Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

minze

Medalist
Don't know anything about technique. But British Commentators said Gracie had the best 3lutz-3t of the competition

lutzlover

On the Ice
If you ask the Tech panel from the Ladies FS,
Almost no one has faultless jumping technique ;)

For Ashley Wagner, How is hopping into a perfectly good 2Axle right out of a triple telegraphing ?

Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of that axel. I was just looking at her 2A+3T in her Worlds LP and on the set up, she kind of just...waited? A split second too long to be natural. I remember seeing a warm-up (for her SP? I think) and she was doing a 2A and waited even longer (and not bc there were skaters in her way). Nathan does the same on his 3A, except he waits even longer. Seeing as they're both coached by Raphael, I guess that's the technique he teaches.

lutzlover

On the Ice
For the men you only have to look at Maxim Kovtun for an example of terrible jump technique.

How does he even land on his feet? His whole upper body is pointed towards the ice...I guess his body has adapted to jumping that way and can pull it off.

usethis2

Medalist
Why do women have a harder time with Lutz? Sorry if this is a not-PC question or if it leads to not-PC answers. It's been bugging me some time. When I look at the protocols of any international event almost always I see majority of top 10 finishers were unable to execute correct Lutz.

Its the only jump where I see a stark difference between men and women, technique-wise.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Why do women have a harder time with Lutz? Sorry if this is a not-PC question or if it leads to not-PC answers. It's been bugging me some time. When I look at the protocols of any international event almost always I see majority of top 10 finishers were unable to execute correct Lutz.

Its the only jump where I see a stark difference between men and women, technique-wise.

Just a guess but maybe because it's one of the last triples (I think) a junior/senior lady learns so it still needs improvement/refinement compared to the other "easier" triples, even when the lutz is in the program. Also, flutzes are a common habit among lower level skaters, and it's common for coaches to never attempt to fix it. Especially when one has done flutzes for years, it's very hard to break the habit, and changing the jump could possibly result in the skater losing the jump altogether. Maybe coaches figure why not land a triple flutz combo than fall on a triple lutz...?

oleada

Record Breaker
Anna does both lutz and flip without edge cals. Her jumps are big with good flow on the landing. I would give her the nice jumps award for this Worlds, with honorable mention to Mao's triple axel, which Anna does not have.

Julia was called for flutzing again at Worlds btw.

I love Anna, but she has gotten consistently called for the wrong edge on the triple flip. There's a reason she does the 3Lo in her SP. Otherwise, I agree that her jumps are very strong. I love her huge 3Lz.

My vote also goes to Carolina. Her jumps are gorgeous when she's on; she does all 5 non axel triples with good edges. She's been telegraphing them less lately, too. Except for the 2A, it's not as great s her other jumps. Yu-Na is also very good, but the questionable edge on her flip and lack of 3Lo put Carolina ahead, IMO.

usethis2

Medalist
@lutzlover: that makes sense but still does not address the discrepancy between men and women..

concorde

Medalist
Just a guess but maybe because it's one of the last triples (I think) a junior/senior lady learns so it still needs improvement/refinement compared to the other "easier" triples, even when the lutz is in the program. Also, flutzes are a common habit among lower level skaters, and it's common for coaches to never attempt to fix it. Especially when one has done flutzes for years, it's very hard to break the habit, and changing the jump could possibly result in the skater losing the jump altogether. Maybe coaches figure why not land a triple flutz combo than fall on a triple lutz...?

I disagree with the theory of order learned. I think issue has more to do with the female bone structure and how weight is balanced over the boot/blade, than the actual difficulty of the jump. For natural "jumpers," it seems the lutz comes relatively easy, it is the salchow that is tricky. I have seen it this issue with "jumpers" that are working both their double and triples.

But I do agree that if a flutz is not corrected early, it will be almost impossible to fix years later.

hurrah

Medalist
This issue has been discussed previously, and it has been noted that women tend to flutz, and men tend to lip alot in competition. The reason, as I recall, is that men are naturally stronger than women, so they have th muscular strength to stay on the outer edge, and as long as you have the ability to stay on an outer edge, then it is actually a more secure edge to take off from than the inner edge, so men will lip their flip. Women, on the other hand, tend not to have the muscular capacity to easily stay on the outer edge, or at least they don't have the muscular strength to stay on the outer edge all the way through to the moment of take off, so they tend to flutz.

It can sometimes be that a woman will lip/lutz due to the shape of her legs. In other words, if a woman is very bow-legged, then she can lutz without even having the muscular strength per se but because nowadays, under CoP, you can do a lutz with a very short preparation, which, in fact, is not a 'true' lutz. Carolina does a true lutz in that she has a long prep. I sometimes wonder if she maintains the outer edge the whole way through, though.

jaylee

Medalist
It can sometimes be that a woman will lip/lutz due to the shape of her legs. In other words, if a woman is very bow-legged, then she can lutz without even having the muscular strength per se but because nowadays, under CoP, you can do a lutz with a very short preparation, which, in fact, is not a 'true' lutz. Carolina does a true lutz in that she has a long prep. I sometimes wonder if she maintains the outer edge the whole way through, though.

