Skaters Retiring in the US? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters Retiring in the US?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
So no word on Rippon? I hope he stays in, he still may have a chance to bring it at Nationals. 2018 is his last hope. If he gets passed his demons and gets a solid quad he can do well in the next 4 years.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Before any rumors get started, I just want to mention that his first partner Keauna decided to leave the sport due to a growth spurt/puberty issues that interfered with her ability to successfully do jumps. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's second partner, also decided to take a break from skating due to struggling with an eating disorder, which she mentioned here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130727&content_id=54942766&vkey=ice_news. As for his third partnership, I have no idea why he and Lindsay Davis have split, so I cannot comment. I personally think that it's simply just a case of Rockne having bad luck when it comes to pair partnerships. But that's life. No one can predict what's going to happen in the future, especially when it comes down to whether an athlete remains physically healthy, injury free, and fully capable of competing at the elite level. I just think it's careless to speculate someone's attitude and behavior as being the reason why they have had several failed partnerships, especially when Rockne has not shown (at least to the public) himself as being a demanding or "difficult" person. Speculating and saying things like, he may be "too intense" and hard to get along with can be damaging to his reputation, especially when we as fans don't really know what went on, aside from what is reported or mentioned in the press.

Oh did he and Davis officially split?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I figured Czisny was done but is it true that she's made an official announcement? I must have missed it...

lilshorty

On the Ice
Oh did he and Davis officially split?

I don't think it's official yet, but I read on another skating forum today that Rockne is retired and may have already accepted a new job as a skating director at an ice rink in Chicago. I will go back and re-edit my post though where I said they have split, just so that there won't be any confusion that he has officially retired in case he hasn't yet.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Before any rumors get started, I just want to mention that his first partner Keauna decided to leave the sport due to a growth spurt/puberty issues that interfered with her ability to successfully do jumps. Mary Beth Marley, Rockne's second partner, also decided to take a break from skating due to struggling with an eating disorder, which she mentioned here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130727&content_id=54942766&vkey=ice_news. As for his third partnership, I have no idea whether or not he and Lindsay Davis are having problems, so I cannot comment. I personally think that it's simply just a case of Rockne having bad luck when it comes to pair partnerships. But that's life. No one can predict what's going to happen in the future, especially when it comes down to whether an athlete remains physically healthy, injury free, and fully capable of competing at the elite level. I just think it's careless to speculate someone's attitude and behavior as being the reason why they have had several failed partnerships, especially when Rockne has not shown (at least to the public) himself as being a demanding or "difficult" person. Speculating and saying things like, he may be "too intense" and hard to get along with can be damaging to his reputation, especially when we as fans don't really know what went on, aside from what is reported or mentioned in the press.

Perhaps I should have phrased it a bit better. I've often spoken well of Rockne's pair skating abilities in the past and rooted for him.

I guess my point was that sometimes a person can have many good qualities as an athlete but may have a personality that doesn't quite match up with others and lead to them going through several partnerships. I wasn't suggesting Rockne wasn't a good guy. Multiple partnerships are indeed quite common in the skating world and it can be for a variety of reasons, including bad luck.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Its been nearly two months since worlds so it would be cool if we can get an official retiring/split list going because this post season has been a mess!

makaihime

Final Flight
Its been nearly two months since worlds so it would be cool if we can get an official retiring/split list going because this post season has been a mess!

:bang: I don't even know what's what and who's with who anymore at this point.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Well we know that Marissa and Simon have split, who else?

