Can Ashley Wagner keep up with the New US Ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Ashley Wagner keep up with the New US Ladies

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sure; but you can bet she'll be working on that 3-3 off-season. Let's consider the fact that though she struggled with it at season's end, she at least was attempting it and has a sense of what it's like to do it in competition. Last year, she was virtually working from scratch....

Hopefully if she does, she'll remain injury-free.

A 3-3 in the SP is mandatory. She MAY be able to get by in the FS without one if team Wagner employs smart IJS strategy.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even if she somehow got a more consistent 3-3 though would it be enough. Skaters like Lipnitskaya, Pogs, Radianova, Gold easily outjump her and outspin her, regardless if she has a 3-3 or not. She cant compete with those girls technically even with a 3-3. Their GOEs will bury her. Lipnitskaya is now getting higher PCS and worlds shows that now extends outside Russia quite easily, and the same will probably be true of Sotnikova if she comes back next year. Gold is getting PCS as high or higher now too, and Radianova next season probably will. That isnt even considering if Asada and Kostner continue, and skaters like Osmond, Li, and others who have a huge amount of untapped potential and if they stay healthy a ton of improvement left in their skating.

Of course that should be her first priority though. A 3-3 she sometimes gets around borderline two footed isnt even enough. She needs a huge and confident 3-3 almost always landed on 1 foot with great flow out in both programs to stand a chance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Even if she somehow got a more consistent 3-3 though would it be enough. Skaters like Lipnitskaya, Pogs, Radianova, Gold easily outjump her and outspin her, regardless if she has a 3-3 or not. She cant compete with those girls technically even with a 3-3. Their GOEs will bury her. Lipnitskaya is now getting higher PCS and worlds shows that now extends outside Russia quite easily, and the same will probably be true of Sotnikova if she comes back next year. Gold is getting PCS as high or higher now too, and Radianova next season probably will. That isnt even considering if Asada and Kostner continue, and skaters like Osmond, Li, and others who have a huge amount of untapped potential and if they stay healthy a ton of improvement left in their skating.

Of course that should be her first priority though. A 3-3 she sometimes gets around borderline two footed isnt even enough. She needs a huge and confident 3-3 almost always landed on 1 foot with great flow out in both programs to stand a chance

Well she has a few months to work on it. She'll get back to you in October.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, we are somewhat off-topic as the thread asks if she can keep up with the US ladies, not the Russians or other international top skaters.

I think it depends on who comes up from the ranks. Gold will be her biggest competition at the national level. Edmunds is also catching up to her at an alarming rate (although we need to see if she can keep her jumps through her mid-teens). Nagasu remains a wildcard (whatever will we get from her??)...everyone else I think she is safely ahead of at this point. Thing is, Wagner is no longer the top American so she'll need to fight just to stay relevant NATIONALLY (you can forget about the Russians for now).

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Look for Russian ladies domination for this quad. They will be favorited due to tech ability and ridiculous pcs un earned. grace I hope is not held down. I just see a quad of corruption in ladies after Sochi. The pcs scores are well unmerited. Rep judging as a reality really hurt Ashley after nationals. I love her skating but also see her as being forgotten and surpassed her and nationally. Mao and Caro have had nine lives. Some skaters are more loved. In terms of presentation I really enjoy Ashley and Akiko and now Gracie. Akiko had to fight for good scores in japan. Ashley is now number two or three here. I think she will have it tough from here on despite her performance. Russia will be gifted unfairly because we have seen these girls get inflated pcs when they skate poorly and hugely gifted when they deliver the jumps and spins. no offense to Russian members but it will be the next few years a contest between the Russian girls technically.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Anyway, we are somewhat off-topic as the thread asks if she can keep up with the US ladies, not the Russians or other international top skaters.

I think it depends on who comes up from the ranks. Gold will be her biggest competition at the national level. Edmunds is also catching up to her at an alarming rate (although we need to see if she can keep her jumps through her mid-teens). Nagasu remains a wildcard (whatever will we get from her??)...everyone else I think she is safely ahead of at this point. Thing is, Wagner is no longer the top American so she'll need to fight just to stay relevant NATIONALLY (you can forget about the Russians for now).

I think USFSA has shown that they are not Nagasu fans, and I think they will hold Ashley up over Mirai. I see Gold-Wagner-Edmunds as your top 3 for next year and maybe a few years after, at least until Karen Chen starts to be a player

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A 3-3 in the SP is mandatory.

Something always looks off about her 3-3 to me. It looks like she doesn't reach far enough back for the second jump, and she doesn't stay down far enough after the first jump to spring into the air. I can't put my finger on it but the timing always looks way off.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Look for Russian ladies domination for this quad. They will be favorited due to tech ability and ridiculous pcs un earned. grace I hope is not held down. I just see a quad of corruption in ladies after Sochi. The pcs scores are well unmerited. Rep judging as a reality really hurt Ashley after nationals. I love her skating but also see her as being forgotten and surpassed her and nationally. Mao and Caro have had nine lives. Some skaters are more loved. In terms of presentation I really enjoy Ashley and Akiko and now Gracie. Akiko had to fight for good scores in japan. Ashley is now number two or three here. I think she will have it tough from here on despite her performance. Russia will be gifted unfairly because we have seen these girls get inflated pcs when they skate poorly and hugely gifted when they deliver the jumps and spins. no offense to Russian members but it will be the next few years a contest between the Russian girls technically.