What are you talking about? :confused: Doing a lutz with short preparation is not a "true lutz"? Doing a lutz with long prep is a true lutz? :eek:

Krislite

Medalist
What are you talking about? :confused: Doing a lutz with short preparation is not a "true lutz"? Doing a lutz with long prep is a true lutz? :eek:

Where's that jump dictionary that says a Lutz requires a long, telegraphed set up? :laugh:

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Yuna Kim has perfect technique on her Lutz, Flip, Toeloop, and Axel. They are all the best in the world. Her salchow is actually pretty consistent too but not amazing.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Yuna had the best jump technique. Not because of height but because of her landings and flow out. I still think height is about the least important 'bullet'to satisfy. If you can't flow right back into the music and weave your jumps into your artistry than I loose interest very quickly and to be frank don't see the point. I mean the jumps have to be performed well but I don't lik it when they disrupt the program via stalking or worse landing at a near crawl. Other than Mao's 3a I wouldn't try to jump like her. I don't even think I'd want to jump like Yulia. She spins so hard it seems quite painful but then again I'd rather eat scissors than attempt any of her spins.. I like Tuks jumps but I think she is a prime example of a jumper overly focused on height and maybe jumps too high for her frame and now just falls a lot. Jumping smaller and more controlled sometimes is smarter. Yulia steals +2's sometimes for her jumps based on multiple other bullets used to award GOE. It's like performing a level 3 StSeq for higher GOE than failing to deliver a level 4.
If Carolina was capable of doing Julia-style transitions into all her triples she would have the best technique IMO. Since she isn't, I agree Yuna in general. I'd agree with you on Mao's toe jumps (not only the flutz, but her flip entry is rather unorthodox and her 3T combinations were never the best) but her loop combinations are among the best. Adelina's 3-3Loop may be more rotated on a good day but Mao's 3-3Lo combinations have smoother landings with slightly better flow out.

Where's that jump dictionary that says a Lutz requires a long, telegraphed set up? :laugh:
I guess Carolina Kostner has the truest Lutz in the world! :laugh:

hurrah

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWmm4AKmgc

Also, see: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_j_lutz.htm

The Lutz is a counter rotated jump. It takes off from a LBO edge (with toe pick assist), turns, then lands on the RBO edge. It is one of the most recognizable of jumps, because it is usually entered from a very long straight backwards glide across the full diagonal of the arena. After the long glide on the left foot, the skater usually leans a little bit to the left (proving to the judges that she is on an outside edge), picks with the right foot and jumps.

Or so it used to be pre-CoP. It had to be a long glide to make sure that the counter-rotational pull to start up the rotation was totally generated by the outer edge of the non-pick feet (which is what makes a lutz a lutz). After-CoP, the very long backward glide no longer became mandatory and could be cut shorter by putting in 'transitions' which means that the pull to start up the rotation is not totally generated by the outer edge of the non-pick feet. Hence, you have the 'true lutz' and the 'lutz' as per recognized under CoP.

usethis2

Medalist
This issue has been discussed previously, and it has been noted that women tend to flutz, and men tend to lip alot in competition. The reason, as I recall, is that men are naturally stronger than women, so they have th muscular strength to stay on the outer edge, and as long as you have the ability to stay on an outer edge, then it is actually a more secure edge to take off from than the inner edge, so men will lip their flip. Women, on the other hand, tend not to have the muscular capacity to easily stay on the outer edge, or at least they don't have the muscular strength to stay on the outer edge all the way through to the moment of take off, so they tend to flutz.

Not because I do not trust your words or anything but that explanation is a little dissatisfying. So the answer simply comes down to leg strength? Men = Stronger legs = Lutz capable? (w/ tendency to Lip)

Can those who skate/skated actually attest to this? Does it require more leg strength to do lutz, and furthermore that is the reason why women are more prone to flutz?

CarneAsada

Medalist
It only says "usually" entered, though. In the early days of the short program, the ISU required a double Lutz out of steps every few years, and no one ever thought that disqualified the jump from being a double Lutz. Here's Midori's.

hurrah

Medalist
Actually, differentiating flip and lutz is a big problem in CoP, I think. Differentiating between the two seems to be reduced down to just looking at the final moments of the take off and seeing if it's on the inside or outside edge, and it seems like if it's on the outside edge at the moment of take off, it's deemed a lutz, and if it's on the inside edge at the moment of take off, it's deemed a flip. But it really shouldn't be like that. But since transitions before jumps are encouraged in CoP, it's literally impossible to differentiate between flip and lutz that takes into account the true nature of these jumps.

usethis2

Medalist
That I agree to a degree. But I don't think it is a big problem and judges/tech should be able to tell them apart. Plus skaters submit their routines ahead so that should help.

The difference is distinct in that flip is a technique that converts speed into height, and lutz is about spring-like counter force, so they have multiple tools to tell lutz and flip apart plus the take-off edge.