So-Youn Park | Page 8 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

Meoima

Match Penalty
She is getting prettier. I can't help but smiling at her lovely expression. Her PCS is a bit low but it's Gp debut so she has time to move up for sure. Best wishes for her in the LP. :yay:

MiRé

Match Penalty
did NOT expect her to have 2nd highest TES in SA. She should be VERY glad she was able to achieve that even though she didn't medal. Looking very promising for Pyeongchang :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Love her!! :love: a strong debut IMO. I hope she will gain more confidence from now on.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Very pleased with her skating! Can't believe this is her senior GP debut, I hope this served as a good confidence booster! Her combos are getting harder and she's doing a great job of advancing her jumping layout from the last season. Her spins are faster! Call me a fan who will be watching her closely :)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think the only thing that I did't like about So Youn's FS program is the cut of the music. The music just seems so flat, like it needs drama or some oomph to really get So Youn to express more and make the program so much better. It's quite interesting since her R&J music soundtrack is very dramatic so it really is quite odd...:scratch:

my conclusion -> #BlameDW and probably Yuna as well since she might had some input on it :laugh:

Mangomango

On the Ice
Well done Soyoun!! You have a new fan now :love:
Your spins are getting so much better + your salchows are amazing!

cooper

Medalist
I think the only thing that I did't like about So Youn's FS program is the cut of the music. The music just seems so flat, like it needs drama or some oomph to really get So Youn to express more and make the program so much better. It's quite interesting since her R&J music soundtrack is very dramatic so it really is quite odd...:scratch:

my conclusion -> #BlameDW and probably Yuna as well since she might had some input on it :laugh:

the only thing i don't like about her free skate is that ending!! david wilson likes to put "stabbing" as part of his choreography..just because it emphasized in romeo and juliet = death..:no: the interpretation is so literal.. it happened in yuna's kiss of the vampire.. it happened here again.. :laugh: oh david.. :eek:hwell:

and good encouragement for park so youn from the korean media..

Park So-youn Makes Strong Debut on ISU Senior Circuit

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/10/27/2014102701572.html

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh DW...:bang:

Also not bad for Chosun Ilbo on making an article about Soyoun. I didnt even expect it since they mainly focus on golf, soccer and etc.

However, this quote unavoidably made me cringe:
Park is a rising figure skater who is expected to succeed Kim Yu-na at the top of the sport.
Really to the top already? :sarcasm: Well, expectations and comparisons can't be avoided. I really hope she gets a sponsor deal to get out of Korea FOR THE LONG TERM where she can't be touched by cameras and netizens in training.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Watched her LP again, and I must say, her coaches are doing a wonderful job on her jump techniques. Her 3s-2-2 combo was my favorite at SA.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
SoYoun: put her best in actually competition. did a clean SP run-through, so SP should be clean. But LP, she did her best in the actually competition. practice jump consistency is OKAY but never as consistent as Yuna or Radionova. Radionova is doing X+3T-3T-3T....
And SoYoun is having problem with her loop in practice as well. Lutz did not practice much. Did a lot of 3S-3T 2A-3T and 3F.
So she should be proud of herself.
Did her best in step sequence and spins. you can tell she put all her energy in that when watching live.
still a bit catching up with step sequence, which has a lot of up and down whole body movement, seems demanding for her.
SoYoun skates fast and light. but when doing step sequence is a little slow, (actually that is the same situation with almost everyone when you are doing difficult turns etc. except for Jeremy and Denis ).
SoYoun's step sequence ice tracing is good not great .
Ending pose tempo changed. slower than before. It is also like that in practice.
very delicate, and attention to details, but could use a bit more projection, sharpness, I suppose R&J is suppose to be soft, sweet and sad, but SP could use more power. by the way, her close-up look after SP really stunned me, when I watched that on big screen.:eek::
I would say, keep up with the good work, improvement is already good, cannot demand too much :biggrin:
SoYoun has her unique presence among all the girls. It is good to just come out and skate your best and present your beauty in your own way.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Thank you for that live report, yyyskate! Although So Youn has a long way to go, it's amazing if you consider how fast she's developing. Of course, we can't demand too much as it is her first senior season.