I truly think that will be up to Gracie. She needs to become a tad more consistent and put one good competition after the other so the judges will see her as in the top class. The door is way open for with a lot of ladies retiring. Yes, there are the Russians but she can contend with them, if she stays on her feet.

As for Ashley, she certainly seems to think she is just now hitting her stride. I have my doubts but we'll just have to wait and see. The international judges seem to have placed her in the second-tier this season. But in the USA, she definitely has not been left in the dust. Gracie is her biggest competition and everyone clearly has to watch out for Polina but it's not like there are a stack of USA ladies who can easily beat Ashley. Not at all.

gottadance

On the Ice
what about Samantha Cesario ? Does anybody think she might become a factor - just love her look and style but not sure if she has the physical strength to get the speed and power she now lacks??

CarneAsada

Medalist
Clearly her 3-3T combination isn't suiting her. She should attempt 3-3Loop combos. I'm tired of watching everyone attempt 3-3T and as Ashley Wagner two-foots most of her attempts anyway, she might as well try two-footing an interesting, unique jump.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i feel like ashley's been getting underscored like crazy lately

troubling trend for her moving on if it continues

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Ashley could skate like she did in her WC FS more often she would get better scores. It might be that simple:think:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i feel like ashley's been getting underscored like crazy lately

troubling trend for her moving on if it continues

Agreed-ish. Her PCS in Sochi FS and Worlds FS were poor. Perhaps the judges simply didnt like S&D. In terms of SP the judges have given higher PCS to Wagner all season, even when Wagner has made errors.

That tells me that she needs the right vehicle, at least to stay competitive with Gold.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Ashley could skate like she did in her WC FS more often she would get better scores. It might be that simple:think:

You are right. The judges love consistent skaters. Some say Julia is overscored, but it is because she shows consistency so they come to respect her and her skating more, and reward her strong points (while downplaying her weaker points) more. It is always how skating has worked. It helped Wagner in fall 2012, but she hasnt been the same since that double axel fall and hip pointer injury in her LP there.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You are right. The judges love consistent skaters. Some say Julia is overscored, but it is because she shows consistency so they come to respect her and her skating more, and reward her strong points (while downplaying her weaker points) more. It is always how skating has worked. It helped Wagner in fall 2012, but she hasnt been the same since that double axel fall and hip pointer injury in her LP there.

Explain CoR and how Julia got a higher FS in her Sochi individual FS than her team FS, then.

Although obviously Julia is one of the most consistent of the ladies.

noskates

Record Breaker
I thought Yulia had lost some steam. She just didn't seem as fresh as she has in the past. It's almost as if she phoned in her program.

Thought Ashley skated better than she has all season. have no clue what she's going to do in the future but she looked freer and more competent than ever today

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Yulia had lost some steam. She just didn't seem as fresh as she has in the past. It's almost as if she phoned in her program.

Thought Ashley skated better than she has all season. have no clue what she's going to do in the future but she looked freer and more competent than ever today

Please name off the skaters you think that we're even close to as over worked as her. CoR,GPF ,RUSSIAN NATS,EUROS,TWO FULL SKATES IN SOCHI, WC's all in less than a four month span. CoR GPF and Russian Nats in one month alone!! The girl is over worked. She still somehow has better results than anyone except arguably Mao this season. I actually thought considering all that she skated fine in her WC debut. Her very best SP ever and fought thru apparent nerves after choking at Oympics (her last skate)in front of an almost home crowd. Kind of remarkable if any other skater did it. Why not her?
http://youtu.be/X1Fqn9du7xo

Edit-Ashley was the bomb in her FS and wowed the crap out of me:love::love::clap:

After seeing her skate like that then it will be just sad if she can't keep pace.

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley looked amazing yesterday. I've been watching her since before she turned senior and this is the best I've seen her skate in quite some time. She looked fierce and confident and she got great rotation on those jumps, perhaps it was my imagination but even her spins looked faster. After reading her comments after the short (that she was tired and ready to wrap up the season), I wasn't expecting the skate of the season to happen, but it really really did. I think if she can build on this level, both technical and artistic, she's in a good place to stay very relevant nationally. I was ready to start the off-season feeling unsure about what the future would bring for Ashley, but now I'm sure she can prove the naysayers wrong again.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Clearly her 3-3T combination isn't suiting her. She should attempt 3-3Loop combos. I'm tired of watching everyone attempt 3-3T and as Ashley Wagner two-foots most of her attempts anyway, she might as well try two-footing an interesting, unique jump.

She did 3Lutz+3Loop in the past, I really wish she would work on bringing it back for the SP. If she does 3Lutz+3Loop< and gets -2 GOE it's still worth 8.2 points. That's not a bad gamble considering it's a good bonus if she does manage to fully rotate it. If that doesn't work out (aka, she's constantly doing it as << and/or falling on it) then she will probably need to train the 3Toe+3Toe. She just doesn't have the right body type and natural inclination for doing 3Toe off a harder jump like 3Flip. Her toeloop pick is too swingy and she can't rotate fast enough if the timing isn't perfect.

Either way, she needs to stop doing her 3Flip on a diagonal with no transition beforehand. Really not sure what Raf was thinking with that technique. It's done nothing but hurt her skating.