So-Youn Park | Page 6 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's going to get screwed over so bad, I know it.

If she skates two good GP's I have a feeling she will see better results the following season. She needs to be consistent as does everyone else. I have faith or high hopes at least that she can politic herself into the mix. Blade to ice. The best way IMO :yes:

s_parks

Record Breaker
If she skates two good GP's I have a feeling she will see better results the following season. She needs to be consistent as does everyone else. I have faith or high hopes at least that she can politic herself into the mix. Blade to ice. The best way IMO :yes:

Yeah, more than anything, I hope she becomes more consistent. That's been one of her main problems.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
But Korean fed chose the GP for her? :scratch:

That's not how it works. The host federation chooses the skaters rather than the skaters' federation choosing where to send them.

Korean skaters are somewhat at a disadvantage since they do not host a GP.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's not how it works. The host federation chooses the skaters rather than the skaters' federation choosing where to send them.

Korean skaters are somewhat at a disadvantage since they do not host a GP.
I am curious here, then why did some poster said Yulia had the choice to choose which GP she would go to and she chose TEB and Cup Of China? :confused: so because Russian Fed hosts Rosetele com, their skaters have the advantage to chose GP on their own?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I am curious here, then why did some poster said Yulia had the choice to choose which GP she would go to and she chose TEB and Cup Of China? :confused: so because Russian Fed hosts Rosetele com, their skaters have the advantage to chose GP on their own?

Here's roughly how it works, at least to my understanding (anyone please correct any errors!)

1. First, the host federations make up to 3 picks per discipline from their own country. (Presumably they work with their top skaters, at least to some degree, to do this.)
2. The top 3 skaters from the previous Worlds are the 'seeded' skaters (those retiring/sitting out the GP are removed, so the ladies' seeds this year were Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, and Gold). If a host federation chose a seeded skater as a host pick, they sit out this round. If not, then the seeded skater chooses the events they prefer in order of their seeding.
3. A draw is done to determine the order of the next round. In order of the draw, the host federations choose skaters who were placed 4-6 at Worlds. If a host federation chose a 4-6 skater as a host pick, they sit out this round.
4. A draw is done to determine the order of the next round. In order of the draw, the host federations choose skaters who were placed 6-9 at Worlds. If a host federation chose a 6-9 skater as a host pick, they sit out this round.
5. A draw is done to determine the order of the next round. In order of the draw, the host federations choose skaters who were placed 9-12 at Worlds. If a host federation chose a 9-12 skater as a host pick, they sit out this round.
6. In subsequent rounds, the host federations choose from those who are top 24 World Standings and top 24 Season's Best.

So you can see that the top 3 skaters have quite a bit of control and the host federations have quite a bit of control. Probably So-Youn was seen as one of the weaker skaters in the 6-9 round, so federations with strong ladies' programs would have wanted to select her to set up their skaters (eg USFS is trying to get Gracie a soft field, at least to some degree).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Youn would be part of the 4-6 group due to retirements/breaks of top skaters. But she still would be No. 6, so your point is valid.

cooper

Medalist
She's going to get screwed over so bad, I know it.

what she needs is to stay on her feet and with no disastrous performances.. it doesn't mean she has to win.. she just need to be consistent.. god i'm really hoping that she will do well together w/ hae jin kim this season..and their juniors.. it's good for korean figure skating in general and KSU will not bother to pressure yuna again.. :rolleye:

ahy

Final Flight
I really like how clean her jumping technique is. So assume that she will upgrade her jumping layout (i hope her spins will be upgraded too...), and be more consistent, I can see her medal in some events in this few years. It is going to be tough since she doesn't have a strong federation, but sometimes it will push you to strive for the best. I remember in an interview she said that her goal/dream is to medal in PyeongChang, so keep your dream alive Yuna Kid ;))) I also like her personality on the ice, so enjoyable to watch her.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
This program is still a beautiful piece to watch!!!:love:

Definitely one of the highlights of the whole competition for me. And I admire how dedicated the korean skating fans are to translating foreign commentary. It's sweet they're interested to know how their skaters are perceived in other countries :yay:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Her 2 GP assignments are with Mirai.

:) my 2 faves in one. waaah. but they both need to medal (heheheh)

Kuan

Final Flight
Found a cute pic with her and Stephane. :love: Must have been this spring during All That Skate in Seoul I think.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I also love how clean and technical her jumps are! And despite being young, her skating is very mature-looking. Good graceful arms and nice expressions. I hope she puts in a triple-triple combination! Her lutz is one of my favorite lutzes ever, she takes off on the right edge even if she falls.

jimeonji

Final Flight
yay program music!
SP - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens
LP - Romeo and Juliet soundtrack from 2013 movie
both choreo is by Wilson
source: http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/general/newsview?newsId=20140729102307489

short translation of what her management company said about her programs:
"Because it is her first season in the senior Grand Prix, [she] struggled to choose program music that was mature and cool." and "she trained and prepared hard so that for this season she could perform well [or wants to show a good image]."
(my Korean is entirely self taught so please correct me if I mistranslated.)

Barb

Record Breaker
yay program music!
SP - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens
LP - Romeo and Juliet soundtrack from 2013 movie
both choreo is by Wilson
source: http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/general/newsview?newsId=20140729102307489

short translation of what her management company said about her programs:
"Because it is her first season in the senior Grand Prix, [she] struggled to choose program music that was mature and cool." and "she trained and prepared hard so that for this season she could perform well [or wants to show a good image]."

Why Wilson ?? :no: . But I like the music

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I think Wilson is a good choreographer- just repetitive. Hopefully he's mixed things up a little this time around :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Wilson is a good choreographer- just repetitive. Hopefully he's mixed things up a little this time around :yes:
:mad: I am not Wilson's fan either. Ah!!! His programs for Yuzu and Javi and PChan! :bang:
But anyways, I think he has done a better job for ladies and his programs usually get high PCS. So Youn will get much higher PCS this season, I believe.:love:

jimeonji

Final Flight
at least Soyoun isn't using Nino Rota lol. I had a horror moment before I read the rest of the article.

thoakun

Final Flight
I'm not a Wilson fan but it's strategically smart for her to work with Wilson. His programs are often well-received by the judges and it may be easier to work with Wilson since he has a good professional relationship with Yuna. For her senior debut, she needs to get her act together. She can be more innovative later once she has proven herself ;)