Now my thoughts on your live report! Her loop problem in practice probably got carried through the long program. I would suggest that she practices both the loop and the lutz in off-camera training so they dont jinx her as much. Also, we can't really expect So Youn to be as consistent with her jumps in the practice/warm-up. However, I do think that her team also needs to work on her coping mechanisms on both warmup and program so she can have more focus anf confidence. From the presentation side, everything can be improved upon as said by everyone in here and the SA threads.

Overall, she had a pretty solid debut. No major falls and UR to take account. She didn't let herself down and she continued to skate her best even after the step out and the fall.

Tl:dr: her team has to plan how she practices carefully

am i being too critical? O_O

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
the only thing i don't like about her free skate is that ending!! david wilson likes to put "stabbing" as part of his choreography..just because it emphasized in romeo and juliet = death..:no: the interpretation is so literal.. it happened in yuna's kiss of the vampire.. it happened here again.. :laugh: oh david.. :eek:hwell:

and good encouragement for park so youn from the korean media..

Park So-youn Makes Strong Debut on ISU Senior Circuit

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/10/27/2014102701572.html

I agree her ending pose could be slightly improved, but why do you say it is "stabbing"? It is a bit sudden, I agree, but it is not out of place at all. Also, Yu-Na's KOV is one of my favorite programs ever. It gives me chills every time.

Really looking forward to more from this beautiful girl. I just hope she does her absolute best in the next competition despite the obvious pressure, God bless her and let her not be affected by anything negative.

MalAssada

Medalist
Miss Ice, I think cooper means stabbing as the real act of stabbing herself, and therefore dying.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Miss Ice, I think cooper means stabbing as the real act of stabbing herself, and therefore dying.

Yeah, I understood that, but I didn't catch that meaning in the ending pose. Maybe I should watch again closer.

Also, what place must So Youn get in Rostelecom to get a ticket to GPF? I am quite worried about some serious home ice advantage there... :think: :slink:

Also, is David Wilson working with any other Korean skaters, or just So Youn? Because I have immense respect for him as a choreographer, he really made Yu-Na shine and discover her musicality, from what I got from reading accounts from both him and Yu-Na. :)

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Also, what place must So Youn get in Rostelecom to get a ticket to GPF? I am quite worried about some serious home ice advantage there... :think: :slink:

Also, is David Wilson working with any other Korean skaters, or just So Youn? Because I have immense respect for him as a choreographer, he really made Yu-Na shine and discover her musicality, from what I got from reading accounts from both him and Yu-Na. :)

Very minimal chance unless someone decides to take a leave before gpf.
Yulia, Elena, Ade, Anna, Liza, and Satoko or Ashley are basically the skaters for gpf. She was to win CoR which is really impossible. Buut, she does have a good chance on winning her first GP medal (possibly bronze).

DW is also working with Jin Seo and Hae Jin. I've been liking what he has done with Jin Seo the most though. He really made Jimbo seem like he's enjoying his time which imo is pretty rare.

edit: nvm she has no chance to get into gpf. she has to pass sam and gracie first.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
#DavidMustGo :laugh:
Ya know Patrick's new LP is also David's work. Some times, you need to consider skater's capability.
If SoYoun can clean LP perfectly this season once, it will be a great success for her. it is a step-up technically from last season.
First, she need to get this accomplished, Then think about put more transitions or more complicated program.
I think, she may not be in her best condition this time. practice jump condition was only good on first day. maybe that is the reason her team changed lutz into 3S.
and she is nervous indeed.

