Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

papa

Match Penalty
I think Russian nationals could be better than worlds unless a lot of people skip it. IMO some of the Russian JR girls are as good or better than the foreign competition that will be at Worlds.
It's interesting. :biggrin:
Gracie would be potential RN medal favourite over Pog, Tuk and all juniors, but who else except her?
So, Worlds vs RNs competitiveness would come to simple question: is lone Gracie a bigger medal threat to Sot,Lip,Rad than ~6 top-ten Russian skaters?
Theoretically, in perfect circumstances (if she was uber-consistent) she is, but in real world numbers prevail I think - let's say she makes a mistake and just one of those 6 (who are very good skaters anyway) performs skate of their lives...
It's all about probability, I wonder what'd the oddmakers say? :rolleye:

hanca

Record Breaker
It's interesting. :biggrin:
Gracie would be potential RN medal favourite over Pog, Tuk and all juniors, but who else except her?
So, Worlds vs RNs competitiveness would come to simple question: is lone Gracie a bigger medal threat to Sot,Lip,Rad than ~6 top-ten Russian skaters?
Theoretically, in perfect circumstances (if she was uber-consistent) she is, but in real world numbers prevail I think - let's say she makes a mistake and just one of those 6 (who are very good skaters anyway) performs skate of their lives...
It's all about probability, I wonder what'd the oddmakers say? :rolleye:

I wouldn't be so sure that Gracie would beat Pogforilaya - Pogorilaya beat her at worlds, and unlike Gracie, Pogorilaya did get into GPF.

Gracie may be able to beat Leonova, Gosviani and Tuktamysheva if she could compete at Russian nationals, but the chances are that Lipnistkaya, Sotnikova, Radionova, Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, Proklova and Sotskova would beat her if all of them (including Gracie) skated exactly as they did last year. Obviously there are things that can be foreseen - maybe any of those girls hit growth spur or puberty over the summer or are still dealing with injury, but then again someone else may step up and take their place.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think people might be overselling Anna P a bit. GPF and Russian Nationals for her were very painful to watch. Yes she skated well at WC but she had nearly 4 months rest and preparation going in. I like her very much but she put up some stinkers last year. Maybe she is past all that but maybe we should wait and see? Personally I think Polina can match her in most areas. :popcorn:

hanca

Record Breaker
I think people might be overselling Anna P a bit. GPF and Russian Nationals for her were very painful to watch. Yes she skated well at WC but she had nearly 4 months rest and preparation going in. I like her very much but she put up some stinkers last year. Maybe she is past all that but maybe we should wait and see? Personally I think Polina can match her in most areas. :popcorn:

I agree that Russian nationals were not Anna's strongest competition and neither was the GPF, but her both GP events were very decent, and so was her worlds competition. I disagree that she had 4 months of rest - she had GPF and Russian nationals in December (about a week or two apart, and worlds were in March). She also had a competition at the end of February/beginning of March - she won the Russian cup final (and skated very decently. This may have been the reason why the Federation chose to send her to worlds rather than Leonova). So much about 4 months of rest!

In regards to Polina matching her- I love Polina's skating, but Polina did not deliver at worlds, whereas Anna did. Polina is without a doubt a very talented lady, but at the moment she has not been as consistent as Anna has. If she had been more consistent, she would have placed higher.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah...my time scale was off I admit but I still maintain that Anna is still a bit of a wildcard at this point. We shall see. :popcorn:

I agree that Polina is unproven too....the truth is, it is likely just a gut feeling I have that she is going to break out this year.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Could you elaborate? :)
I meant that Worlds will be the toughest competition of the season for Ladies skating for sure: we'll have the three Russian girls, the three American girls, Kanako, Zijun, Osmond and maybe Park and another Japanese girl all with very high level, far better than Russian nationals (as it is supposed to be! :biggrin: ), which will be, I think, the second-toughest competition of the season

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah...my time scale was off I admit but I still maintain that Anna is still a bit of a wildcard at this point. We shall see. :popcorn:

I agree that Polina is unproven too....the truth is, it is likely just a gut feeling I have that she is going to break out this year.

