Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I like Caro's jumps the best, particularly early in her programs when she isn't tired. She does a true lutz, a good flip, a great loop, and her salchow and toe loops are also good. To me she looks like she gets as much flow out as Yuna but I prefer Caro's landing position better with the free leg raised higher.
    True. The only thing I don't like about her jumps is the long preparation.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And the fact that she falls more often than I would like.

But yes. When she lands them, Caro' s jumps are lovely.

Custom Title
    The men mostly have good technique. You may get a few guys with a wonky jump (usually 3A).

On the girl's side, not so much. Yuna is pretty much the standard for proper jumps I think.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    Yuna is known to have strong jump technique with only occasional edge call on her flip (thanks to Mr. Amano). Her Lutz is text book-correct edge, unlike many other female skaters.

Interestingly, British Eurosport commentators praised Park So Youn's jumps in that "Tech panel don't have to review any of her jumps." "Nothing's wrong with her flip," and Lutz is also strong, according to them. I guess Korean coaches must be doing something right to instill strong jumping techniques to their students.
    I just watched So Youn's program and I must say I was impressed with her jumps. That lutz could not be more outside edge. And she definitely rotates in the air, so that's a huge plus.

Her struggle is consistency....at the beginning of the season she fared so poorly she didn't even get any JGP spots.

I'm hoping her performance here was an indicator of an upward trajectory...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I just watched So Youn's program and I must say I was impressed with her jumps. That lutz could not be more outside edge. And she definitely rotates in the air, so that's a huge plus.

Her struggle is consistency....at the beginning of the season she fared so poorly she didn't even get any JGP spots.

I'm hoping her performance here was an indicator of an upward trajectory...
    you're right.. one of the commentators from the british eurosport mentioned that she must be nurtured carefully.. i hope the KSU will get their act together...

consistency is very critical if she wants to built a reputation...

Don't know anything about technique. But British Commentators said Gracie had the best 3lutz-3t of the competition

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    If you ask the Tech panel from the Ladies FS,
    Almost no one has faultless jumping technique

For Ashley Wagner, How is hopping into a perfectly good 2Axle right out of a triple telegraphing ?
    Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of that axel. I was just looking at her 2A+3T in her Worlds LP and on the set up, she kind of just...waited? A split second too long to be natural. I remember seeing a warm-up (for her SP? I think) and she was doing a 2A and waited even longer (and not bc there were skaters in her way). Nathan does the same on his 3A, except he waits even longer. Seeing as they're both coached by Raphael, I guess that's the technique he teaches.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    For the men you only have to look at Maxim Kovtun for an example of terrible jump technique.
    How does he even land on his feet? His whole upper body is pointed towards the ice...I guess his body has adapted to jumping that way and can pull it off.

Custom Title
    Why do women have a harder time with Lutz? Sorry if this is a not-PC question or if it leads to not-PC answers. It's been bugging me some time. When I look at the protocols of any international event almost always I see majority of top 10 finishers were unable to execute correct Lutz.

Its the only jump where I see a stark difference between men and women, technique-wise.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    Why do women have a harder time with Lutz? Sorry if this is a not-PC question or if it leads to not-PC answers. It's been bugging me some time. When I look at the protocols of any international event almost always I see majority of top 10 finishers were unable to execute correct Lutz.

Its the only jump where I see a stark difference between men and women, technique-wise.
    Just a guess but maybe because it's one of the last triples (I think) a junior/senior lady learns so it still needs improvement/refinement compared to the other "easier" triples, even when the lutz is in the program. Also, flutzes are a common habit among lower level skaters, and it's common for coaches to never attempt to fix it. Especially when one has done flutzes for years, it's very hard to break the habit, and changing the jump could possibly result in the skater losing the jump altogether. Maybe coaches figure why not land a triple flutz combo than fall on a triple lutz...?

Custom Title
    Caro an Tukta are the best jumpers!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Anna does both lutz and flip without edge cals. Her jumps are big with good flow on the landing. I would give her the nice jumps award for this Worlds, with honorable mention to Mao's triple axel, which Anna does not have.

Julia was called for flutzing again at Worlds btw.
    I love Anna, but she has gotten consistently called for the wrong edge on the triple flip. There's a reason she does the 3Lo in her SP. Otherwise, I agree that her jumps are very strong. I love her huge 3Lz.

My vote also goes to Carolina. Her jumps are gorgeous when she's on; she does all 5 non axel triples with good edges. She's been telegraphing them less lately, too. Except for the 2A, it's not as great s her other jumps. Yu-Na is also very good, but the questionable edge on her flip and lack of 3Lo put Carolina ahead, IMO.

Custom Title
    @lutzlover: that makes sense but still does not address the discrepancy between men and women..

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith72 View Post
    Julia has horrible technique on all her jumps. Unstable edges but she lands them because she is small. Her lutz, flip, and axel are all really bad
    not only bad jumping techniques but also she has tinyyyyyy jump

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by lutzlover View Post
    Just a guess but maybe because it's one of the last triples (I think) a junior/senior lady learns so it still needs improvement/refinement compared to the other "easier" triples, even when the lutz is in the program. Also, flutzes are a common habit among lower level skaters, and it's common for coaches to never attempt to fix it. Especially when one has done flutzes for years, it's very hard to break the habit, and changing the jump could possibly result in the skater losing the jump altogether. Maybe coaches figure why not land a triple flutz combo than fall on a triple lutz...?
    I disagree with the theory of order learned. I think issue has more to do with the female bone structure and how weight is balanced over the boot/blade, than the actual difficulty of the jump. For natural "jumpers," it seems the lutz comes relatively easy, it is the salchow that is tricky. I have seen it this issue with "jumpers" that are working both their double and triples.

But I do agree that if a flutz is not corrected early, it will be almost impossible to fix years later.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast