Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skaters Retiring in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Chuckm

I think one of Rockne's major challenges is his height. MaryBeth Marley was well-suited to him but they just didn't have any chemistry. You can't put a fantastic pairs team together in less than a year.
    I think he and MBM had a good vibe between them by the end. They were in over their head with the deeper themes, but their Singin in the Rain had VERY good infectious energy and a sort of light, sunny chemistry between them. At least they looked like they were enjoying skating (together) which is more than I can say for him and Lindsay Davis ever for even one second of a program and more than I can say for him and KM for the last year of their partnership too unfortunately. I would have been very interested to have seen how he and MBM could have progressed. I truly and 100% believe that had she not retired they would currently be the top US pair.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Agnes Z will fall out of the top 24 on the WR list after the old data is removed, and she isn't in any USFS envelope, so there will probably be no GP events this season. If she does some summer comps and has good results, USFS might send her to a "B"--that's about the best she can hope for.

Caroline Zhang will fall completely off the WR list because she's had no scoreable results over the past two seasons, and she's not in any USFS envelope either. I'd say she's done.
    Agnes will probably get an SA slot. Caroline may still try to make Nationals through the qualifying route.

Down With It
    I know Edmunds, Gold, Wagner(!) and Nagasu indicated wanting to continue on for the next quad. But how about Gao & Zawadzki?

Custom Title
    I think Agnes ought to consider moving on. Since her silver medal at Nats she really hasn't been able to do much. I just don't see her or Caroline Zhang being significant on the national scene and definitely not on the international scene. Same with Christina Gao. All promise - no delivery.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I know Edmunds, Gold, Wagner(!) and Nagasu indicated wanting to continue on for the next quad. But how about Gao & Zawadzki?
    While she hasn't indicated anything, Gao is a smart girl and likely knows her olympic chance was this year. That's why she was so devastated in the K&C in Boston. She's at Harvard and I just don't see her hanging on for no reason a la Zhang.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    While she hasn't indicated anything, Gao is a smart girl and likely knows her olympic chance was this year. That's why she was so devastated in the K&C in Boston. She's at Harvard and I just don't see her hanging on for no reason a la Zhang.
    I agree it's probably time for her to move on. I enjoy her skating but she has a lot of good things going on for her outside of the rink, so her focus is best put to use there. I have a lot of respect for skaters like Rachel Flatt who move on in favor of higher education. And, in all likelihood, successful careers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think he and MBM had a good vibe between them by the end. They were in over their head with the deeper themes, but their Singin in the Rain had VERY good infectious energy and a sort of light, sunny chemistry between them. At least they looked like they were enjoying skating (together) which is more than I can say for him and Lindsay Davis ever for even one second of a program and more than I can say for him and KM for the last year of their partnership too unfortunately. I would have been very interested to have seen how he and MBM could have progressed. I truly and 100% believe that had she not retired they would currently be the top US pair.
    Although Rockne seems like a very charismatic guy, I'm wondering if maybe he is too intense or difficult to get along with.

He seems to have had trouble keeping more than one partner in a row now. First KM left skating and that partnership ended. Then MBM left skating and another partnership ended. Now it appears that his partnership with LD is not that positive either.

About Christina Gao - I think she managed to balance studying and competing quite well in the 2012-13 season - I believe I recall seeing an interview with her where she said she enjoyed doing both, and that she liked the combination. I think either could become too intense perhaps for her, if she only concentrates on one - we are all different, and different things work for us. Maybe it works for her to do both. Anyway, I enjoy watching her skate, so if she intends to continue, I'll be glad. She might take it season by season, and not be aiming for 2018 or anything like that. Who knows?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Although Rockne seems like a very charismatic guy, I'm wondering if maybe he is too intense or difficult to get along with.