cooper

Medalist
and about the "stabbing" part i saw that also in yuna's giselle program.. :laugh: oh david.. :bang:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
SoYoun: put her best in actually competition. did a clean SP run-through, so SP should be clean. But LP, she did her best in the actually competition. practice jump consistency is OKAY but never as consistent as Yuna or Radionova. Radionova is doing X+3T-3T-3T....
And SoYoun is having problem with her loop in practice as well. Lutz did not practice much. Did a lot of 3S-3T 2A-3T and 3F.
So she should be proud of herself.
Did her best in step sequence and spins. you can tell she put all her energy in that when watching live.
still a bit catching up with step sequence, which has a lot of up and down whole body movement, seems demanding for her.
SoYoun skates fast and light. but when doing step sequence is a little slow, (actually that is the same situation with almost everyone when you are doing difficult turns etc. except for Jeremy and Denis ).
SoYoun's step sequence ice tracing is good not great .
Ending pose tempo changed. slower than before. It is also like that in practice.
very delicate, and attention to details, but could use a bit more projection, sharpness, I suppose R&J is suppose to be soft, sweet and sad, but SP could use more power. by the way, her close-up look after SP really stunned me, when I watched that on big screen.:eek::
I would say, keep up with the good work, improvement is already good, cannot demand too much :biggrin:
SoYoun has her unique presence among all the girls. It is good to just come out and skate your best and present your beauty in your own way.

Wow what great report! To watch it live must be incredible. I did laugh a little inside on the curse of the 3loop for the Koreans, whats up with this 3loop?! Yeah I felt she was nervous, but she controlled it very well.

What is important is she has improved over last couple of weeks and delivered when it count. Although her PCS was low (something like 4th lowest in the SP?) it did rise up the rankings during the LP, so it is a promising improvement already. To expect any more at this point is probably unrealistic.. (I guess I am naturally cynical about GP judging, due to the home advantages and how typical these biases are accepted by ISU is entirely ridiculous imo)

I must say, SoYoun does lovely, sweet, innocent, delicate and tenderness very well (romantic young Juliet), infact better than any competitors I can think of right now even. But the program can benefit from better clarification. To demonstrate more distinctive emotional growth and character progression of Juliet (2nd part- Love Awakening/Maturing Juliet), other wise the stabbing (3rd part -Tragic Juliet) at the end would makes no sense or have little impact. (If she can complete the dying stabbing 1 second before the music end, it can have a bigger dramatic effect.) The 2nd part meeting of Romeo and Juliet - step sequence can improve with some music tuning to the waltz with greater conviction and greater tension. It should be the emotional transition part of the program, ideally timed with the skating stride movement.

People keep complain about David Wilson Choreography, but really he and his music editors knows what they are doing. The people who slight the program and music as boring and meandering are baseless. They are either prejudiced already, have an agenda or seriously sensitivity depraved. The 3 arch of the story is on a linear path, Not on abstraction, nor based on the one passage/theme of the story. Once the movement are tuned to the music intentions, the whole thing will make clearer sense. Just like Adios in its early phase, it is about getting the tech right and the foundation set first, then work on the expressions. If So Youn can hold some of her spirals positions and choreography bit longer to create sort of a sustain pedal effect at end of key music phrasings (Yuna is a master of this on an instinctual level). These maturing/polish things are naturally finely tuned as the season progresses. Once she add 3lz jump combo back, wow!!! Watch out, TES!! Greater consistency, GOE as well as PCS follows. Fingers crossed at Cup of Russia. It should be a test of nerves. I have no idea what kind of audience she will face, hopefully less hostile than the ones that greeted Yuna on her last 2 competitions there.

I kind of feel bad for HaeJin actually, hope she do not feel neglected. If anything So Youn's good progress should help to motivate her to do better. She has Cup of China and Skate Canada coming up, not too shabby!! Especially with programs by Lambiel and Wilson. I am just thinking, if people are complaining that SoYoun remind them of Yuna already, can you imagine how much more the complaints will be with HaeJin?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ indeed, SoYoun need to hold her spiral a bit longer. and small things like that, fabulous opening. I knew that loop wont work the moment she enter it. but great fighter spirit comeback strong for 2A-3T. the second half of that program could be stronger, just like you said, and she is working so hard on her last spin:laugh: Ending pose change seems intentioned that way. a slow dying:laugh: it is a slow process end with the last flip of hand. kinda like the dying swan ballet. the last moment... we will see what the ending should be in next outing.
and there is a great moment, right in front of judges, show-off her pretty face:eek:::laugh: oh David:laugh:
I only re-watched SoYoun's lp once, all these come from my live experience memory.