Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Skaters Retiring in the US?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    I hope Jeremy stays in for another 10 years and I don't even like him that much

Skating fans are so bossy D:
    I'm not his fan at all but he should stay if he wants to. His habit of booming at nationals and busting internationally has understandably annoyed many people, but it's not like the other US men are doing a lot better.

Custom Title
    Jeremy did well at Worlds this year: he and Max got back 3 spots for Worlds 2015. So if he wants to stay one more year, he's entitled.

Custom Title
    Jeremy isn't going to ever win a World medal so why continue? He's almost 30 and can't even jump like he used to. If the young guys like Jason and Josh keep improving Jeremy is going to be left behind so what good is staying around another year?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Jeremy isn't going to ever win a World medal so why continue? He's almost 30 and can't even jump like he used to. If the young guys like Jason and Josh keep improving Jeremy is going to be left behind so what good is staying around another year?
    Maybe because he's entitled to if he wants and everyone's opinion here really doesn't factor in.
    I don't understand why it seems everyone has such a problem with Jeremy. Sure he sometimes bombs in competition with the jumps, but everything else is impeccable. Artistry for days. You can't really say that about many of the other US men, esp. when they bomb in international competition with their jumps.
    Not everyone watches figure skating to see a jump fest.

Custom Title
    ^^Maybe he just wants to compete, regardless of medals?

It is a bit of an odd thing to do (if he stays in) since he never came across as someone who liked competition. Quite the opposite, actually. But if he's fine with the stress, more power to him. Who are we to say no?

Custom Title
    Max isn't likely to ever medal because he has jumps but zero artistry, and with Tom Z coaching he'll never develop artistry. Max is hard to watch even when he lands the jumps and when he struggles with jumps he is awful. OTOH, Jeremy is watchable even when he doubles jumps because the rest of his skating is just that good.

I love both Josh and Jason but both of them struggle with jumps. Neither of them is likely to medal at Worlds any time soon.

Does that mean that all of the US men should retire since none of them are likely to medal at Worlds?

Custom Title
    He actually had some of his best scores ever in 13-14, and did well at Worlds. He was the highest scoring US man at Worlds. (skating injured) He got a quad in the short and long at nationals. His family wants him to quit by all accounts.

IF (and it's a big IF) he stays in , (per recent interview) it would only be for one year for another try at a World medal. He wants to put another quad in (presumably in the long). But-he will only stay in if, after training for the summer, he is stronger than last season and making progress. (I'll try to find the link) http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bbott-s-career

He has said several times he enjoys the rush of competing.

If he keeps the quad in the short and can get two quads in the long-he will be competitive.
    Last edited by centerpt1; 06-04-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add link

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    It's not mean but I will say that how well someone can do something is not always indicative of how well they might be able to understand or teach it.
    Very true, I suppose. Who knows? If it's true and she is coaching, she may end up being a better teacher than she was a skater. I was obsessed with her in her heyday (2007-2009) but she's definitely a skater who suffered from a lack of proper foundation as well as puberty issues. I do love that she was able to fight her way back to the podium in 2012 but ultimately, her issues took her out of it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    He actually had some of his best scores ever in 13-14, and did well at Worlds. He was the highest scoring US man at Worlds. (skating injured) He got a quad in the short and long at nationals. His family wants him to quit by all accounts.

IF (and it's a big IF) he stays in , (per recent interview) it would only be for one year for another try at a World medal. He wants to put another quad in (presumably in the long). But-he will only stay in if, after training for the summer, he is stronger than last season and making progress. (I'll try to find the link) http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...bbott-s-career

He has said several times he enjoys the rush of competing.

If he keeps the quad in the short and can get two quads in the long-he will be competitive.
    You really think someone who will be 29 tomorrow is suddenly going to be able to get two quads in the LP?

Custom Title
    I didn't think he could get a quad in the short ...ever. Or get a quad in the long and not have the rest of the program fall apart.

So- is it likely? No. I think he will retire.

But-if he wants to try, more power to him.

(then again, I never thought he'd get career best scores at age 28)

Custom Title
    ^^Joubert's still doing it. Granted, he's a much better jumper than Jeremy ever was.

I don't think he's going to get a World medal, but if he wants to give it a shot, why not? No skin off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    Yasmin Siraj probably will continue. I'm from the Boston area, and I remember when she was younger 13/14, everyone would say she would make an Olympic team. Funny how things can change. But I feel that she is still at the age where she potentially COULD turn things around. She's 17 now. Her posture/spins are incredible, I just wish she could fix those little jumps. A funny thing about Boston though, is that very rarely will skaters switch to another coach when they are taking from Mark and Peter. In this case, I think a coach change might help.
    Just did a quick Google search on Yasmin and it looks like she'll be attending Harvard in the fall.

A bit off topic but what would you guys do? Would you go for the "traditional" but assured route that is Harvard? Or would you run the risk of trying to compete at the senior level, knowing that it might not pay off for another couple of years or ever?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    Just did a quick Google search on Yasmin and it looks like she'll be attending Harvard in the fall.

A bit off topic but what would you guys do? Would you go for the "traditional" but assured route that is Harvard? Or would you run the risk of trying to compete at the senior level, knowing that it might not pay off for another couple of years or ever?
    Harvard, but I'm risk-adverse like that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    Depends on how much I love skating (and how little I love Harvard ) If I really love skating, and my finances/health are okay, I'll keep going. I wouldn't want to have any regrets.

(That being said, people like Jeremy need to have realistic expectations. He can't go into this thinking he's a lock for a World medal. I can't imagine he'd be that stupid though.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Depends on how much I love skating (and how little I love Harvard ) If I really love skating, and my finances/health are okay, I'll keep going. I wouldn't want to have any regrets.

(That being said, people like Jeremy need to have realistic expectations. He can't go into this thinking he's a lock for a World medal. I can't imagine he'd be that stupid though.)
    Obviously Jeremy can do whatever he want, but I think a lot of fans are bored by his skating and the rollercoaster that comes with watching him. There's a bunch of exciting American men (Josh, Jason, Max...) and I'm more interested in watching them than Jeremy.

If Jeremy does continue, I hope domestic judges don't give him reputation points and score him fairly.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast