Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Imagine

Medalist
Eteri is the coolest coach around atm...she really seems to know exactly how to communicate with each of her students! Strict, but very nurturing. Going off topic a bit, Adelina's coach seems kind of mean (I'm sure she has her positive aspects as well, after all she did train an Olympic champ)....there's a really scary video of her screaming at her students o_o

starlight97

Final Flight
Adelina's coach seems kind of mean (I'm sure she has her positive aspects as well, after all she did train an Olympic champ)....there's a really scary video of her screaming at her students o_o
Really??
I always thought she was by far the most motherly warm one among the russian coaches, she always smiles so sweetly and is hugging and kissing her students when they come off the ice etc....
there was an interview with her where she explained what it was like to tell Adelina that she wouldn't skate in the Team Event and that she saw "all the light leave her eyes". She explained that she blamed herself for this because she shouldn't have told Adelina that she would go in the first place and that she had heart problems in Sochi, because she was so nervous for her student.

But you know articles and videos can deceive.
At first I thought Eteri was really stern and strict, since she hardly ever smiled in the first videos I saw of her and then there were those reports that she was "starving" Yulia to stop her from going into puberty and that she was the one who wanted that Yulia skated both, Free and Short in the team to get Adelina out.
Which of course is all complete nonsense :rolleye:

Imagine

Medalist
Maybe it was just the way I perceived it. I mean no offense, but Russians do have this certain...intensity about the way they speak....I'm sure Eteri has her intimidating moments in training as well. Both are obviously great coaches based on their students' results.

starlight97

Final Flight
Maybe it was just the way I perceived it. I mean no offense, but Russians do have this certain...intensity about the way they speak....I'm sure Eteri has her intimidating moments in training as well. Both are obviously great coaches based on their students' results.

Don't worry, they say the same about German, that it always sounds angry and like we're fighting when we speak :laugh:

Yes, obviously they both do sth very right as coaches ;)

Country
Russia
May be.
There is video where Tarasova chased on ice Kovtun and beat him covers from the skates.
Of course it was symbolic action - Kovtun is much more fast on ice than Tarasova and could easily be far from her. But he did not do so.
She wanted him to understand - he was wrong.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's weird, I've always thought that Russian sounds tender, especially if it's ladies speaking.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
May be.
There is video where Tarasova chased on ice Kovtun and beat him covers from the skates.
Of course it was symbolic action - Kovtun is much more fast on ice than Tarasova and could easily be far from her. But he did not do so.

Do you have a link to that video? :laugh:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Meanwhile in Russia...

...11yo girls skate like this

Gubanova is just fantastic. God helps her to stay out of injuries.

Tsurskaya is still a bit rough but one could see a very good promise for the next junior season. Her jumps are very good including lutz. As for Medvedeva, she is just lovely. I wish she skated like that at JGPF. She seems to not be able to correct her lutz, it might cost her some points and the first place. But everything else is adorable.

As I already saw with some other skater (whose name I would not tell) Evgeniya starts with a good outside edge but then tilts the foot. One could argue that this is ! but I doubt the judges will agree and give her that luxury based on her track record. If it is not too late already she could take some lessons from Mishin - Tuk has clear outside edge all the way - pictures from Nebelhorn.

http://s019.radikal.ru/i605/1410/4e/fe4cb8dabe58.jpg
http://s017.radikal.ru/i444/1410/bf/3215717ba1ee.jpg
http://s019.radikal.ru/i623/1410/db/ee41b351fcab.jpg
http://s017.radikal.ru/i412/1410/e4/bcaf666dd07a.jpg

Thank you for the videos, Papa!

starlight97

Final Flight

Russian nicknames are such a phenomenon to me:laugh: !
How do you get from Evgenia to Zhenia or from Maria to Masha ?And especially from Alexandra to Sasha?
We'd call them "Fima" and "Alex" and Maria just stays Maria.
You know we just drop one part of the name and there you have the nickname but in Russian it always seems like they make a completely new thing, very interesting, can anybody explain why?

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
How do you get from Evgenia to Zhenia or from Maria to Masha ?And especially from Alexandra to Sasha?
You know we just drop one part of the name and there you have the nickname but in Russian it always seems like they make a completely new thing, very interesting, can anybody explain why?

When I was abroad a lot of foreigners asked me the same things about Russian diminutives.
They couldn't understand why for ex, Tanya stands for Tatiana, Vika for Victoria and others.
I don't know, for Russian people it seems logical :think:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

I cannot tell you specifics. Some guesses. Evgenia is a women's name parallel to the men's one Evgenij (Pluschenko). The diminutive to Evgenij is also Zhenia. Gena would be more logical but Gena is already taken by Gennadij. Then Evgenij comes from Eugene which in French reads as ezhen - here one gets Zhenja easily. As for Masha and Sasha, I guess, this is pure Russian to have women's dimunitive names like that: Sasha, Masha, Natasha, Dasha, Glasha....

Tutto

Record Breaker
How about English phenomens i.e. Dick for Richard or Peggy for Margaret then?! :)

hanca

Record Breaker

That's not only in Russia. How do you get from Robert to Bob in the UK and USA?
In the Czech Republic - Pepa or Pepik is home version of Joseph.

starlight97

Final Flight
How about English phenomens i.e. Dick for Richard or Peggy for Margaret then?! :)

I have never heard of that :laugh:
Of course it's not only Russian, I was just interested in it, since I noticed it a lot and it's very different I'd say more "simple/uncreative" in my language.
But I don't want to spam this thread with sth unrelated to the topic so thank you mermaid and samkrut for trying to explain :)

Alba

Record Breaker
May be.

I want to see that video. :laugh:

How about English phenomens i.e. Dick for Richard :)

That's something I could never understand.
Why would you call someone Dick, unless you hate him of course? :biggrin:

Irina89

On the Ice
Not exactly about ladies, but still promising young skaters...Don't know where else to ask, but is there another ex of Y/M besides the one they did last season?