Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

volk

Final Flight
Even the best coaches have different outlook about skating skills. You are entitle for your opinion. ;)

Sotnikova is definitely the best from the Russian skaters in terms of SS and jumps. And she is young enough to have more room for development. If she decides to stay in the competitive skating, she will become more refined skater. I even love her Swan Lake Ex., but you can see she stumbled a lot with just a simple gliding.

As for Anna, I look back at her GPF and National, I still back up my opinion.

I'm not saying that Gracie is a better skater just in term of SS. For artistic aspects, Gracie definitely needs to work on that. I love Radionova and Sotnikova. But I can be a person who can appreciate other skaters quality as well and not being over the top with my favourite that's for sure.

She is the oldest among Russians, but still younger than GG. With age Russians will overtake GG almost in every aspect of skating.

Rhodium

On the Ice
It is strange to oppose Gracie with Russians as something united. Russians have very different skills, choreography, jumps techniques. If Gracie does have any advantages over all Russians, it is due to her seniority and maturity.

I hope Gracie will gain a consistency and will be among the top skaters. But Russians are numerous and have a large room for improvement. I'm sure that some of them, not all, will progress a lot. Probability theory takes their part.

BusyMom

Medalist
^^ it wasn't my intention really. I just defended people attacked GG by pointing out her strength. It was kind of funny too, since I have been rooting for Radionova all along. This is ladies FS we're talking about, who knows, in a few years we might be talking about Karen Chen VS Prok instead. Whatever will happen, I wish all of them came through with their struggles.

bsfan

On the Ice
I'm just worried about Anna P. She is quite tall and slim right now. If she puts on any weight, she may get into trouble with the jumps, like Polina K.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It is strange to oppose Gracie with Russians as something united. Russians have very different skills, choreography, jumps techniques. If Gracie does have any advantages over all Russians, it is due to her seniority and maturity.

I hope Gracie will gain a consistency and will be among the top skaters. But Russians are numerous and have a large room for improvement. I'm sure that some of them, not all, will progress a lot. Probability theory takes their part.

Gracie has the advantage of being more mature
thus will have a higher chance of increasing her PCS
she has great speed, power , skating skills to add to also being one of the most attractive facially amongst the ladies

Gracie has solid technique, is already a young lady and has huge 3-3 jumps
Gracie is making also a huge impact in US FS and she is being taken as role models by younger Americans
this we haven't seen since Kwan's time, she could become a continental household name

uhh

Medalist
Gracie has solid technique, is already a young lady and has huge 3-3 jumps
Gracie is making also a huge impact in US FS and she is being taken as role models by younger Americans
this we haven't seen since Kwan's time, she could become a continental household name

It's so disappointing that someone who posts racist tweets can become a role model.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This thread should be changed to the Russian Babies versus Gracie Gold thread! ;)

Right now Gracie is not at the level of Adelina and Yulia. They clearly separated themselves from Gracie this past season. Now will Gracie improve enough to challenge them and be able to beat the other Russian girls coming on strong the next 4 years? I hope she can. We shall see.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I was really impressed with Anna P at Worlds, having read a few interviews I like her even more. She seems to be grounded, levelheaded and mature beyond her age girl. I’ve come across one interview taken straight after China Cup and translate here a part of it (sorry - little time may be not a good translation):

‘‘Q: You didn’t hide your emotions when finished in first ahead of Carolina Costner. Do you think she might have been hurt by it?
A: No, I don’t think so, at least she didn’t show it. But who I really managed to unnerve was Adelina Sotnikova. She was really angry that I did better than her and I think our next competition won’t be easy. Even during training sessions in China she used some dirty tactics. Mind you, Adelina is a honey outside the rink but on the rink she can be very intimidating. I didn’t let it unbalance me, it was even interesting to watch like some perfomance. She would stand there not looking like not noticing me at all, but just when I would pass past her preparing for a jump she would follow me so closely that I would have to give up well knowing that if that was anyone else they would let me to do a jump but not Adelina and that if I still went for a jump we would sure crash into each other. Her purpose was to demoralize me but it didn’t work!’’

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865
What? As the great John McEnroe would say "You cannot be serious!" I am so shocked to read this. The meaning may have been slightly off in what Anna said but we get the drift. The question is how will OGM and Queen Russian AdeQueena handle on ice warmups with her compatriots? Will she stare them down? Will she resort to hip checks? Oh heck Yulia will intimidate them all in the coming years with her icy glares and stares! ;) But let's be real these Russian girls say what they mean they don't hold anything back. Ade stated why she deserved Sochi gold and said she wanted all the golds! These girls truly don't know how to be politically correct nor do they want to be.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Lol, rink intimidation isn't anything new. Didn't Kat Witt employ it back in the day? Made her way to two Olympic golds, so I'd say Witt did quite well for herself. ;)

I prefer (most of) the Russian girls to Gracie, but Gracie does have one thing they don't--she seems to have made it through puberty intact. I really hope Yulia will be fine; it's inevitable that she'll lose some of her insane flexibility, but I hope she keeps her jumps going forward.

