World spots for 2015 | Golden Skate

World spots for 2015

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Note the following:
* All skaters/couples who qualify to the FS/FD automatically get 16 points, even if they finish 17th or lower.
* Skaters who do not qualify get 18 points for their country
* A country that has only one skater requires a top 10 finish for two spots or top 2 for three spots.

Ladies
3 spots (<13):
Japan: 7​
Russia: 6​
United States: 12​

2 spots (<28 or top 10 finish for a single skater):
Italy: 19​
Korea: 25​
Canada: 24​

Men
3 spots (<13):
Japan: 3​
United States: 13​

2 spots (<28 or top 10 finish)
Spain: 3rd​
Russia: 4th​
China: 7th​
France: 9th​
Canada: 23​

Pairs
3 spots (<13):
Russia: 9​
Canada: 7​
China: 11​

2 spots (>13 but <28):
Germany:14​
Italy: 25​
France: 25​
United States:25​

Ice Dance
3 spots (<13):
Canada: 10​
Russia:11​
United States:11​

2 spots (<28 or top 10):
Italy: 15​
France: 16​
Great Brittan: 9th​

Total by country:
Russia: 11​
United States: 11​
Canada: 10​
Japan: 8​
France: 7​
Italy: 7​
China: 7​
Korea: 5​
Great Brittan: 5​
Spain: 5​

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
South Korea lucked out on the FS qualification point. Otherwise they'd have been down to 1 spot.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think that the biggest surprise for me in terms of qualifying spots is Chafik Bessghier getting two for France as the lone French entry. He smashed his previous best - by 20 points in the free skate alone - and far exceeded anyone's expectations, I think. Well done to him, he's really earned his ticket for next year.

Re ice dance, you have either mistakes or typos: France's total is 16, not 26, and Italy should be 15 and not 25.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think that the biggest surprise for me in terms of qualifying spots is Chafik Bessghier getting two for France as the lone French entry. He smashed his previous best - by 20 points in the free skate alone - and far exceeded anyone's expectations, I think. Well done to him, he's really earned his ticket for next year.

Re ice dance, you have either mistakes or typos: France's total is 16, not 26, and Italy should be 15 and not 25.

Probably a typo...dang butterfingers. :laugh: I will edit.

And I'm delighted for Chafik! In fact, I'd like Chafik to give Amodio a run for his money.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is this the first time the US has won zero medals at the worlds?

No. This also happened 1994: Scott Davis placed 7th and Aren Nielson was 13th; Michelle Kwan placed 8th and Nicole Bobek didn't qualify for the FS in 25th; Meno and Sand placed 6th and Ina and Dungen in Ice Dance. placed 12th and Punsalan and Swallow placed 12th in Ice Dance.

FWIW, as far as spots: Michelle Kwan salvaged two spots for ladies; the men got two spots, the pairs got two spots and ice dance got one spot = 7 spots.

The cool part is that a year later team USA came back in 1995 with three medals and gained four more spots for Worlds the following year.

So all things considered, the fact we got 11 spots this year isn't the worst showing ever and I think team USA will fare better in 2015 (or one could hope).

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I think everyone expected the US to go down to two ice dancing spots with A/E there instead of Marlie. I'm so proud of C/B and the Shibs - I certainly think no one was expecting them both quite so high, and they both turned out great performances.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think everyone expected the US to go down to two ice dancing spots with A/E there instead of Marlie. I'm so proud of C/B and the Shibs - I certainly think no one was expecting them both quite so high, and they both turned out great performances.

Yes! I'm proud of them.

For perspective 11 spots is the most for the Team USA earned since 2007.

2006 = 11
2007 = 11
2008 = 10
2009 = 10
2010 = 10
2011= 9
2012 = 9
2013 = 10
2014 = 11

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Actually it seemed pretty much certain pre worlds C&B and S&S would be 6th and 7th. Other than B&S, I&K, P&B, W&P, and C&L who seemed obvious to beat them, who else even seemed to have the possability of doing so? Maybe the 3rd Russian team (and even that is a stretch) and that is it. Nobody expected Coomes & Buckland or Zhiganshina & Gazsi to beat either American team and it would be a shock and huge dissapointment if they had.

Chock & Bates being in medal contention after the SD wasnt really expected though and was a big feat, even if they ended up falling back to the expected place in the end.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I'm just thankful Canada lucked out and did not go down to 1 spot in the Men's after the disappointing skates from Kevin Reynolds.

