So-Youn Park | Page 10 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Yeah, I can never imagine SoYoun do "fever" -- one of my fav Yuna's ex :love:
And yeah, if the same choreo and execution given to any other asian country skater or non-asian country skater, the review will be different.
in my mind, R&J and the specific movie version they chose is perfect for SoYoun, just like Yuna's lark. SoYoun does have more of a demure look on her(suits the character).If use bird, SoYoun is more like swan and Yuna is a little lark back then. that program is too special, because Yuna was suffering from injury. And those bandages. All in all created a image of a little lark of broken wings, trying to fly high. just perfect. Like you said, Yuna's experience is kinda miracle. Hard to repeat for any one.

my account about the audience's response is truly what happened. watching live, her attention to detail, little gestures, tucked my heart.it feels exactly like the tone of Eurosports commentator, not the kind of gushing/fanboy about the performance but a little trembling in their voice.

I loved Fever, too! But could you imagine pre-2009 Yuna doing Fever? The fragile, soft Yuna who did Lark Ascending and Miss Saigon? I certainly can't! Give it two-three years, as well as more progress and wins, and I am sure So Youn will also be able to open up a sassy side. ;)

I love your comparison to swan and lark. Definitely agree, and it is funny that their senior debut both started out with birds. Really symbolic, even if coincidential.

I absolutely loved Seo-youn Park's LP performance at Skater America. It is one of the most surprising performances I have seen because I liked it so much more than her Worlds 2013 LP and because she gave my favorite performance even with a fall, which was totally unexpected.

Yes! So happy she is having the same effect on people as she has on me! :clap:

Also, can we just take a moment to praise the (?) Korean costume designers? I really love both of the new costumes, but especially the Juliet. Somehow it is different from yet has the flair of Sasha's, has a bit of Yuna, and a whole new balletic element unique only to So Youn.

I like her costume choice even better this season than the last (although the white swan was fantastic - and look at that genuine smile!! :love:).

cooper

Medalist
I loved Fever, too! But could you imagine pre-2009 Yuna doing Fever? The fragile, soft Yuna who did Lark Ascending and Miss Saigon? I certainly can't! Give it two-three years, as well as more progress and wins, and I am sure So Youn will also be able to open up a sassy side. ;)

I love your comparison to swan and lark. Definitely agree, and it is funny that their senior debut both started out with birds. Really symbolic, even if coincidential.

Yes! So happy she is having the same effect on people as she has on me! :clap:

Also, can we just take a moment to praise the (?) Korean costume designers? I really love both of the new costumes, but especially the Juliet. Somehow it is different from yet has the flair of Sasha's, has a bit of Yuna, and a whole new balletic element unique only to So Youn.

I like her costume choice even better this season than the last (although the white swan was fantastic - and look at that genuine smile!! :love:).

i wonder if they only have one costume designer in korea?? i still remember yuna's costume designer became public enemy number 1 when they saw her costume for send in the clowns at zagreb.. :laugh: heck even the designer's website got terrorized!! hehehehe.. then they changed their opinions when yuna skated clean at korean nationals.. good times.. :laugh:

so far so youn's costumes suited her well.. and looks pretty..

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
i wonder if they only have one costume designer in korea?? i still remember yuna's costume designer became public enemy number 1 when they saw her costume for send in the clowns at zagreb.. :laugh: heck even the designer's website got terrorized!! hehehehe.. then they changed their opinions when yuna skated clean at korean nationals.. good times.. :laugh:

so far so youn's costumes suited her well.. and looks pretty..

Wow, really? Did they just see a picture of the dress itself, not on Yuna? I guess I can see why they would not like the color, but the design is very pretty. It turned out o be quite elegant, flowy, and unique.