Alba

Record Breaker
What? As the great John McEnroe would say "You cannot be serious!" I am so shocked to read this. The meaning may have been slightly off in what Anna said but we get the drift. The question is how will OGM and Queen Russian AdeQueena handle on ice warmups with her compatriots? Will she stare them down? Will she resort to hip checks? Oh heck Yulia will intimidate them all in the coming years with her icy glares and stares! ;) But let's be real these Russian girls say what they mean they don't hold anything back. Ade stated why she deserved Sochi gold and said she wanted all the golds! These girls truly don't know how to be politically correct nor do they want to be.

I love that tbh. :laugh:
You are right about Yulia though. :biggrin:

Lol, rink intimidation isn't anything new. Didn't Kat Witt employ it back in the day? Made her way to two Olympic golds, so I'd say Witt did quite well for herself. ;)

It's not news indeed. Some use it and some not, some more and some less but nothing new there.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Woah. You're joking, right? That's way too young! (I don't get Skyfly's Gracie obsession either, but at least Gracie looks like a woman.)

Alba

Record Breaker
Gracie is very pretty, but wouldn't say she's got much of an advantage over 14yo Proklova... ;)
www.niasam.ru/20324_i_gallerybig.jpg
www.fskate.ru/photos/image21688.jpg
pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201312/04/39/d0299939_14332094.jpg

Proklova is still a baby. Anna P is gorgeous and Gracie has zero advantage in that sector over her.
But, as they say, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So, let's not follow Skyfly in another endless and pointless discussion about beauty and about Gracie.
This is a thread about russians ladies. ;)

papa

Match Penalty
^Woah. You're joking, right? That's way too young! (I don't get Skyfly's Gracie obsession either, but at least Gracie looks like a woman.)
Too young for what? :unsure:
She is 14yo and Senior Russian Championship 4th place finisher - she has to be considered as potential Gracie rival for upcoming years, doesn't she?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Too young for me to see her as attractive? Since that's the part of Skyfly's post you were referring to.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm just worried about Anna P. She is quite tall and slim right now. If she puts on any weight, she may get into trouble with the jumps, like Polina K.

She looks like tall but she isn't. This is very interesting for me. She is 1.60m (5 ft 3 in).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She looks like tall but she isn't. This is very interesting for me. She is 1.60m (5 ft 3 in).
Anna may list at 5.3 but here at worlds she clearly has about 3 inches over Yulia who lists as 5.2. Yulia stopped growing in terms of height before Finlandia. I don't expect any more height from Yulia. I think Anna may still gain a couple of inches.

http://instagram.com/p/mKN_rrELfe/

gold12345

Medalist
Anna may list at 5.3 but here at worlds she clearly has about 3 inches over Yulia who lists as 5.2. Yulia stopped growing in terms of height before Finlandia. I don't expect any more height from Yulia. I think Anna may still gain a couple of inches.

http://instagram.com/p/mKN_rrELfe/

I tend to doubt Yulia is 5'2", but you're right that Anna looks taller than 5'3". It may not be such a big deal if she grows a bit taller... It didn't hurt Gracie much to grow to 5'5" and fill out into a "woman's body". Anna's jump technique seems okay enough where she may be able to hang in there past puberty.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I love that tbh. :laugh:
You are right about Yulia though. :biggrin:

It's not news indeed. Some use it and some not, some more and some less but nothing new there.
Next season will be interesting to hear what the Russian girls say about each other and if they get tired of each other. It could happen. But they do get along well as a group from what I hear. I have no doubt the young ones want to show Adelina and even Yulia who is still so young that they are as good as them.

As far as the looks go they are a group of pretty girls for sure. I just don't feel right talking about it. Especially the juniors. I mean their leader Adelina is still only 17 years old even though she looks like a young woman now. You know what I want? I want to hear what Yulia who is making it largely on her own really thinks of Adelina who many say has been spoiled and catered to by the Russian Federation. I have no doubt these 2 girls are friendly with each other and competitive as well. But I bet somewhere deep inside Yulia it rankles her that Adelina won the Sochi individual gold medal and not her.

On a side note I think Yulia will be more intimidating to the other Russian girls than Adelina will be in the next few years. Why? Yulia has those icy stares and she is closer to their age and she wants the individual gold in 2018 while Ade always has her individual OGM.