Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So Youn Park

Custom Title
    Surya Bonaly and Midori Ito are not willowy types yet their jumps are monstrous. So Youn is fine as she is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I don't know how much weight affect women on their jumps. But if we talk about the jumps, then men should be heavier than women, right? If that is the case then she doesn't need to lose weight. I heard some girls have to put on weight so they can jump better.
    For men. they have strength and muscle so it different approach I guess. But I never heard anyone wants to put on weight for any reasons in figure skating. Coaches mostly are obsessed with small body type. In my opinion, the good coaches should be able to work with any body types. Look at Wagner, she has a strong body type but she can have the pretty spins no matter what. Her Biellmann looks even better than some small skaters.

So Youn obviously doesn't need to lose weight. But she needs to work on her consistency. Her nerves is always her biggest problems.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Tanith Belbin. 2010.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sp...cers.html?_r=0

This is an important article. Ten extra pounds made all the difference in the power of her skating. Anorexia or any other eating disorder is not a sustainable life style, for skaters or anyone else.

Check the photo of "too thin" Tanith. Several skaters on the current scene are even thinner.

Back then, she never thought her legs were too spindly or that her body was too chopstick-thin for her to be a strong skater. She thought she looked just fine.

“Ugh, I was so thin,” Belbin said in a recent interview at Ice Works, the rink where she trains with her partner, Ben Agosto. “You could see my bones jutting out; you could totally see my chest bone sticking out.”
    What do you need then?

You need to do muscle strengthening exercise.

She also began training harder off the ice, lifting weights, doing push-ups and participating in Karponosov’s boot camps, which involve hard-core skating drills to strengthen the legs.

Karponosov’s skaters would often complain that his drills made their legs so muscular that they could no longer fit into their jeans.
    And you need a healthy diet.
    Belbin began marveling at her new body. She had gained 10 pounds. Her waist size increased two inches because her core was so much stronger.

Agosto could see a huge difference in Belbin’s skating. During lifts, she was no longer a sack of potatoes, holding on for dear life. She could hold her positions much better, and that made it easier for Agosto because she did not move around as much.

Belbin says she wishes she had learned the importance of nutrition long ago. She said U.S. Figure Skating officials would have provided a nutritional counselor if she had asked them for one. But that phone call “never fit into her busy day,” Belbin said. In the end, she preferred educating herself.

“The message shouldn’t be, go consult a nutritionist; we need more education,” she said. “Skaters always sit there and wait to be told what to do, but in this case, they need to take the initiative and find out how to eat healthy.”
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-31-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Custom Title
    ^^Fascinating article. Everyone should read this before bashing skaters for weight issues. I was unaware of Tanith's issues with this.
    Thanks, Doris!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    For men. they have strength and muscle so it different approach I guess. But I never heard anyone wants to put on weight for any reasons in figure skating. Coaches mostly are obsessed with small body type. In my opinion, the good coaches should be able to work with any body types. Look at Wagner, she has a strong body type but she can have the pretty spins no matter what. Her Biellmann looks even better than some small skaters.

So Youn obviously doesn't need to lose weight. But she needs to work on her consistency. Her nerves is always her biggest problems.
    Didn't Ashley have to lose 5 lbs for the Sochi Olympics bc her coach thought her jumps would improve from the weight loss?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Didn't Ashley have to lose 5 lbs for the Sochi Olympics bc her coach thought her jumps would improve from the weight loss?
    I talked about her body type here. Not her weight.

Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    Don't hate me for saying this but IMO if she wants to do 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T, she needs to 1) lose weight, or 2) need some serious power training for leg muscles. Her chest is kinda big for her height and she needs lots of speed to land any kind of combo as it is. Compare her combos with, say, Yulia's. Yulia with no flow and mule kicks can eek out 3T combos because she is so small and her chest doesn't get in the way of rotation. I definitely prefer Park's textbook style (who knows what will happen to Yulia in the next few years), but nevertheless Park's 2nd/3rd jumps in combos are tiny because that chest puts quite a bit more stress on her legs when landing.

