Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
About Midori. There is this question that I couldn't find the answer: how could she jump that high? :bow:

Two word: speed & attack. Midori goes into her jumps faster than most other skaters. And she attacks her jumps, and is determined to land them.

Her timing is also perfect, and she's actually a strong woman instead of a slim petite skater (which always surprised me how Asada managed to execute the 3A).

Ito seemed resolute that her gender didn't matter. If the men could do triple axels, that meant executing triple axels were able to be executed, so she didn't even care that she was a woman - she just went for it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Two word: speed & attack. Midori goes into her jumps faster than most other skaters. And she attacks her jumps, and is determined to land them.

Her timing is also perfect, and she's actually a strong woman instead of a slim petite skater (which always surprised me how Asada managed to execute the 3A).

Ito seemed resolute that her gender didn't matter. If the men could do triple axels, that meant executing triple axels were able to be executed, so she didn't even care that she was a woman - she just went for it.
Still, not many men can jump that high you know. Maybe it was a rare gift. If she had better basic skills, she could have beaten lots of men those day. :eek:

jkun

Final Flight
Still, not many men can jump that high you know. Maybe it was a rare gift. If she had better basic skills, she could have beaten lots of men those day. :eek:

If she had a better leg wrap, no doubt she could jump better than any man..

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm new here, and the furthest thing from a technical expert, so I dunno if I should chime in, but I have a few observations re: Yagudin's technique.

It's true Yagudin's jumps are huge, and impressive in the air (heck, one of the commentators back in the day thought he was gonna do quad axel!). But his landings always looked heavy and laboured to me. I was surprised he could even tack triple-toe at the end of his axels. I suspect, for all the height of his jumps, he didn't rotate very quickly in the air.

By no means was he deficient, of course. His axels are godsends next to... some current skaters. But when he was competing against Plushenko and Goebel, who were spinning blurs in the air and landed like cats, his jumps seemed a bit forced.

Btw, speaking of Goebel, does anyone have an opinion on his technique? He was definitely the best jumper of his era, and his jumps looked really easy and perfect. However, he lost his jumps pretty quickly when injury settled in. That makes me suspect if his technique was quite as good as it looked...

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOgMe-MpII

I just saw Ito Midori's jumps and don't you guys think she had really really good jumps considering the time she skated? Especially her 3Axel seems much better than Mao Asada and other skaters. What do you guys think? She doesn't seem consistent, but has good technique and her jumping distance, speed and height is monstrous.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Midori Ito was the best jumper of all time among the ladies. She had the best 3T-3T of all time (and she was the first lady to do it), a great 2A-0.5Lo-3S combination years before Tara was doing it, the best 2Lo-3Lo, and 3F and 3Lz that match those of Kim and Kostner even 20 years later. Her 3A has never been equaled by any female, not by Harding, not by Asada, and certainly not anyone else. Her consistency was fine. She had the rotten luck of being bad at figures while skating just before their elimination, then the rotten luck of skating on the same ice as Laetitia Hubert who crashed into her at 1991 Worlds. Otherwise she'd have an OGM (1988) and three World titles (1989-1991).

mary01

Final Flight
Midori Ito was the best jumper of all time among the ladies. She had the best 3T-3T of all time (and she was the first lady to do it), a great 2A-0.5Lo-3S combination years before Tara was doing it, the best 2Lo-3Lo, and 3F and 3Lz that match those of Kim and Kostner even 20 years later. Her 3A has never been equaled by any female, not by Harding, not by Asada, and certainly not anyone else. Her consistency was fine. She had the rotten luck of being bad at figures while skating just before their elimination, then the rotten luck of skating on the same ice as Laetitia Hubert who crashed into her at 1991 Worlds. Otherwise she'd have an OGM (1988) and three World titles (1989-1991).

Not equelled in terms of hugeness yes, but in terms of aesthetics and elegance Mao's 3A surpassed Midori's 3A. I wouldn't necessary say one was better then the other, both are very impressive for different reasons, their 3A's had different qualities and charm, it all comes to each individual persons preference.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Midori's 3A is huge, but her landings often looked on the verge of turn-out because she could barely control all the power she had. It was incredible to watch though. Bigger than 90% of the guys out there! Not sure if she really had great technique (free leg looked a bit suspect), but her natural jumping ability was insane.

I love Mao's 3A too. Not as impressive to look at, but it's impressive that she can get it rotated (most times) without Midori's height. I think Mao will inspire other girls to try it. Midori was one-of-a-kind, unable-to-be-replicated. Mao proves that you don't have to jump like a man to make a 3A. ;)

urara

Rinkside
Not equelled in terms of hugeness yes, but in terms of aesthetics and elegance Mao's 3A surpassed Midori's 3A. I wouldn't necessary say one was better then the other, both are very impressive for different reasons, their 3A's had different qualities and charm, it all comes to each individual persons preference.

I remember Midori's interview talking about her and Mao's 3A. She said there are two ways to execute 3A; by having longer air-time or by rotating quickly.
According to her, Midori was the former type, and Mao is the latter. Their 3As are different, but it does not mean which is good and which is not good.
Midori said she respects Mao because the current judging system requires to do the difficult jump more matched to music. It is tougher.
Both ladies are great, in a nutshell:clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I remember Midori's interview talking about her and Mao's 3A. She said there are two ways to execute 3A; by having longer air-time or by rotating quickly.
According to her, Midori was the former type, and Mao is the latter. Their 3As are different, but it does not mean which is good and which is not good.
Midori said she respects Mao because the current judging system requires to do the difficult jump more matched to music. It is tougher.
Both ladies are great, in a nutshell:clap:

I agreed both are great, and Mao does do things like transition brackets leading into her 3A (or used to). Ito's however is more aesthetically pleased (leg wrap and all) because of how breathtaking it is. Mao's is impressive (and the rotation is prettier), but it's not exactly jaw-dropping like Midori's. I think both should be totally lauded though for continually doing them though (I mean for Ito to land a 3A that nice in a Pro competition at the age of 24 is incredible).

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Add Souyoun Park to the list. The British commentators were agog over her technique during Worlds 2014.

jkun

Final Flight
Add Souyoun Park to the list. The British commentators were agog over her technique during Worlds 2014.

From what I've seen from watching Korean Nats is that Korean coaches are very good at teaching basic jump technique. Basically none of the Korean ladies flutz or lip.

npavel

On the Ice
Agree. In terms of basic skills, Caro is textbook. She may not have Yuna's height on jumps but I has better flow out of jumps. The long preparation is true but she approaches her jumps at full speed. Only issue is she gets so nervous and stiff in her LP she goes all wonky. When she is on, then wow. And I like it that she actually has a full set of triples and has no edge calls and not a chronic under rotator.

If I had to choose only one competitor, I would choose Carolina. Live it is even more impressive. She can do all the jumps in combination and has done them in competition during her career. She has better technique after 2010 than before.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Who do you think has the best 4Salchow technique?

And is it ok, if the position before the jump is not λ as it is supposed to be? I mean some men before the jump look like as if they use free right leg as pushing too rather than using just the edge of take-off left leg. Is that even right?

By far Kevin Reynolds' 4S seems the closest to me, also Florent Amodio's