Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Manitou

Medalist
So much b.s. Sport is a mental game. If someone comes here for pure art and pristine hearts for the sake of universal goodness and world peace then I feel sorry for that loser.
Athletes are superhumans both in bodies and minds. Their level of focus, will to win and extreme level of training is incomprehensible to us, fat, lazy and obnoxious bystanders sitting in front of TV pretending we are on a moral position to judge them.

The level of competition, starting at age of five or less, in the Russian skating clubs is more than you can imagine. And it's the same in all kids sport clubs all over the world. In kids soccer clubs, in girls gymnastic, tracks, swimming, in football boot-camps, anywhere. If someone is turned off by mental games and "dirty" tricks then the person should focus on Disney movies and don't go anywhere beyond.
You can't imagine the amount of dirt in my son's soccer club. And it's only on the school level. And imagine what must be going on when the prize is the national exposure and there are hundreds of other kids waiting for your simple error, so that they can take your position and never feel sorry for it. This is a very toxic world and if you look for purity and art then you are ridiculous.

Of course, the journalist are even worse. But it's the same goddamn thing: they blow the stories out of proportion because they fight for survival too!

So if someone is offended by Adelina's or whoever's so called "dirty" tricks, especially when it's magnified by idiot journalists, then that person should spend the rest of her life hidden under the bed.

jcsamex

Rinkside
So much b.s. Sport is a mental game. If someone comes here for pure art and pristine hearts for the sake of universal goodness and world peace then I feel sorry for that loser.
Athletes are superhumans both in bodies and minds. Their level of focus, will to win and extreme level of training is incomprehensible to us, fat, lazy and obnoxious bystanders sitting in front of TV pretending we are on a moral position to judge them.

The level of competition, starting at age of five or less, in the Russian skating clubs is more than you can imagine. And it's the same in all kids sport clubs all over the world. In kids soccer clubs, in girls gymnastic, tracks, swimming, in football boot-camps, anywhere. If someone is turned off by mental games and "dirty" tricks then the person should focus on Disney movies and don't go anywhere beyond.
You can't imagine the amount of dirt in my son's soccer club. And it's only on the school level. And imagine what must be going on when the prize is the national exposure and there are hundreds of other kids waiting for your simple error, so that they can take your position and never feel sorry for it. This is a very toxic world and if you look for purity and art then you are ridiculous.

Of course, the journalist are even worse. But it's the same goddamn thing: they blow the stories out of proportion because they fight for survival too!

So if someone is offended by Adelina's or whoever's so called "dirty" tricks, especially when it's magnified by idiot journalists, then that person should spend the rest of her life hidden under the bed.

I couldn't agree more.

We, the audience, would like to think our skaters are or should be that little miss perfect role model for young children all over the world. Let's not forget these girls are teenagers who happen to be under the same changes other people their age are but they also have to face all challenges and implications of a sport like this.

I just don't get the need (especially in th US) to portray female figure skaters like perfect princesses. If anything, I think It'd be more interesting to the public to see how these girls truly are, even with somewhat 'flawed' behavior.

usethis2

Medalist
I am fine with that, too, as long as one views every athlete with that same attitude. I do have trouble, though, when people change their minds seemingly with no principled basis.

So I suppose, jcsamex and CezarMart believe that athletes can (and perhaps should) persue their goals by any means necessary including dirty tricks, within legal boundaries? Can I hold those views against you guys in the future if I see inconsistent comments from you?

Manitou

Medalist
We, the audience, would like to think our skaters are or should be that little miss perfect role model for young children all over the world.

But the point is that they are the role models. They work hard beyond the capability of everybody on this forum, they are extremely focused and motivated, they are mature way beyond their years. They carry the entire nations on their tiny shoulders, their minds are stronger than all minds combined of each smartass on this forum, including mine. They are the best of the best: in minds, bodies, dedication and focus. They ARE role models!

Do you really want your daughter to be a little, weak and high pitched Snow White princess, who is pushed around by everybody, and all she does is a little squeaky cry? Or you want your daughter to be strong in head and body who stands her ground when a bully attacks?

Manitou

Medalist
So I suppose, jcsamex and CezarMart believe that athletes can (and perhaps should) persue their goals by any means necessary including dirty tricks, within legal boundaries? Can I hold those views against you guys in the future if I see inconsistent comments from you?

I don't know what you call "dirty".
If Anna couldn't focus on jumping because she felt Adelina was too close then maybe she is too weak for the sport, isn't she?

P.S. Am I not on your ignored list? :)

jcsamex

Rinkside
But the point is that they are the role models. They work hard beyond the capability of everybody on this forum, they are extremely focused and motivated, they are mature way beyond their years. They carry the entire nations on their tiny shoulders, their minds are stronger than all minds combined of each smartass on this forum, including mine. They are the best of the best: in minds, bodies, dedication and focus. They ARE role models!

Do you really want your daughter to be a little, weak and high pitched Snow White princess, who is pushed around by everybody, and all she does is a little squeaky cry? Or you want your daughter to be strong in head and body who stands her ground when a bully attacks?

