Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

lutzlover

On the Ice
After Junior Worlds and Worlds, a lot of focus has been put on the young Russian girls/teenagers that all placed at the top of the podium (excluding Pogo but she had an exceptional skate) yet many have been dubious about placing their expectations on them saying, "wait until after puberty and let's see how their jumps go". A solid jumping Technique is essential to excelling after puberty but also in competitions, practices, etc. What skaters do you feel demonstrate "correct" technique? I feel that skaters/coaches have their own way of doing/teaching jumps, so all techniques are slightly different.

Good or bad technique?
Mao's axel technique- how she kind of waits on the takeoff to hit the edge, it's like she's leaning back; is this correct technique because she can land the jump? Or would it be considered untraditional as opposed to the step w/ immediate takeoff technique?

Julia's technique- her jumps are considered "small" but she lands them almost 100% of the time with excellent flow and extension

Gracie- on the other hand, her jumps are super high but seem to get smaller and smaller each competition and the flow out of them is minimal.

Ashley Wagner/Nathan Chen- they telegraph their axels, but can pull them off. Bad technique, even though they can land them?

Kanako murakami- the telegraphing, downgrades, overall her technique looks odd (the same way caroline zhang' technique looked and was wrong)

Do the skaters above have good or bad technique? What skaters do you think have a solid jumping technique that will get them through/have gotten them through puberty successfully?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If you ask the Tech panel from the Ladies FS,
Almost no one has faultless jumping technique ;)

Ashley Wagner/Nathan Chen- they telegraph their axels, but can pull them off. Bad technique, even though they can land them?

For Ashley Wagner, How is hopping into a perfectly good 2Axle right out of a triple telegraphing ?

Alba

Record Breaker
If you ask the Tech panel from the Ladies FS,
Almost no one has faultless jumping technique ;)

For Ashley Wagner, How is hopping into a perfectly good 2Axle right out of a triple telegraphing ?

I think Park has a good tech.?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna had the best jump technique. Not because of height but because of her landings and flow out. I still think height is about the least important 'bullet'to satisfy. If you can't flow right back into the music and weave your jumps into your artistry than I loose interest very quickly and to be frank don't see the point. I mean the jumps have to be performed well but I don't lik it when they disrupt the program via stalking or worse landing at a near crawl. Other than Mao's 3a I wouldn't try to jump like her. I don't even think I'd want to jump like Yulia. She spins so hard it seems quite painful but then again I'd rather eat scissors than attempt any of her spins.. I like Tuks jumps but I think she is a prime example of a jumper overly focused on height and maybe jumps too high for her frame and now just falls a lot. Jumping smaller and more controlled sometimes is smarter. Yulia steals +2's sometimes for her jumps based on multiple other bullets used to award GOE. It's like performing a level 3 StSeq for higher GOE than failing to deliver a level 4.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Julia has horrible technique on all her jumps. Unstable edges but she lands them because she is small. Her lutz, flip, and axel are all really bad

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think small is isn't bad if its rotated. If its small and low with mulekick and leg wrap and underrotated that's bad and it has been seen!!!! Leg wrap isn't a part of any young russian skater. Mule kick isn't. Sometimes underrotated is. Flutzing is most common.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Anna does both lutz and flip without edge cals. Her jumps are big with good flow on the landing. I would give her the nice jumps award for this Worlds, with honorable mention to Mao's triple axel, which Anna does not have.

Julia was called for flutzing again at Worlds btw.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think small is isn't bad if its rotated. If its small and low with mulekick and leg wrap and underrotated that's bad and it has been seen!!!! Leg wrap isn't a part of any young russian skater. Mule kick isn't. Sometimes underrotated is. Flutzing is most common.

Small IS bad when a skater's body hasn't developed yet.

