Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plushenko has, of course..if it was not perfect technique,he wouldn't be able to re-learn the jumps so soon after the injuries.

His quad and axel have perfect technique, and his loop as well. His flip tends to lip, and his lutz he almost has his blade flat on the ice instead of vaulting off the toe, which perhaps made him prone to occasional errors.

Beautiful air position too, with great height, effortless throughout....and often with some very difficult entrances. If Kulik was competing today, he'd deservedly clean up on jump GOEs.

I remember watching a competition a long time ago when Kulik was competing, and Brian Boitano was gushing about how Kulik "jumps like a god."

Definitely, Kulik is one of the best ever in terms of purity of technique. Moreover, he has retained his technique well into his pro career.

How do we think Kurt Browning rates on this scale? And Boitano?

Components

Match Penalty
His quad and axel have perfect technique, and his loop as well. His flip tends to lip, and his lutz he almost has his blade flat on the ice instead of vaulting off the toe, which perhaps made him prone to occasional errors.

Already discussed the Blade issue that a lot of skaters display going into some of their jumps.

Lutz was always one of Plushenkos more inconsistent jumps so I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Components

Match Penalty
Definitely, Kulik is one of the best ever in terms of purity of technique. Moreover, he has retained his technique well into his pro career.

How do we think Kurt Browning rates on this scale? And Boitano?

Certainly comes to mind.

Not sure about Browning as I hardly ever watch any of his programs. Now that you mentioned him, though...

Globetrotter

Medalist
I like Caro's jumps the best, particularly early in her programs when she isn't tired. She does a true lutz, a good flip, a great loop, and her salchow and toe loops are also good. To me she looks like she gets as much flow out as Yuna but I prefer Caro's landing position better with the free leg raised higher.

Agree. In terms of basic skills, Caro is textbook. She may not have Yuna's height on jumps but I has better flow out of jumps. The long preparation is true but she approaches her jumps at full speed. Only issue is she gets so nervous and stiff in her LP she goes all wonky. When she is on, then wow. And I like it that she actually has a full set of triples and has no edge calls and not a chronic under rotator.

Cecily

Spectator
Gotta love Browning! I could watch that video all day, and what's even better is that he is still doing that Singing in the Rain routine some twenty years later in his mid-forties, complete with triples.

disco_dannio

Rinkside
In terms of overall top-to-bottom jumping excellence, I'm not sure anybody beats Joannie Rochette. All triples (excluding axel) with textbook technique, great height and air position, good landing position and tremendous flow in and out. No 'muscling' or forcing them. Equally good technique and results with both toe and edge jumps.

In terms of triple combinations, she was capable of landing (although not all were achieved successfully in competition) toe-toe, toe-half-loop-salchow, flip-toe, lutz-toe, flip-salchow. For those who want to understand the difference in quality of jumps, it might be useful to compare Joannie's 3loop to (eg) Lipitniskaya's. Watch for the height (watch how her shoulders pull her up, not just spin across the ice), completion of rotation, flow and running edge on landing, etc.

Anyhoo, she had all 5 triples, no edge or rotation issues on any of them. Worth a think.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In terms of overall top-to-bottom jumping excellence, I'm not sure anybody beats Joannie Rochette. All triples (excluding axel) with textbook technique, great height and air position, good landing position and tremendous flow in and out. No 'muscling' or forcing them. Equally good technique and results with both toe and edge jumps.
Anyhoo, she had all 5 triples, no edge or rotation issues on any of them. Worth a think.

Solo jump
Lutz
Caro = Yuna > Joannie
Flip
Caro > Yuna = Joannie
Loop
Caro > Joannie > Yuna
Sal
Caro > Yuna > Joannie
Toe (with combo)
Yuna > Caro > Joannie
2A
Caro > Yuna > Joannie

Joannie is good across the board, but she doesn't have the speed nor the flow of Caro or Yuna. She's more +2, where the other girls are +3.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Solo jump
Lutz
Caro = Yuna > Joannie
Flip
Caro > Yuna = Joannie
Loop
Caro > Joannie > Yuna
Sal
Caro > Yuna > Joannie
Toe (with combo)
Yuna > Caro > Joannie
2A
Caro > Yuna > Joannie

Joannie is good across the board, but she doesn't have the speed nor the flow of Caro or Yuna. She's more +2, where the other girls are +3.
Lutz: Yuna > Caro > Joannie (Yuna telegraphs hers less than Caro)
Flip: Caro >= Yuna >= Joannie (they're all good, not easy to rank)
Loop: Caro >> Joannie > Yuna (no arguments)
Sal: Joannie > Caro > Yuna (Joannie can do 1/2Loop-3Sal combinations, so I put her ahead)
Toe: no changes, Yuna is obviously superior to either
2A: Yuna > Joannie > Caro (how on earth did you put Caro first? Yuna practically invented the strategy of milking the 2A. She can do 2A out of so many different entries. She made the 2A-3T combination relevant. Caro's 2A isn't even in the same league)

If it's a 3 woman comparison, then 3 wins for Yuna, 2 wins for Caro, 1 win for Joannie.

Naya

On the Ice
Despite of her recent difficulties, I think Tuktamysheva has great jumping technique, with very good height and posture in the air.

anyanka

Record Breaker
About Midori. There is this question that I couldn't find the answer: how could she jump that high? :bow:

It was a gift, she truly was one in a million.
Sometimes I just look at skaters and think "how does she / he / they DO that??" and there's just no answer.
Which is why we should really cherish our faves, and appreciate even those skaters we're not big fans of, for the elements they do well.