I never said they were not role models but that some of them (if not most) are not little miss perfect (and they shouldn't be). By that I mean that they want us to look up to that perfect missy who smiles at all times no matter what and stays positive even when there's a lot of BS surrounding her.

Thats what I dont get. Even now in 2014.

Manitou

Medalist
I never said they were not role models but that some of them (if not most) are not little miss perfect (and they shouldn't be). By that I mean that they want us to look up to that perfect missy who smiles at all times no matter what and stays positive even when there's a lot of BS surrounding her.

Oh, I know. I am with you. :)

jcsamex

Rinkside
I am fine with that, too, as long as one views every athlete with that same attitude. I do have trouble, though, when people change their minds seemingly with no principled basis.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's the beauty of this forums.

Regarding your question, my answer is that the concept of 'dirty tricks' can be very wide. The way i see it, as I'm sure you do, is that competitions are won or lose on and off the ice, before, during and sometimes even after the performance is done. That's why athletes must be tough enough to deal with what other competitors, coaches and even federations bring to the table.

Manitou

Medalist
Well, of course if Adelina approaches Anna during practice and undercuts Anna during Anna's jump, and then kicks Anna in the teeth with her skates, then Adelina obviously should be disqualified!
But if Anna is simply "intimidated" by Adelina's presence and therefore cannot focus on her jumps, then maybe she needs to be simply stronger! :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That Adelina vs. Anna episode is new to me.

From what I have read from Anna's bio, she has been an underdog (non-factor coach, parents forum Ukraine, injuries, fought for her JGP assignments) pretty much her entire career, and Adelina has been hyped as the hope for Sochi since she was probably 13, it's understandable that Anna felt intimated by Adelina. And to place both of them in the exact same two GPs was to place Anna after Adelina, same as placing Radionova the same two GPs as Mao. Wasn't Adelina also mad at Julia too? If any of Anna's account was true, then I would say Adelina is evil. It might be a skater's instinct that "I don't want to leave room for another skater to practice jumps".

usethis2

Medalist
@CezarMart & jcsamex: Forget the "including dirty tricks" part. My mistake. It's probably meaningless anyway. "By any means necessary within the jurisdiction's legal boundaries" would do. I would give you thumbs up if you commit. :) Would you?

P.S. There is no semantic tricks hidden in the above phrase. It only means what everyone understands when s/he reads it naturally.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Well, of course if Adelina approaches Anna during practice and undercuts Anna during Anna's jump, and then kicks Anna in the teeth with her skates, then Adelina obviously should be disqualified!
But if Anna is simply "intimidated" by Adelina's presence and therefore cannot focus on her jumps, then maybe she needs to be simply stronger! :)

It's not just about intimidating or annoying. It's about polite behaviour at the high-level competition warm-ups, where during this 5 minutes all 5 girls has the equal right to try theirs elements. For example, you're practising your jump, already made an entry and somebody just cross you way, of course you can't do the jump, and this happens not once at the warm-up. I don't think you will be happy.

Antilopa

On the Ice
It's not just about intimidating or annoying. It's about polite behaviour at the high-level competition warm-ups, where during this 5 minutes all 5 girls has the equal right to try theirs elements. For example, you're practising your jump, already made an entry and somebody just cross you way, of course you can't do the jump, and this happens not once at the warm-up. I don't think you will be happy.
Adelina did it? I've never seen. And you?

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Adelina did it? I've never seen. And you?

It's difficult to find video of the warm-ups, but if i find i'll show. Not only Anna said that Adelina during the warm-up is very concentrated on herself (which is not bad) that she often doesn't look around.

concorde

Medalist

I understand your point here but you make it sound like it rarely happens. I have seen to happen a lot around here - at warm-ups for competitions and on regularly on our freestyle ice even if the skater is wearing the "belt" that should give them right-of-way. Yes it is rude but I believe a high-level skater should be able to deal with it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand your point here but you make it sound like it rarely happens. I have seen to happen a lot around here - at warm-ups for competitions and on regularly on our freestyle ice even if the skater is wearing the "belt" that should give them right-of-way. Yes it is rude but I believe a high-level skater should be able to deal with it.
I've seen it spill over to the rink lobby with parents yelling at each other and not speaking for years. It's very cut throat at my rink but oddly enough....it never happens with the girls that actually go to nationals...it's always the ones who have little to no chance of breaking out. Is it just me? Our best hope to succeed at the national level is the quietest nicest skater we have. I think there is something to be said for that and her composure seems to carry over into every element she executes. Maybe I just envy too much.

concorde

Medalist
Wow - I'm glad I'm not at your rink. At mine, its just the on-ice skaters that behave that way; off-ice, the skaters are relatively polite and the parents are not that intense. Next rink over has what you describe.

Different cultures' view on "awareness of others" also plays into account here. In some cultures, an individual takes into those around them before they act. In other cultures, the focus is on the individual and not who/what is around them. Perfect example is driving!

bsfan

On the Ice
This whole Anna vs. Adelina thing has been talked a lot in another forum shortly after COC. And there was another interview afterward from Anna saying she was misquoted. And she was in good term with Adelina. There were pictures of them hanging out in Paris.

I don't know why someone brought out this original interview.