrong.

Also:
Musicians Piano show Bel Suono started creating music for the new program skater Adelina Sotnikova .
The idea of collaboration was born during a speech Bel Suono on the show after decades of "Ice Symphony" , which was the young star of the Olympic champion.

I think Bel Suono musicians are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmN5HGFYEU&index=3&list=RDBSWIrHECrSg

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
because of Sochi

I also think Pogorilaya is talented, she is a beautiful girl and could go far in Russia's ladies skaters
I really hope she can control her weight in the coming seasons, she is too talented and gorgeous to lose her jumps because of weight gain

YLFan

Match Penalty
Japan likes to emulate the best of things. They aren't Russophobic like the West. And they are obsessed with cute white girls. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
because of Sochi

I also think Pogorilaya is talented, she is a beautiful girl and could go far in Russia's ladies skaters
I really hope she can control her weight in the coming seasons, she is too talented and gorgeous to lose her jumps because of weight gain

She has not gain weight from what I can see.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya appeared on Japanese TV show recently. See from 6:38: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCUCr875vRk

How come all this interest in Japan for russian skaters, ladies i particular?

I think Japan realizes that the Russians are probably going to dominate this next quad. From what I hear, Korea is more interested in Yu-Na skating than figure skating in general; that's not the case in Japan...the country is in love with the sport as a whole, not just one particular skater. I guess it helps that Japan has had so many world champs and successful competitors since 2007, not only in women's skating but in men's too. Their success in the sport has bred a love for it in their country, so they're interested in the up-and-comers including ones from other countries.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
because of Sochi

I wouldn't worry about her weight. She seems to be in good shape from the recent videos we've seen. Don't obsess over beauty/weight so much sky_fly. That's really unhealthy.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Japan realizes that the Russians are probably going to dominate this next quad. From what I hear, Korea is more interested in Yu-Na skating than figure skating in general; that's not the case in Japan...the country is in love with the sport as a whole, not just one particular skater. I guess it helps that Japan has had so many world champs and successful competitors since 2007, not only in women's skating but in men's too. Their success in the sport has bred a love for it in their country, so they're interested in the up-and-comers including ones from other countries.

Yep. It makes sense. :thumbsup:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wouldn't worry about her weight. She seems to be in good shape from the recent videos we've seen. Don't obsess over beauty/weight so much sky_fly. That's really unhealthy.

she gained a little bit of weight on the ice show
but I guess its off season so we'll find out this coming GP season how she fares well with others

kwanatic

Record Breaker
she gained a little bit of weight on the ice show
but I guess its off season so we'll find out this coming GP season how she fares well with others

Pretty much all skaters gain a bit of weight during the summer. They aren't training as hard and probably not watching what they eat as closely...it's normal. Once they get back to training full-time the extra weight comes off and they're back in competitive shape.

People say Liza T lost her jumps b/c of her weight but I don't agree with that. Her case isn't like Caroline Zhang, where it was absolutely clear the added weight had cause her already shaky technique to go AWOL...Liza T's technique is excellent and it's clear that she is still very capable of executing and landing beautiful jumps (look at her FS from SA last year). Her confidence has taken a really big hit. That's why she's been on the decline. Whatever mental block she has is what's causing her problems and if she can get over that (and find some better packaging) she could be right in the mix in this next quad.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pretty much all skaters gain a bit of weight during the summer. They aren't training as hard and probably not watching what they eat as closely...it's normal. Once they get back to training full-time the extra weight comes off and they're back in competitive shape.

People say Liza T lost her jumps b/c of her weight but I don't agree with that. Her case isn't like Caroline Zhang, where it was absolutely clear the added weight had cause her already shaky technique to go AWOL...Liza T's technique is excellent and it's clear that she is still very capable of executing and landing beautiful jumps (look at her FS from SA last year). Her confidence has taken a really big hit. That's why she's been on the decline. Whatever mental block she has is what's causing her problems and if she can get over that (and find some better packaging) she could be right in the mix in this next quad.

Totally. All skaters gain weight during the summer and are at their slimmest in the peak of competition. Watch most summer competitions and you'll realise that skaters in the off season aren't training day in day out to achieve competition level fitness because there aren't any competitions.

Of course, weight is important, but plenty of skaters aren't some thin rails and yet they are able to reel off 3-3 combos and skate with power.

Liza's technique is good, and while some people blame weight issues, the reality is she could still do a 3Z+3T combo.. perhaps not as easily as when she was a kid, but she was capable of it. You said it, it's a confidence thing. I don't know what she can do in the summer season, but it's a rebuilding year for everyone and perhaps she can regain her old spark (she badly needs new material though).

There's an interview/Dove ad with Rosie McLennan who won gold in trampoline at the last Olympics. She explains that she was always "bigger" than the ideal size (and if you look at her competitors, eg. from China, she certainly is), however this translated into greater power and height in her routines... so a perceived weakness/issue was actually her strength. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Japan likes to emulate the best of things. They aren't Russophobic like the West. And they are obsessed with cute white girls. :)

The Japanese like the Russians, the Russian culture: ballet, music etc.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Good article but should have focused on Proklova who I think is the best junior girl in the world.