So-Youn Park | Page 17 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

andyjo24

Medalist
Does anyone know when So Youn's next competition is? Is she going for any Senior-B's before 4CC? It would be great if she did, so she can get more experience and confidence. Once she gets the consistency and judges' acknowledgement, she has extremely great potential to challenge the top ladies due to her difficulty and beautiful artistry.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched SoYoun's COR LP and SP, I like her lean on her Y spiral, such deep edge. over-all, stronger second half performance.They kinda get the emotional feel that them wanna convey this time in the second half.
Also, compare to her "sassy" ex posted above, her new ex showed so much improvement from her skating, much deeper edges and a lot more whole body skating!
SoYoun's jumping technique and timing seems need extreme precision to done properly, If any hesitation may ruin the timing. I can understand that -2t after 3S.
cope with nerves, mistakes, failures, high expectation and unfair judging is what young skaters will need to learn. Good attitude is never complain or get frustrated but keep improving, I will always cheer for my fav girls. Just do your best next time. that is it, Good Luck.
Besides, please treat any injuries seriously!
btw, if they can choose, next time, please choose SA, SC and TEB, they usually have better camera work. And I just wish to collect "pretty" videos:p

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hey welcome back yyy... did wonder where you had gone. I thought her Ex was just lovely, really surprised by it! Think she did it better than her competition programs, it is funny how pressure can affect a performance. I wonder what went on between she and Zijun, they both have I dream a dream this year!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
:p :p I was transported into the 2D world for the last couple of weeks. :laugh:
Yeah, I can tell SoYoun's very nervous, she literally entered that stage freezing mode at the beginning of her programs, just rely on her muscle memory to perform and then really get into the music, later on. Yes her EX I just saw once so far, very good, the best from all her previous I dream a dream. She definitely got the essence of how should you dance in figure skating in that EX (better arms than her LP, too nervous there).
And I hope SoYoun and Zijun can both enter gala at 4CC or Worlds, perhaps they can do a duet together for the encore, that could be super!!!

Eclair

Medalist
Hey welcome back yyy... did wonder where you had gone. I thought her Ex was just lovely, really surprised by it! Think she did it better than her competition programs, it is funny how pressure can affect a performance. I wonder what went on between she and Zijun, they both have I dream a dream this year!

I would have never thought to read Os welcoming yyyskate back, lol. Since when have you two became best buddies?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Maybe they exchanged their emails or something? I like both girls, and they both have natural jumping talents.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
there is once a very cute clip of zijun and soyoun in their hotel room,having a girls night kinda thing (probably last 4CC or worlds), from Zijun's weibo. Soyoun is speaking korean and Zijun Chinese, and even that they seemly communicate pretty well and had so much fun (it is so funny). Then, I dont know if I can find that clip anymore, perhaps it is too private...:p

Meoima

Match Penalty
there is once a very cute clip of zijun and soyoun in their hotel room,having a girls night kinda thing (probably last 4CC or worlds), from Zijun's weibo. Soyoun is speaking korean and Zijun Chinese, and even that they seemly communicate pretty well and had so much fun (it is so funny). Then, I dont know if I can find that clip anymore, perhaps it is too private...:p
It's so cute that athletes don't need language to understand each other. :dance: I wish well for both ladies. They are Asian's hope now for me.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I would have never thought to read Os welcoming yyyskate back, lol. Since when have you two became best buddies?

??? What do you mean, I enjoy YYY's posts :)

Oh really? Please post it! The fact both of them doing the same program... heh... may be it is a message or something ;)

MiRé

Match Penalty
I can't wait to see So Youn at 4CC....Not to mention, it's in Korea so maybe....maybe....we'll get to see Yuna as well as a host or something :laugh:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I can't wait to see So Youn at 4CC....Not to mention, it's in Korea so maybe....maybe....we'll get to see Yuna as well as a host or something :laugh:

Me too, I am excited! Let's just wish her to stay calm and injury-free, and just enjoy every minute of what she does. :agree:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
so.. what's the purpose for this competition?? :disapp:

Hehehe, I think someone said in another thread that the competition is to determine who would be chosen as representatives for other competitions....(?) somrthing like that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hehehe, I think someone said in another thread that the competition is to determine who would be chosen as representatives for other competitions....(?) somrthing like that.
??????? Sorry bt I don't get it? It's true that So Youn need more competition, though. But why didn't they send her to senior B?

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
??????? Sorry bt I don't get it? It's true that So Youn need more competition, though. But why didn't they send her to senior B?

This is the thread I was talking about. Something that Jimeonji said.

I dunno the justification though for attending such competition. Maybe someone familiar with local competitions in Korea can enlighten us. So everyone has to go through the process....? I dunno... I actually don't know who exactly are they sending for 4CC aside from So Youn.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is the thread I was talking about. Something that Jimeonji said.

I dunno the justification though for attending such competition. Maybe someone familiar with local competitions in Korea can enlighten us.
I know the thread as I still follow it. Just kind of curious why they didn't send their promising skaters to international instead of home events. Some senior B will be better for them. Maybe because of traveling expenses. Kind of sad, though.

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I know the thread as I still follow it. Just kind of curious why they didn't send their promising skaters to international instead of home events. Some senior B will be better for them. Maybe because of traveling expenses. Kind of sad, though.

I guess So Youn just can't be exempted yet to these kinds of events. :( But this might be a good opportunity for the other (lower tier) skaters to compete against the best in their country. To get more exposure and such... (Me trying to look at the bright side.)

Is it possible they do this to get sponsors and raise money?

jimeonji

Final Flight

Pretty much all of the relevant Korean skaters are competing at Skate Korea, so I'm going to assume that it's mandatory or Very Important. Especially because Lee Junehyoung is going to JGPF in a week and he's still competing at this. Also, Kwak Minjung, who went with Yuna to Vancouver, is making a sort of comeback here and I read it was to try and get a spot to Winter Universiade. I also read that it was to select representatives to 4CC along with Winter Universiade, with no mention of Worlds, so I assumed Nationals was for Worlds only.

However, I may be wrong as my Korean really isn't that great. Perhaps Hailey or another native Korean speaker can correct me or give more details on the purpose of the competition?

(also, there are very few skaters competing here that are actually in university, so it should be easy for Minjung to get a spot. edit: maybe not. she didn't qualify for the FS)

Last edited:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Pretty much all of the relevant Korean skaters are competing at Skate Korea, so I'm going to assume that it's mandatory. Especially because Lee Junehyoung is going to JGPF in a week and he's still competing at this. Also, Kwak Minjung, who went with Yuna to Vancouver, is making a sort of comeback here and I read it was to try and get a spot to Winter Universiade. I also read that it was to select representatives to 4CC along with Winter Universiade, with no mention of Worlds, so I assumed Nationals was for Worlds only.

However, I may be wrong as my Korean really isn't that great. Perhaps Hailey or another native Korean speaker can correct me or give more details on the purpose of the competition?

(also, there are very few skaters competing here that are actually in university, so it should be easy for Minjung to get a spot.)

Yes, you're right.:)
It's not mandatory, but they should participate this competitions to get the chance to participate those events like 4CC and Universiade.
Skaters who satisfied minimum TES scores in international events before Skate Korea can get the spot of 4CC from this event.
But few of them satisfied minimum TES scores and eligible age for 4CC. Only 6 skaters met the qualification before this event: So youn, Hae jin, Ji hyun Byun, Kyueun Kim, Song ju Chae, and Tae kyoung Kim. (KSU informed that skaters should met the qualification "before" this event, so there will be no more qualifiers..)
However, Tae kyoung failed to get in the top 24, so she can't participate free tomorrow. So only 5 skaters have the chance.
Spots are only 3, so they have to compete tomorrow for get the tickets.

Others who didn't satisfy minimum TES or eligible age for 4CC also good to participate this event,
because they want to be a member of national team of Korea.
Adding the score of this competition and Korean national in next January, top 8 girls and top 4(? maybe 5) men can be on the national team. (not by ranks, scores)
KSU supports national team members by giving them free practice time for Taereung rink (maybe) and help to learn by the foreign sub-coaches, etc.
Also, they surely can save money for participate other B-events by free cost, because KSU supports that too.

It's bad news, but Minjung already lost spot for Universiade. :cry:
KSU had a inside guideline to select skaters who go to Universiade, and I think it was TES 20 points at short... She couldn't make it.
Also she can't go free tomorrow either. She was on 51st place in short..

Last edited: