Is Mao Asada retiring? | Golden Skate

Is Mao Asada retiring?

daphna

On the Ice
She is still right up there with everyone in the world. I can't believe she's only 23, she has been a senior for 8 years now. Is she really retiring? she looks so young and fresh, I'd love to see her keep ogoing!

tana

Match Penalty
Me too. I know it's selfish to ask that of her if she feels satisfied with her career so far, but she seems to be on a roll and I do want to see more of her skating in competitions... She's the only lady in the whole world who's doing a triple axel in her program and I will miss that jump greatly when she retires as I see nobody trying it other than her.

BounceAround

On the Ice
Maybe she an Takahashi can form an ice dance team for Japan :biggrin:! But seriously though, her twizzles are great.

NMURA

Medalist
In the interview after the FS, Mao said "half-half" (fifty-fifty) on the future plan.
"Physically I can do more, it's up to my heart."

Personally, I don't think she retires, predicting take a season off and return in next year.
Most likely Japanese ladies can't keep three spots without her.

hurrah

Medalist
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but her face today as she performed and as she stood on the podium was not the face of someone who was skating for the final time. I think she's gonna stay. She loves skating.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope she will continue for at least 2 or 3 years, if Akiko and Caro can perform that well in competition at their age 27-28, then Mao can do that too.
I've heard that Kanako Murakami also intends to retire?

noskates

Record Breaker
I really hope Carolina retires. I honestly think this new crop of young ladies is going to pass her by. Ave Maria can't pull her out next year.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope Carolina retires. I honestly think this new crop of young ladies is going to pass her by. Ave Maria can't pull her out next year.

I agree. As long as these older skaters stick around and get inflated scores they don't deserve they are keeping the younger girls down in a way. Today was a example Carolina probably didn't deserve to be on the podium and we've seen here at Worlds and the Olympics that the younger Ladies are more then ready to take over.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I hope not. I will miss her so much. I want her to and Carolina to keep skating, and I hope Mao goes for 2018. She would have a great shot at the Olympic gold there.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree. As long as these older skaters stick around and get inflated scores they don't deserve they are keeping the younger girls down in a way. Today was a example Carolina probably didn't deserve to be on the podium.

The ones who get scores they don't deserve lately are the younger skaters. Sotnikova at the Olympics obviously, and Lipnitskaya often as well.

Lionhart

Spectator
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but her face today as she performed and as she stood on the podium was not the face of someone who was skating for the final time. I think she's gonna stay. She loves skating.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw her finish her FS and then standing on the podium. I guess we'll have to see how she looks after her exhibition, but I think she might stick around a bit longer.

Barb

Record Breaker
ok, I think she definitly will come back, the question is when?, next season?, pre olympic season :unsure:? . I want she try a new coreographer :popcorn:

CPWest

Rinkside
I hope she bows out on a high note, but I sense the Japanese Fed will pressure her to continue.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope she bows out on a high note, but I sense the Japanese Fed will pressure her to continue.
True, without Akiko, then Mao, who will compete for Japan next year? And Kanako is likely to retire, or so I've heard.

anyanka

Record Breaker
True, without Akiko, then Mao, who will compete for Japan next year? And Kanako is likely to retire, or so I've heard.

If all three current top Japanese ladies are gone, Miyahara (if not Imai) will likely rise to the top immediately. The question is: can she deliver yet?? Mao was a prodigy when she burst onto the scene, and Kanako was also a world junior champ. Satoko still has some way to go, but has potential. IIRC she had the highest technical score in at least one phase of Japan nationals this year, even more so than Mao.