Here is my best attempt at a US pairs inventory

Confirmed returning
]Zhang/Bartholomay
Scimeca/Knierim (rumored to be working with Marcotte on choreography)
Denney/Frazier (announced music, choreo by Renee Roca)
Kayne/O'Shea
Calalang/Sidhu
Shaughnessy/Morgan
Aaron/Settlage- Jr Champs moving up

Confirmed split-
Castelli/Shnapir via USFS press release **both expressed intent to look for new partners

Assumed to split based on removal from International Selection Pool List
Leng/Leduc (heavily rumored to have tried out with Castelli and Shnapir respectively)
Dolan/Speroff (rumored she wants to continue)
Davis/Brubaker (Rockne has taking a job as director of IL rink; Lindsay's plans unclear although after two one season partnerships with formerly successful guys, maybe she's calling it a day)
Pfund/Reiss
Liu/Perini- Jr silver medalists; she has a new Junior partner as he was aging out

Denney and Coughlin are still listed in the International Selection Pool (as are Castelli & Shnapir at this point). But they haven't made any statements decisively. TSL indicated she was looking for a new partner about a month ago. Its crazy to think that she's younger than Castelli & Scimeca and the same age as Kayne & Zhang because we've had her on the scene for so long now. She really could go several more years in pairs.

I believe the federations have to turn over lists of potential GP skaters to the ISU by 6/3 for selections by 6/27 so I expect we'll hear about the new partners of C/S and the future of D/C very soon

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here is my best attempt at a US pairs inventory

Confirmed returning
... Aaron/Settlage- Jr Champs moving up

Just noticed that Aaron/Settlage are #32 on the World Standings list ... and by my count, at least seven pairs above them b have split or retired. :think:

I think Douglas Razzano is done as well. He was extremely emotional at nationals this year.

Per Razzano's new blog entry today, he will continue to compete in the coming season. :)
Looking ahead, I have committed to skating this season and am currently in the overwhelming process of trying to select music for new programs.

His comments on his FS at Nationals this year:
Being in seventh after the short, I knew an Olympic spot was pretty much out of the question. Therefore, I could go out and skate in the freeskate, not trying to get anything, not trying to defend anything, but freely and I did just that. Never in my life have I had moment like I had then. To see so many people on their feet after my program was indescribable. The feeling that I had after I skated was something that I can't find anywhere else in life. It was overwhelming, it was emotional, it was truly amazing.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/douglasrazzano/blog.html#06022014

Alba

Record Breaker
Any news on Marissa? I like her so much, I would love for her a great partner.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Any news on Marissa? I like her so much, I would love for her a great partner.

Ugh I'm getting concerned that there's been no announcement or even rumors since the LeDuc thing weeks ago. She's so talented and I would hate it if she split from Simon without a plan and ends up not finding a partner.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I heard Jeremy is going to stay in and he is going to reuse his LP next season.

:laugh:
Sorry, I'm just being silly. Has anyone heard anything about him officially retiring?

BusyMom

Medalist
I heard Jeremy is going to stay in and he is going to reuse his LP next season.

:laugh:
Sorry, I'm just being silly. Has anyone heard anything about him officially retiring?
You almost gave me a heart attack. I like him but it's the time to move on. (pleaseee):p

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Seems like all the ladies staying? Caroline Zhang is also coaching I heard!

Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for Caroline...but if I had a child who was learning to skate, I wouldn't want her teaching my kid anything other than spins and a COE spiral.

Caroline's basic skating was weak, her technique on every jump except the loop was bad (and even that she cranked around using her entire upper body for more than half of her career), she never learned any difficult transitions, shallow edges...

Is that mean to say? Am I wrong to say I wouldn't want Caroline teaching my kid basics?

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I hope Jeremy stays in for another 10 years and I don't even like him that much

Skating fans are so bossy D:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for Caroline...but if I had a child who was learning to skate, I wouldn't want her teaching my kid anything other than spins and a COE spiral.

Caroline's basic skating was weak, her technique on every jump except the loop was bad (and even that she cranked around using her entire upper body for more than half of her career), she never learned any difficult transitions, shallow edges...

Is that mean to say? Am I wrong to say I wouldn't want Caroline teaching my kid basics?

It's not mean but I will say that how well someone can do something is not always indicative of how well they might be able to understand or teach it.