Anna is definitely a wild card, so is Polina, so is Gracie and so is Adelina. Neither of them has been particularly consistent last season, but when they deliver they are amazing. Each of them has different strengths but each of them has the ability to do well. It is just about being consistent and delivering when it counts (like Adelina managed at the Olympics).

hanca

Record Breaker
I meant that Worlds will be the toughest competition of the season for Ladies skating for sure: we'll have the three Russian girls, the three American girls, Kanako, Zijun, Osmond and maybe Park and another Japanese girl all with very high level, far better than Russian nationals (as it is supposed to be! :biggrin: ), which will be, I think, the second-toughest competition of the season

Depends how you look at it. If you count well known names as the draw for you, the worlds will be better competition for you. But at worlds you won't see 16 out of 18 skaters doing 3-3 in their SP and the majority skaters doing seven triples free program. At Russian national it was like that last season, so Russian nationals were technically higher level of competition than worlds. Artemeva skated a clean SP with 3Lz-3T, 3F, 2A and reasonably high level of spins and steps and still finished 11th after the SP. With the same program she would place 3rd-4th at worlds (after SP). So Russian nationals are probably tougher than worlds, at least in the technical scores.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Depends how you look at it. If you count well known names as the draw for you, the worlds will be better competition for you. But at worlds you won't see 16 out of 18 skaters doing 3-3 in their SP and the majority skaters doing seven triples free program. At Russian national it was like that last season, so Russian nationals were technically higher level of competition than worlds. Artemeva skated a clean SP with 3Lz-3T, 3F, 2A and reasonably high level of spins and steps and still finished 11th after the SP. With the same program she would place 3rd-4th at worlds (after SP). So Russian nationals are probably tougher than worlds, at least in the technical scores.
True, if we look just at technical elements Russian Nationals is the best competition of the season. However, if we look at PCS most of the skaters who land 3-3s and 7-triples programs at nationals would receive less than 25 and 50 (SP and FS) at Senior Worlds with the same programs in PCS (just look at Chartrand's 7-triples FS at 4CC) and would not have really high results. Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Leonova and a bit less Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya are the only ones with good PCS internationally, so if we look at complete results Worlds will still be the most difficult competition to win I think (I'm talking exclusively about next season, though)

hanca

Record Breaker
True, if we look just at technical elements Russian Nationals is the best competition of the season. However, if we look at PCS most of the skaters who land 3-3s and 7-triples programs at nationals would receive less than 25 and 50 (SP and FS) at Senior Worlds with the same programs in PCS (just look at Chartrand's 7-triples FS at 4CC) and would not have really high results. Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Leonova and a bit less Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya are the only ones with good PCS internationally, so if we look at complete results Worlds will still be the most difficult competition to win I think (I'm talking exclusively about next season, though)

As you said, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Leonova and Tuktamysheva are able to get high PCS internationally. So are those four talented juniors (Sakhanovich, Sotskova, Proklova and Medvedeva). They were scoring in 170-180 during the season. So that's already nine skaters who would do very decent job at Russian nationals. If you compare first ten at worlds, and first ten at Russian nationals, you may find out that actually the ones at Russian nationals have higher TES (than those at worlds) and comparable PCS. In regards to the last 8 from the Russian nationals, you are right that they won't have the PCS very high, but the skaters who place at world 11th-18th won't have the PCS very high either! And the ones at Russian nationals will have the TES.

LRK

Record Breaker
I actually liked the dress too - not sure about the pink scarf, though; I think it makes it look a tad busy - or maybe if it were in a different colour? I'm not sure - but I actually really iked the dress itself. Nice colour and design - and it even has sleeves and a back to it. :) (Sometimes I'm puzzled by backless dresses where the front and - lack of - back just really don't seem to match. )