I would not be surprised if the designer for So Youn 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 is one of the ones Yuna used. The turtleneck from last year's LP reminds me of the Adios Nonino turtleneck, the Juliet dress reminds me of Les Mis, and the Rondo dress reminds me a bit of Gershwin. The skater is totally different though! ;)

Tallorder

On the Ice
Wonderful basics. Now some seasoning, mileage, inspiration and creative spark. She is well positioned with the quad pointing her to her home country. I genuinely look forward to watching this lovely young skater progress.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yeah, same Korean designer. Yuna's dress before 2010 is designed by a French Canadian. Fans loves that designer to death. so it is kinda hard to accept the style change. Kinda like me, when Dior changed designer....
But then, gradually, the korean designer established her style. Yuna's farewell show dresses are all well received and SoYoun's dress are all pretty.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
With the generally positive review of So Youn's first GP outing from the forum, this gif has never felt so relevant

dna5019

Final Flight
I'm looking forward to this lovely young lady's journey to Pyeongchang. Yes, she has a few kinks to iron out, but she's still young; with more practice and confidence, I think she is going to develop into something very special. I miss the veterans very much, but after watching Skate America, I'm really looking forward to this new quad! So much talent to look out for...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
She is not slow, not super fast but not slow IMO. She skates very light. I love her arms. But it's true that she's a bit slower when it comes to foot work. It's still early in ththe season, she will grow faster IMO.
isnt this my live report :biggrin::laugh:

Kuan

Final Flight
@ Meoima
You are right. But she already improved a lot during this two months. I was very worried about her foot work during asian open. She stumled so often in her stepsc, in both SP and FS. The steps seemed to be to difficult fot her. But now they were more fluid and presice. All she need is to add more speed, as you mentioned. :) I am a very proud fan.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
rewatched SoYoun, liza, Sami and Gracie's LP on HD.
some thoughts:
Sami is more impressive live than on screen. not because of her speed but her performance.
Gracie's choreo is checking box.
Liza, I love this program for her and her musicality and her effort to put more flairs here and there.
SoYoun, David's choreo has progressed way beyond simply hitting notes/poses but interpret the texture of music. it is more and more prominent in his recent work.

Remembered one poster said on other threads, SoYoun's program is the least "box checking" among all ... Indeed...

watch both SoYoun's SP and LP, feel that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
@ Meoima
You are right. But she already improved a lot during this two months. I was very worried about her foot work during asian open. She stumled so often in her stepsc, in both SP and FS. The steps seemed to be to difficult fot her. But now they were more fluid and presice. All she need is to add more speed, as you mentioned. :) I am a very proud fan.
Totally agree. She looks much better and faster than in Asian Open. She is heading to the right direction. I am not a fan of David Wilson, but I never say these programs he created for her are not good. In fact these programs are quite good for her debut.
As long as she proves her consistency, I can see GP medals and even world podium. It's just we will have to be very patient.
I wonder if they will ever let her go to Orser, though. Famous coach can help her PCS IMO.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A famous coach definitely helps. :) But I wonder whether using a very famous choreographer has its downside? David Wilson's and Lori Nichol's stuff is looking very repetitive these days to me. And they are pricey. I would spend money on the coach first.

I loved So Youn a bit more when I saw her JGP Lake Placid. She had a unique style of her own. Now she looks more like David Wilson and less like So Youn Park to me.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=IBxkbIsaIWA

This program is memorable to me, and I still go and watch it from time to time.

Her SkAm programs I don't plan to watch again.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about her style being different then. I remember after WC's I started watching everything I could find on her and my favorites too were from this competition and obviously her WC FS! Her FS at Lake Placid is great too but she struggles a bit with her jumps but the CH and IN are as you say...quite unique. My favorite quality of her skating is her use of slow tempo. I find a lot of skaters look awkward or labored when skating slow. She looks confident and poised to me. She has a way of capitalizing on it where as others just look like the are dragging :bow:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
She is a lovely skater. So graceful and liquid in her movements.
I wasn't bored with her skating at all at SA but her program didn't strike me as especially unique. --Or it could be that I'm not a fan of David Wilson's choreo.
Anyway, I hope she finds more steadiness in her jumps and then she'll be off to the races!