The young skater with the best jumps in the ladies IMO is actually Polina Edmunds. She gets magnificent height, and lands steadily. Yulia's jumps are definitely nothing to write home about. She relies on her tiny body to rotate fast, rather than actually focusing on getting height and distance. Her flutz is awful and her double Axel is terrible.

I also thought her landing positions gave the illusion of a secure landing, but IMO they weren't all that secure.

For the men you only have to look at Maxim Kovtun for an example of terrible jump technique.

hurrah

Medalist
In terms of edge jumps, Caro and Mao's loop and salchow were the best at Worlds.

Now that Mao's regained a fairly stable sal, she almost over-rotates it, like her body's itching to do a quad sal.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Julia was not called for Flutz in sp. ice is slippery not only in falls but effects the edges if you are like Julia and wobble and while she can do clean lutz it's unstable so she was called Flutz only in lp and not sp because she was more stable in sp.

Small is only really bad if it makes for constant and damaging urs. Julia is small and may have small jumps but she does not ur so her jumps aren't so small that they aren't rotated in the air! A lot of small girls jump small and don't rotate in the air. I beleieve Julia will grow and still know how to get lift to rotate in the air. If she didn't really know how to jump she would be underrotating her small jumps now. But her toe loop jump is a big jump. It's her biggest! All other jumps are smaller than her toe loop but totally rotated in the air. Her double axel needs work and that's obvious because it could start failing bad.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuna is known to have strong jump technique with only occasional edge call on her flip (thanks to Mr. Amano). Her Lutz is text book-correct edge, unlike many other female skaters.

Interestingly, British Eurosport commentators praised Park So Youn's jumps in that "Tech panel don't have to review any of her jumps." "Nothing's wrong with her flip," and Lutz is also strong, according to them. I guess Korean coaches must be doing something right to instill strong jumping techniques to their students. :bow:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like Caro's jumps the best, particularly early in her programs when she isn't tired. She does a true lutz, a good flip, a great loop, and her salchow and toe loops are also good. To me she looks like she gets as much flow out as Yuna but I prefer Caro's landing position better with the free leg raised higher.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Caro's jumps the best, particularly early in her programs when she isn't tired. She does a true lutz, a good flip, a great loop, and her salchow and toe loops are also good. To me she looks like she gets as much flow out as Yuna but I prefer Caro's landing position better with the free leg raised higher.

Caro always had a great jump technique!!

Alba

Record Breaker

True. The only thing I don't like about her jumps is the long preparation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And the fact that she falls more often than I would like.

But yes. When she lands them, Caro' s jumps are lovely.

moviechick

On the Ice
The men mostly have good technique. You may get a few guys with a wonky jump (usually 3A).

On the girl's side, not so much. Yuna is pretty much the standard for proper jumps I think.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuna is known to have strong jump technique with only occasional edge call on her flip (thanks to Mr. Amano). Her Lutz is text book-correct edge, unlike many other female skaters.

Interestingly, British Eurosport commentators praised Park So Youn's jumps in that "Tech panel don't have to review any of her jumps." "Nothing's wrong with her flip," and Lutz is also strong, according to them. I guess Korean coaches must be doing something right to instill strong jumping techniques to their students. :bow:

I just watched So Youn's program and I must say I was impressed with her jumps. That lutz could not be more outside edge. And she definitely rotates in the air, so that's a huge plus.

Her struggle is consistency....at the beginning of the season she fared so poorly she didn't even get any JGP spots.

I'm hoping her performance here was an indicator of an upward trajectory...

cooper

Medalist
I just watched So Youn's program and I must say I was impressed with her jumps. That lutz could not be more outside edge. And she definitely rotates in the air, so that's a huge plus.

Her struggle is consistency....at the beginning of the season she fared so poorly she didn't even get any JGP spots.

I'm hoping her performance here was an indicator of an upward trajectory...

you're right.. one of the commentators from the british eurosport mentioned that she must be nurtured carefully.. i hope the KSU will get their act together...

consistency is very critical if she wants to built a reputation...