Example:

Check out her 2nd Lutz combo (3Lz-2T-2Lo) in realtime -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...PxN68vrU#t=169
    Slo-mo -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...PxN68vrU#t=340

Her TES was fine in WC 2014 and may even be enough in 2018 if Korea does Sochi , but 3-3 has become a staple of top flight contenders and she will need one other than 3T-3T.
    Loose weight???
    Where?

For comparison... Yuna Kim and Hae Jin Kim at Krean Nationals on the podium. pic 1 pic 2 She seems to be as slim as Yuna and Hae Jin. Ok, she has another bodytype, but still slim and well trained.

Note: This is a thread in FAN FESTS. If you are not a fan, then stay out of here. Criticism is ok, but that is vicius nonsense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by roxella View Post
    Couldn't agree more...She was indeed one of the most beautiful surprises at this Worlds. I saw her in Sochi also,but at that time I wasn't able to have a clear opinion about her But now I know exactly that I'll watch her more carefully . And I also believe she could medal at the 2018 Olympics

And of course,she is very beautiful and surly doesn't need to lose weight
    Well consider Adelina's highest world championship was 9th. So Young is equal to her already without a strong federation or any hype.

Eurosport broadcast (Hilarious mistakes as usual from Eurosport boyz, PyeonChang not PyeonYang. Also it is Rachmaninov not Andrew Lloyd Webber.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzPxN68vrU

CBC broadcast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDcWNS8FxI

Cute picture with team mate Jin-Seo, also Zijun and HanYan
    She and Zijun are good friends from their days at Youth Olympics as 3rd and 4th. Han Yan is listed to take part at Yuna's farewell ice show in May.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps41a18a42.jpg

Found it on tumblr. So Youn, you better work hard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Cute picture with team mate Jin-Seo, also Zijun and HanYan
    She and Zijun are good friends from their days at Youth Olympics as 3rd and 4th. Han Yan is listed to take part at Yuna's farewell ice show in May.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps41a18a42.jpg
    Yeah, they seem to be good friends. They also spend their time at 4CC gala-party together. With Zijun Li. They look cute!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
    Loose weight???

Note: This is a thread in FAN FESTS. If you are not a fan, then stay out of here. Criticism is ok, but that is vicius nonsense.
    I said lose weight or strengthen leg muscles for 3-3. What is vicious about it escapes me because I offered my analysis which I won't repeat here. I like her skating very much and want her to succeed.

Eurosport broadcast (Hilarious mistakes as usual from Eurosport boyz, PyeonChang not PyeonYang. Also it is Rachmaninov not Andrew Lloyd Webber.)

CBC broadcast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDcWNS8FxI
    What struck me from both the commentaries was how often they utter "judges," and "judging." What is it called, Freudian something..? Thank you for the links, os168.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Thank you for that video, Mrs. P. I stand corrected; she doesn't skate like a junior. I think my first impression came from rather incoherent choreo and music cuts than her movements.

BTW I love that camera work. So much better gauging the speed across the ice and everything just looks bigger. I hope NBC/BBC copies it.

Work on 3LZ-3T, she will be up there

so youn said that her goal is to get in the podium in pyeongchang... good for her!! at least that will be a motivation for her in the next 4 years to get better and be consistent...

and there are other young junior skaters in korea that are promising.. hopefully they will also get better..

and ksu SHOULD get their act together..

Happy Holidays to you! sunny_stars's Avatar
    I think her "debut" in this year's worlds was amazing and it showed her potential as a podium contender. I may sound odd but I'm thankful that she has the time to improve and get better so in case some certain event in Sochi occurs again in Pyeongchang, we can wholly say the she deserves her medal. I do hope KSU got a wake-up call after her placing this year. They should start on focusing on figure skating more! They have a deep pool of fs skaters that shows potential. My goodness, KSU should have built another ice rink already! Arrggghhh

only here for my juniors jimeonji's Avatar
    I watched So Youn's Worlds programs yesterday and was pleasantly impressed!! I hope to see some podium finishes this season, and it shouldn't be too much to expect for a win at Korean Nationals, right?
    small matter, but it actually is Andrew Lloyd Webber and not Rachmaninoff. That Paganini caprice is quite popular, and Rach wasn't the only one that wrote variations on it

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast