Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Very true, she does need to avoid falling. And hopefully Gold can also stop falling too (and avoid pops/downgraded jumps), otherwise she won't even be able to compete with the Russians, either. In 6 competitions last season, she fell in 5 of them. :disapp:

2013 US Classic: 1A, 2L, 2F, 1Z in the FS (fall + 3F< in the SP)
2013 Skate Canada: fall in the FS, 3S<<
2013 NHK: fall in the FS, 2S
2014 Olympics: fall in the FS
2014 Worlds: fall in the FS on a 2A<<, 1A

Gracie's technical base are superior to Osmond, so she can afford to get some pops even a fall and still score in 200+
Osmond hass a reliable 3-2 that wont do it anymore nor will a 3T-3T :rolleye:

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Gracie's technical base are superior to Osmond, so she can afford to get some pops even a fall and still score in 200+
Osmond hass a reliable 3-2 that wont do it anymore nor will a 3T-3T :rolleye:

Gracie fell at every single competition this year, first of all. Second of all, when has Gracie ever scored 200+, let alone with pops and falls? Thirdly, last I checked, the Olympic Champion won with a 3T-3T in the short. Kindly take your constant negativity away from this forum

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie fell at every single competition this year, first of all. Second of all, when has Gracie ever scored 200+, let alone with pops and falls? Thirdly, last I checked, the Olympic Champion won with a 3T-3T in the short. Kindly take your constant negativity away from this forum

She scored 200+ at the Olympics. Because obviously Olympic scoring is a good indication of scoring potential. :laugh: Not to mention Frank Carroll probably whined about Gold's PCS after the team event. No other explanation of how Gold's PCS shoots up 6 points in a performance with a fall compared to a clean team FS.

Gold technically didn't fall at US Nationals but she stepped out of her triple lip and touched each hand down -- essentially a fall just not with her butt on the ice like all the other competitions last season.

Newsflash sky_fly, Gold did get "some pops even a fall" at Saitama, scored much less than 200, and it dropped her to 5th, behind Pogorilaya, who isn't even the top Russian, and lost the FS to her two teammates. She better shape up otherwise Radionova, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaia will continue to beat her (as they have this past season) and that's not even the full wave of Russian babies.

oleada

Record Breaker
I am greatly impressed by Maria S. She is pretty mature and has a good choreography for 13 years old. Her jump technique is very solid. I especially like her costumes for the programs at JGPF.
I was sorry that she had had an injury before JW, I expected her winning.
She has grown enough (compare her with Alex. http://instagram.com/p/l9ICq-Bw41/ or with Serafima and Evgenia http://instagram.com/p/hmrmX8jXyt/) so I hope she will not lose her jumps later.

I like her a lot too! She has big jumps and there's something very special about her. Her programs seem to have a point of view. I think she can be a great artist on the ice in due time. I was so impressed with her in the JGPF. SHame about her injury, but thankfully she can compete in the JGP again this year.

Components

Match Penalty
She scored 200+ at the Olympics. Because obviously Olympic scoring is a good indication of scoring potential. :laugh: Not to mention Frank Carroll probably whined about Gold's PCS after the team event. No other explanation of how Gold's PCS shoots up 6 points in a performance with a fall compared to a clean team FS.

Gold technically didn't fall at US Nationals but she stepped out of her triple lip and touched each hand down -- essentially a fall just not with her butt on the ice like all the other competitions last season.

Newsflash sky_fly, Gold did get "some pops even a fall" at Saitama, scored much less than 200, and it dropped her to 5th, behind Pogorilaya, who isn't even the top Russian, and lost the FS to her two teammates. She better shape up otherwise Radionova, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaia will continue to beat her (as they have this past season) and that's not even the full wave of Russian babies.

Gold had a 6 Triple program with a Fall on a DA and a Single Axel.

You can't even began to use her scoring at worlds as some proof of what you think she should be scoring. The Worlds performance wasn't on the level she has been showing prior (Nationals and both FS in the Olympics were *much* better than that and had much greater scoring potential).

Personally, I think her PCS is a bit undermarked compared to some other skaters on the scene, but the quad is over now. Things should change a bit, now that a new cycle has begun.

There will *never* be a full wave of Russians because at most 3 of them can compete at Worlds or Olympics. The closest anyone will get to a "full wave of Russians" is the Grand Prix final where there isn't a cap on the amount of skaters from one country that can compete there.

Gold should be worrying more about her competition in her own country than the wave of Russian Juniors coming up these days. The US is not without talent and if she doesn't put the work in she can get left behind just like Nagasu did. That's a much bigger priority, and should continue to be a bigger priority.

Same goes for the Russians. I'm betting they're a bit more occupied with fending off each other than to play into the forum wars that are going on on various discussion forums.

Gold is competitive if she hits her programs. All she needs is further refinement.

Additionally: The "Let's hate Gracie Gold" simply because she's championed by sky_fly is about as childish as can be. Seriously, people...

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: I like Gold very much because she looks lovely on ice and she always smiles on ice, it' cute. I hope she will podium in worlds next year!:)

hanca

Record Breaker
Nay, fat hopes. Sky fly is drawn to hating Canadian skaters. What are flies good for?

Nope. Sky_fly hates as many Russians as she hates Canadians (maybe even more Russians) . Ask her about Tuktamysheva, Monko-Khaliavin, Stepanova-Bukin, Davakova-Deputat, Gachinsky, Leonova, Makarova, Ilynikh/Zhiganshin. etc.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
I'm sorry, I don't think Gracie will ever win Worlds IF she continues to fall at every competition. If she's up against the Russians, who knock off 7-triple programs like it's nothing, she can't afford to fall, yet she continues to do so. I find Radionova's packaging to be *somewhat* distasteful, but the girl's got spunk, personality, and fire, and it comes through so strongly in her skating - if she survives puberty and retains her consistency, I see her winning a World title before Gracie. Gracie's jumps are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but if they fail her there's nothing for her to fall back on

Components

Match Penalty
I'm sorry, I don't think Gracie will ever win Worlds IF she continues to fall at every competition. If she's up against the Russians, who knock off 7-triple programs like it's nothing, she can't afford to fall, yet she continues to do so. I find Radionova's packaging to be *somewhat* distasteful, but the girl's got spunk, personality, and fire, and it comes through so strongly in her skating - if she survives puberty and retains her consistency, I see her winning a World title before Gracie. Gracie's jumps are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but if they fail her there's nothing for her to fall back on

But she doesn't fall at *every* competition.

And she had no issues beating Lipnitskaya at the Olympics, who knocked off a 7-Triple program like it's nothing...

Radionova's DA is scary, and her "skating" is not really a match for Gracie's right now.

Gracie is not God's Gift to Skating, at all, but she is World Podium material and as a Skater she is better than most of those Russian Juniors at the moment.

The issue with Gracie is not her skating skills, it's technical.

Her Flip Take-Off is going to be incredibly hard for her to fix: at this point I wonder if they should just eat the deduction and allow her to do a more consistent jump instead of trying to fix it.

Her Axel Take-Off was a straight edge take-off, which simply isn't reliable and hard to keep consistent.

Frank has been trying to fix both of those issues, which is why she has been having issues. He's also adjusted her posture going into some of her jumps, as well as her positions on the landings of her jumps. All of that goes against a skater's muscle memory. She cannot let her body go into auto-pilot at this point, because she has too many adjustments to "keep in check."

Again, I would think twice before trying to tweak those things that late in an Olympic season, but Frank Carroll is much better than me at what he does...

Her other jumps are good, and fairly consistent. If she can reign those two in, she should be good. If she manages to fix the technical issues with them (esp the Flip Take-Off, though I'm always negative on those prospects at this point in a Skater's career), even better.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
She fell at the US Classic in the short, SC in the long, NHK in the long (and was beaten by someone not even old enough to go to the Olympics), Nationals in the long, Olympic (individual) LP in the long, Worlds in the long - sense a theme here? Yes she did fall in every single competition this year.
While I certainly think Radionova needs polish and appropriate packaging, her head is in one place when she competes and she isn't packaged like she's competing in a beauty pageant

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She fell at the US Classic in the short, SC in the long, NHK in the long (and was beaten by someone not even old enough to go to the Olympics), Nationals in the long, Olympic (individual) LP in the long, Worlds in the long - sense a theme here? Yes she did fall in every single competition this year.
While I certainly think Radionova needs polish and appropriate packaging, her head is in one place when she competes and she isn't packaged like she's competing in a beauty pageant

She also falls in exhibitions, like at least twice at Stars on Ice on Sunday.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say Elena R is or isn't a great competitor yet. Gracie was hitting 7 triple programs her last year as a junior, Liza was hitting them in the past and Julia this season. It's when pressure and expectations rise when we see whether Elena is a competitor. We all agree Julia is a tough competitor but even she felt the pressure when it looked like she could win an Olympic singles medal.

shine

Record Breaker
You've stated that several times now - what is wrong with Elena's packaging?

BusyMom

Medalist
The "Let's hate Gracie Gold" simply because she's championed by sky_fly is about as childish as can be. Seriously, people...
:agree: Gracie will be fine at this point. No need to compare her to the Russian babies. Her skating skill is way too high above all the Russians and she will come in terms with her technical very soon. She has been with Frank less than a year. With new coach, new environment and new techniques, of course, she needs more time to settle. In my opinion, she did pretty well already.

volk

Final Flight
:agree: Gracie will be fine at this point. No need to compare her to the Russian babies. Her skating skill is way too high above all the Russians and she will come in terms with her technical very soon. She has been with Frank less than a year. With new coach, new environment and new techniques, of course, she needs more time to settle. In my opinion, she did pretty well already.

A lot of exaggeration here.

BusyMom

Medalist
A lot of exaggeration here.
Not really from my POV of course. Gracie and the Russians are coming from different path of training and system. We are talking about SS which is only small parts of scoring these days. In the US, skaters spend (boring)hours working on Move in the Field. From that part of the training, a lot of them come out with great SS. On the other hand, Russian coaches are concentrated on racking up the point so they tends to pack the programs with the footwork which cut short of ice coverage and edge works. Also, the Russian kids have too much more yearly competitions than the American. If you are in the competitive skating, you would know how much time consume from each competition wouldn't allow much time frame left to work on the skills.

Some of the Russians have a very good potential but their systems not allow them to improve on these aspects. But since today IJS system not really care about SS anyway, in my opinion, the Russians will be more successful in the up and coming quad.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anna P has skating skills that at the very least match Gracie.

Sorry but that seems to be her strength.

Have you seen Adelina's exibition she is doing now. The definition of skating skills IMO.

BusyMom

Medalist
Even the best coaches have different outlook about skating skills. You are entitle for your opinion. ;)

Sotnikova is definitely the best from the Russian skaters in terms of SS and jumps. And she is young enough to have more room for development. If she decides to stay in the competitive skating, she will become more refined skater. I even love her Swan Lake Ex., but you can see she stumbled a lot with just a simple gliding.

As for Anna, I look back at her GPF and National, I still back up my opinion.

I'm not saying that Gracie is a better skater just in term of SS. For artistic aspects, Gracie definitely needs to work on that. I love Radionova and Sotnikova. But I can be a person who can appreciate other skaters quality as well and not being over the top with my favourite that's for sure.