He seems to have had trouble keeping more than one partner in a row now. First KM left skating and that partnership ended. Then MBM left skating and another partnership ended. Now it appears that his partnership with LD is not that positive either.
    Before any rumors get started, I just want to mention that his first partner Keauna decided to leave the sport due to a growth spurt/puberty issues that interfered with her ability to successfully do jumps. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's second partner, also decided to take a break from skating due to struggling with an eating disorder, which she mentioned here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news. As for his third partnership, I have no idea whether or not he and Lindsay Davis are having problems, so I cannot comment. I personally think that it's simply just a case of Rockne having bad luck when it comes to pair partnerships. But that's life. No one can predict what's going to happen in the future, especially when it comes down to whether an athlete remains physically healthy, injury free, and fully capable of competing at the elite level. I just think it's careless to speculate someone's attitude and behavior as being the reason why they have had several failed partnerships, especially when Rockne has not shown (at least to the public) himself as being a demanding or "difficult" person. Speculating and saying things like, he may be "too intense" and hard to get along with can be damaging to his reputation, especially when we as fans don't really know what went on, aside from what is reported or mentioned in the press.

Banned
    Flatt
    Zhang
    Gao
    Zawadzki
    Ciszny - official

So no word on Rippon? I hope he stays in, he still may have a chance to bring it at Nationals. 2018 is his last hope. If he gets passed his demons and gets a solid quad he can do well in the next 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    Before any rumors get started, I just want to mention that his first partner Keauna decided to leave the sport due to a growth spurt/puberty issues that interfered with her ability to successfully do jumps. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's second partner, also decided to take a break from skating due to struggling with an eating disorder, which she mentioned here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news. As for his third partnership, I have no idea why he and Lindsay Davis have split, so I cannot comment. I personally think that it's simply just a case of Rockne having bad luck when it comes to pair partnerships. But that's life. No one can predict what's going to happen in the future, especially when it comes down to whether an athlete remains physically healthy, injury free, and fully capable of competing at the elite level. I just think it's careless to speculate someone's attitude and behavior as being the reason why they have had several failed partnerships, especially when Rockne has not shown (at least to the public) himself as being a demanding or "difficult" person. Speculating and saying things like, he may be "too intense" and hard to get along with can be damaging to his reputation, especially when we as fans don't really know what went on, aside from what is reported or mentioned in the press.
    Oh did he and Davis officially split?

Down With It
    I figured Czisny was done but is it true that she's made an official announcement? I must have missed it...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Oh did he and Davis officially split?
    I don't think it's official yet, but I read on another skating forum today that Rockne is retired and may have already accepted a new job as a skating director at an ice rink in Chicago. I will go back and re-edit my post though where I said they have split, just so that there won't be any confusion that he has officially retired in case he hasn't yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    Before any rumors get started, I just want to mention that his first partner Keauna decided to leave the sport due to a growth spurt/puberty issues that interfered with her ability to successfully do jumps. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's second partner, also decided to take a break from skating due to struggling with an eating disorder, which she mentioned here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news. As for his third partnership, I have no idea whether or not he and Lindsay Davis are having problems, so I cannot comment. I personally think that it's simply just a case of Rockne having bad luck when it comes to pair partnerships. But that's life. No one can predict what's going to happen in the future, especially when it comes down to whether an athlete remains physically healthy, injury free, and fully capable of competing at the elite level. I just think it's careless to speculate someone's attitude and behavior as being the reason why they have had several failed partnerships, especially when Rockne has not shown (at least to the public) himself as being a demanding or "difficult" person. Speculating and saying things like, he may be "too intense" and hard to get along with can be damaging to his reputation, especially when we as fans don't really know what went on, aside from what is reported or mentioned in the press.
    Perhaps I should have phrased it a bit better. I've often spoken well of Rockne's pair skating abilities in the past and rooted for him.

I guess my point was that sometimes a person can have many good qualities as an athlete but may have a personality that doesn't quite match up with others and lead to them going through several partnerships. I wasn't suggesting Rockne wasn't a good guy. Multiple partnerships are indeed quite common in the skating world and it can be for a variety of reasons, including bad luck.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast