Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skaters Retiring in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Alissa Suzuki?
    there was supposed to be another comma, (i.e. Alissa, Suzuki)

Custom Title
    Sat next to Rockne and his family at Nats. At that point he hadn't made any decisions. He is engaged now - maybe time to move on. REALLY nice guy. I enjoyed talking to him while his brother skated in the dance competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    It's not that I disagree with anything you say, but despite the potential disadvantages to continuing vs the potential upsides, it is up to the skater (and if financially relevant, their families) to weigh these against one another and decide what they think is best for them to do, not us. Its their life.

Also, if for example Ashley Wagner, Carolina, Alissa Suzuki had given up when they were 20 ish (as many thought they should) they would not have reached their peak. They ARE exceptions, but they are not true outliers- there are enough of them that it isn't like they are a total anomaly.
    You make some good points, and certainly it should be the skater's decision what to do. It just makes me a bit sad to see a skater out there struggling, who doesn't look like she enjoys competing at all. To think of all the sacrifices these skaters make to not achieve their skating goals, and to think this same level of commitment to almost any other activity they could do in life would lead to a very successful outcome, makes me question the decision to stay around.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    You make some good points, and certainly it should be the skater's decision what to do. It just makes me a bit sad to see a skater out there struggling, who doesn't look like she enjoys competing at all. To think of all the sacrifices these skaters make to not achieve their skating goals, and to think this same level of commitment to almost any other activity they could do in life would lead to a very successful outcome, makes me question the decision to stay around.
    If all the skaters you say should pursue other things after age 20 did, there would be very few skaters left around..

I think Douglas Razzano is done as well. He was extremely emotional at nationals this year.

Custom Title
    I know we want people to go out on their own terms but I thik it is time to say farewell to Abbott and Alissa. they have had many many chances. I would love to see Zhang and Mirai develop to theri full potential but it may be time to bid adieu. Surely Mirai must realize Gracie and Ashley are very strong and Edmunds is developing well too. I still think she believes she has a world medal performance in her and yes it could happen. most likely will end up like Abbott.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Sat next to Rockne and his family at Nats. At that point he hadn't made any decisions. He is engaged now - maybe time to move on. REALLY nice guy. I enjoyed talking to him while his brother skated in the dance competition.
    It's too bad that Rockne has had so much trouble finding a partner since Keanna quit skating. They had so much potential and were the most charismatic pair the U.S. had. The fact they were both very telegenic was also a nice bonus, but it seemed her nerves and struggles with the SBS jumps became too much, leading to them being off the podium at 2010 Nationals. Since then Rockne has not been able to find a partner that he is able to endure with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    If all the skaters you say should pursue other things after age 20 did, there would be very few skaters left around..
    I am happy Akiko stayed around because she was a late bloomer. Ashley was a bit of a late bloomer, winning Nationals at 21. Other than those two, most of the older skaters have made an impact in the sport as teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    It's too bad that Rockne has had so much trouble finding a partner since Keanna quit skating. They had so much potential and were the most charismatic pair the U.S. had. The fact they were both very telegenic was also a nice bonus, but it seemed her nerves and struggles with the SBS jumps became too much, leading to them being off the podium at 2010 Nationals. Since then Rockne has not been able to find a partner that he is able to endure with.
    Keauna actually struggled with puberty and it was unfortunately during an Olympic year. :(

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    I haven't seen anything that says Agnes is doing SOI.
    I really hope Agnes continues. But, it must me terribly difficult for her to watch her family struggle financially the way they do. I think she has a ton of talent, she just hasn't been able to put all the parts together yet.

Banned
    Brubaker needs to quit and get a real life. Abbott needs to quit so he can stop torturing all of us with his presence. Alissa needs to quit to save her hips.

Custom Title
    Agnes Z will fall out of the top 24 on the WR list after the old data is removed, and she isn't in any USFS envelope, so there will probably be no GP events this season. If she does some summer comps and has good results, USFS might send her to a "B"--that's about the best she can hope for.

Caroline Zhang will fall completely off the WR list because she's had no scoreable results over the past two seasons, and she's not in any USFS envelope either. I'd say she's done.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Brubaker needs to quit and get a real life. Abbott needs to quit so he can stop torturing all of us with his presence. Alissa needs to quit to save her hips.
    If it weren't for Abbott, the US wouldn't be able to send 3 men to Worlds 2015. Jeremy's performances at Worlds this past week were wonderful, far better than Max Aaron's, who stumbled and stepped out of half of his jumps in the FS. And for your information, Jeremy had already announced that he would be retiring after Worlds 2014.

Rockne Brubaker will retire when he feels he is ready to do so.

I agree that Alissa probably should be careful and stay away from competition. But that is her decision.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If it weren't for Abbott, the US wouldn't be able to send 3 men to Worlds 2015. Jeremy's performances at Worlds this past week were wonderful, far better than Max Aaron's, who stumbled and stepped out of half of his jumps in the FS. And for your information, Jeremy had already announced that he would be retiring after Worlds 2014.

Rockne Brubaker will retire when he feels he is ready to do so.

I agree that Alissa probably should be careful and stay away from competition. But that is her decision.
    ALL OF THIS!
    And I'm pretty sure Alissa retired from competition and is just doing shows now.

Custom Title
    Chuckm

I think one of Rockne's major challenges is his height. MaryBeth Marley was well-suited to him but they just didn't have any chemistry. You can't put a fantastic pairs team together in less than a year.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast