Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I always loved Takahashi's axel. So often the landings are like butter with that great extended free leg.

usethis2

Medalist
Like I said, this thread is about technique, not consistency.

Ito, for example, has poor technique with her leg wrap, but good consistency. Lipnitskaia gets minimal height, but has solid consistency.

i.e. just because a skater is consistently landing their jumps doesn't mean they have ideal technique. Just like somebody with excellent technique doesn't necessarily always land their jumps.

Techniques obviously have a correlation with consistency. Why bother learning the correct techniques if that is not the case? Why worry about an incorrect technique if it will keep you maintain jumps throughout your career? Have we not seen skaters losing consistency over time due to incorrect techniques?

There are a few exceptions like Midori but those are, well, exceptions. As far as I am concerned there is a direct correlation with techniques and consistency, and that's what coaching and practices are for. Only thing that can get in the way is perhaps what we call "nerve," but even that can be conquered with correct techniques because correct techniques -> higher consistency -> more confidence.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
My point is Carolina must have good technique in her but has not mastered it. If anyone has masted poor technique, she/he will consistently jump in poor quality. That's why I cannot see Carolina being an exemplary skater with correct technique b/c it is still half-filled potential.

I see your point. I'm looking at "who has correct technique" as if we forgot stripped away the programs/footwork/transitions/spins, and actually looked at how the skaters do their jumps. A creative exit or preceding steps doesn't factor into my assessment (although obviously with good technique a skater will be more capable of executing leading steps or a creative exit without compromising the jump).

I guess you could look at it like a pairs twist. Almost every team gets the job done and is consistent in executing the twist, but not everyone does it properly. There's a difference in executing something consistently and executing something correctly.

jkun

Final Flight
In the case of Ito... I think she never had the best leg wrap because she certainly did not need it to compete. Imagine Mao's air position with Ito's jumping ability.... Could probably easily do quads O_O

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Should Hanyu's 4S take him out of the convo since his 4S is unreliable? And with his lip, does that take him out of it as well?

I think your lip takes you out of this convo, tbh.

Ahahaha. Just kidding. ;)

Yagudin probably had the best jump technique overall. All of his jumps were big/huge, fully rotated in the air, on correct edges, not tilted, and flowed out on the landing.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Yuna Kim has perfect technique on her Lutz, Flip, Toeloop, and Axel. They are all the best in the world. Her salchow is actually pretty consistent too but not amazing.

She does those amazing crossovers and that lovely long glide to her +3 3Lz-3T. Amazing I think someone like Pogorilaya could learn from Kim and not do those extraneous steps before her 3Lz-3T.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yagudin probably had the best jump technique overall. All of his jumps were big/huge, fully rotated in the air, on correct edges, not tilted, and flowed out on the landing.
I remember feeling much power from him whenever he landed a jump. A true king.:love:

Big Deal

Final Flight
Yu-Na Kim, Carolina Kostner,Park So Youn and Polina Edmunds hands down.
They have the purest technique, and the most athletic, attractive, high, long, edge-wise correct jumps with a great flow and speed coming out also on correct edges.

Actually Polina Edmunds is a real reminescence to Kostner, unless she was not that good in that young age. Where she was hidden until this time?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva with perfect jumping technique in all 6 types of jumps. :love:

alebi

Medalist
I think Carolina has the best technique in each one of the triple jump (speed, height, flow and no edge calls) but she's not helped by her body type since she needs to put so much effort in every jump if she wants to land it till the end (she's not the kind of skater who rotates fast thanks to tiny body). I can agree with Yuna's toeloop especially in combo, it comes so naturally and is soooo big but Yuna has some edge calls on flip and no loop so we can't say she's an example of good complete technique on triple jumps.
For what concerns axel, it's obviously Mao's. Not considering her superiority with triple axel, her double axel is absolutely the best.

All the other top skaters have problems on edge (not Tuktamisheva but what happened to her?)

Meoima

Match Penalty
All the other top skaters have problems on edge (not Tuktamisheva but what happened to her?)
She was injured and had to sit out of Sochi. She is healed, or so I've heard and will soon back to practice under Mishin's wing.

Big Deal

Final Flight
It is too bad that Tuktamiseva was totally out of form in the couple of last time I've seen her.
Her body has been changed ála Gedevanishvili with the same (sad) consequences....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the jump technique Mishin teaches is very very good. Look at the proof: Yagudin, Plushenko, Tuktamysheva...even when Gachinski was at his worst he was still rotating things, and his 3A never lost its height and distance.

The fact that said technique enabled Plushenko to land quad-triples at the age of 31 and with serious hardware in his back says it all, really.

alebi

Medalist
I agree with Mishin's good school... So I wonder why all the other russian coaches are so poor in teaching technique :think:

Meoima

Match Penalty
It is too bad that Tuktamiseva was totally out of form in the couple of last time I've seen her.
Her body has been changed ála Gedevanishvili with the same (sad) consequences....
Puberty surely went hard on her. I hope she regain her jumps. She is so talented.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She's been getting a bunch of << and < calls as of late. I'm aware that she can skate without < calls, but she's not devoid of them. A skater like Kim, however, usually rotates her jumps fully. The probably with Julia is she doesn't vault herself in her jumps... she relies on rotation, and that's poor technique, even if the jump is fully rotated. It's like saying Miyahara has good technique so her minimal height on her jumps is okay.

This only happens when Julia falls or has a big error as well. I would never ever say miyahara has good technique because she just lands short all the time with no real visible flaws. She has awful techniques and Julia rotates in air and miyahara rotates only partially in the air. All Julia's rotations are in air when they are visible mistake free.