Weaver & Poje and Capellini & Lanotte cheer thread | Golden Skate

Weaver & Poje and Capellini & Lanotte cheer thread

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
About a year ago I made the bold prediction that Weaver & Poje would medal at the Sochi Olympics and win their first world medal, which most laughed at the time. Unfortunately the Olympic one didnt come close to coming to pass due to a very poor SD performance by W&P which crushed their medal hopes in Sochi, but they sure came through at worlds with a silver medal which nobody was predicting (I wasnt even either at that point) even with V&M and D&W out. Only 0.02 away from the gold too. Hopefully this is the start of them finally getting the recognition from the judges they have long deserved. Personally I thought they should have won but oh well, there will be other chances for sure. The key was finally having a really good SD which they have struggled with mightily all season long (except Skate Canada). It is clear they will be contenders for gold in the coming years, since even if I&K stay together and become the team to beat they are not infallible to big mistakes as they showed again here.

Cappellini & Lanotte have been the surprise team of the season. European gold was a big surprise to many. World gold though was something nobody imagined. The talk before worlds was maybe an outside shot at the bronze, since B&S, I&K, W&P, and P&B were all still talked about as stronger contenders than them. I know some dont agree with their win and think it should have gone to P&B or W&P, but it was a very close contest and could have gone to either of the three (not a blatantly ridiculous and impossible to justify result like the Olympic ladies for instance) so the judges decision should still be respected and they are the World Champions. It will be interesting to see if they continue. It has been a long journey to the top for them, but they are young enough to possibly keep going and in the open field will still be contenders.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
You & I have had our fights Pangtongfan but I'm happy you made this thread.
I love both of these couples. Such beauty in everything they do.
I think they came through in the same season (06/07) so they have competed together for quite a while.
C/L had an amazing SD this season. I've loved watching them skate to it & their FD has many lovely qualities.
W/P have such wonderful soft touches in their skating. They melt into the ice. You forget they are on skates.
It's really exciting to see other couples get their chance to shine now V/M & D/W have gone.
The next four years I think will be very open for ice dance.
B/S could come back stronger & maybe (praying & hoping) I/K might have second thoughts & stay together.
C/B have really improved too.
Does anyone know if C/L will continue to compete next season ?.
If W/P do then C/L should. It could be the next great rivalry.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I love W/P an am thrilled that they won their first world medal! :clap:

Also C/L were the cleanest and maybe shafted a few times so I'm thrilled to see them win too (not a huge fan of their programs this year though).

But let's be real here: your prediction would have only been bold only if D/W and V/M were competing. Had they competed, W/P would have placed 4th. Not to diminish their medal, but the moment D/W and V/M announced skipping Worlds, anyone with half a brain could have predicted W/P to medal - they were 5th in Sochi... Subtract the top 2 teams and assume a better SD than Sochi and a medal was practically a given.

Had you predicted C/L to medal let alone win, *that* would have been a bold prediction.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Both teams have so many options (program wise) to choose from.
C/L have done a lot of opera programs so I would like to see them try something a little different.
W/P have a wonderful exhibition program this season, so I would love to see them try something like that.
These two couples are so easy on the eye.
Even with so many technical elements to do their programs never look awkward. So talented.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, and with B/S pulling out, C/L and W/P were essentially shoeins for bronze.

My predictions were: I/K, P/B, W/P. Which as you say was your prediction, too.

Some might have picked C/L over W/P ... they were in a virtual tie in Sochi for 6th and 7th, splitting the segments and less than half a point apart.. and then B/S, V/M, and D/W all pulled out, so you most definitely weren't the only one to predict W/P medaling when probably half went with them and then half went with C/L.

My prediction was in fact wrong in that C/L beat W/P but instead of C/L pushing them off the podium, P/B erred (and were arguably underscored) and I/K messed up in their SD to take them out of the medals. Through a variety of circumstances - including solid skates - W/P won silver...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You said yourself, you thought W/P would win over I/K and P/B and thus win bronze to D/W and V/M - at the GPF and Worlds. Once the season progressed and I/K, B/S and P/B bested W/P at the Olympics (C/L, too) you most definitely changed your tune.

If V/M, D/W, and B/S had been slated to compete, there's no way you would have stood by your original prediction of W/P winning a World medal. But once they had a 50/50 shot at bronze against C/L, obviously your earlier prediction held true by virtue of withdrawals.

You were wrong about W/P winning their first GP, winning bronze at the GPF and winning bronze in Sochi, and lucked out that there were enough withdrawals for W/P to win a medal at Worlds. Hardly "bold" of you.

Quit pretending this love fest isn't also a pathetic attempt to pat yourself on the back for a prediction that half the people here probably could have made (and probably did make) after noting the Worlds withdrawals. :rolleye:

jaylee

Medalist
Congrats to both teams! They're two great teams and a world medal is definitely well-deserved. I loved both of their FDs this year.

alebi

Medalist
Anna's reaction to the score has no price :) I still have thrills!
This was my dream podium, my three favourite couples together :party: maybe not in the right positions if we think about the potential but it was ok considering the WHOLE competition

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Péchalat and Bourzat confirmed their retirement in the press conference. "No way!" was Pechalat's response to a question about them perhaps staying on for another year.

I guess that makes it official this time. ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I was hoping for Nathalie & Fabian to win, I was thrilled for Anna & Luca (whom I've always liked), and Weaver & Poje were wonderful, too. Very pleased with the podium! The results were pretty close for all three teams.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It was a thrilling result no doubt... And is nicely prospective for upcoming years with no clear favourite. Although are C/L and P/B moving on?