And thanks to Nam for stepping up his game and having an excellent Sr. Worlds debut considering he has no quads.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Actually it seemed pretty much certain pre worlds C&B and S&S would be 6th and 7th. Other than B&S, I&K, P&B, W&P, and C&L who seemed obvious to beat them, who else even seemed to have the possability of doing so? Maybe the 3rd Russian team (and even that is a stretch) and that is it. Nobody expected Coomes & Buckland or Zhiganshina & Gazsi to beat either American team and it would be a shock and huge dissapointment if they had.

Chock & Bates being in medal contention after the SD wasnt really expected though and was a big feat, even if they ended up falling back to the expected place in the end.

True--C/B aren't yet getting the benefit of Reputation PCS. Starting next year, I suspect they will.

Poor Germany missing 3 spots in Pairs by one spot because of Wendes getting dumped. Not that they really need them given but still. :p

If I was Amodio, I'd be sending Besseghier a very expensive gift right now. And yeah, good for him, he really exceeded anybody's expectation by far!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada ended up doing much better than anyone predicted at these Worlds. I remember seeing threads a few weeks ago with some very pessimistic predictions:

1. Canada might not win any medals at Worlds

2. W&P would be lucky to even win bronze

3. Canada would lose its 3 dance spots

Well, as it turned out, Canada won medals in pairs & dance, and only lost spots in men's. Expectations in ice dance were far surpassed, with W&P easily winning silver, and with G&P vaulting up to 8th, and P&I finishing a respectable 10th. Canada kept its 3 dance spots with room to spare. :)

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I'm just thankful Canada lucked out and did not go down to 1 spot in the Men's after the disappointing skates from Kevin Reynolds.

And thanks to Nam for stepping up his game and having an excellent Sr. Worlds debut considering he has no quads.

imo it was very successful for Canada. Before the world's it crossed my mind we might win no medals - I didn't think that was the most likely scenario...but i thought it was a possible one...so I'm very happy how things worked out. We did as well - or even better - than anticipated. Aside from the medals, the performances of Daleman and especially Nguyen were a real bright spot for me.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, as it turned out, Canada won medals in pairs & dance, and only lost spots in men's. Expectations in ice dance were far surpassed, with W&P easily winning silver, and with G&P vaulting up to 8th, and P&I finishing a respectable 10th. Canada kept its 3 dance spots with room to spare. :)
W/P were always considered medal contenders, especially after B/S withdrew. And "easily winning silver" doesn't really fit considering how slim the margins were between the medalists.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

... W/P were literally 0.04 in front of P/B and skated last. That wasn't much room to spare.
On the podium, yes. For their place, definitely not.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
3 spots isn't enough for the Russian girls IMO haha. Congrats to So Youn for getting 2 spots for S.Korea!!! Yuna must be so proud :D I've heard some talk about a Russia ladies' podium sweep at the next worlds. What do you all think? I think if Asada retires and the US girls don't step up their game, it's possible... as for Euros, with Caro gone, a Russian podium sweep is almost inevitable.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
... W/P were literally 0.04 in front of P/B and skated last. That wasn't much room to spare.
On the podium, yes. For their place, definitely not.

What I meant by 'room to spare' was that Canada easily qualified 3 spots for next year. A few weeks ago, people were doing mathematical calculations and wondering whether Canada could retain 3 spots without V&M. There was a fear that W&P would be the only Canadian dancers to be in the Top 10. As it turned out, G&P finished 8th, and P&I were able to finish 10th, so even if W&P had finished a couple spots lower, Canada would still have retained 3 spots.

Hope I clarified my post better. :)

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
What I meant by 'room to spare' was that Canada easily qualified 3 spots for next year. A few weeks ago, people were doing mathematical calculations and wondering whether Canada could retain 3 spots without V&M. There was a fear that W&P would be the only Canadian dancers to be in the Top 10. As it turned out, G&P finished 8th, and P&I were able to finish 10th, so even if W&P had finished a couple spots lower, Canada would still have retained 3 spots.

Hope I clarified my post better. :)

Oh, okay! Sorry I mistook your words. I definitely get the context now, thanks for explaining!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
3 spots isn't enough for the Russian girls IMO haha. Congrats to So Youn for getting 2 spots for S.Korea!!! Yuna must be so proud :D I've heard some talk about a Russia ladies' podium sweep at the next worlds. What do you all think? I think if Asada retires and the US girls don't step up their game, it's possible... as for Euros, with Caro gone, a Russian podium sweep is almost inevitable.

Technically SoYoun only got the 2 spots because her teammate's 23rd only counts as 16 points. They very nearly lost that second spot.