Brennan article on security lapse | Golden Skate

Brennan article on security lapse

Yazmeen

On the Ice
http://usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2004-04-01-brennan_x.htm

I do think she has a point. While it ended up causing no harm, it shouldn't be reduced to just a comical incident, either. What if he had done this to a less experienced skater like Miki Ando and she had subsequently bombed her program, causing her to completely drop from medal contention? What if he HAD been a wacko with a weapon? Not good at all. While I understand the outcome was fine, I don't like this being reduced to a joke, similar to how Nancy's attack and cries of "Why?" became comic fodder. All that does is cover up the real problem, a near total lack of security. :(

N

nthuz

Where does the responsibility for security lie? Is it the organizer in this case the ISU, or is it the venue, or both?

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I'm glad she wrote that article. By the time I heard about the incident, I knew that nothing had gone wrong so it seemed like somewhat of a comic interlude. In reality, though, it was a serious lapse. Thank goodness nothing it all turned out okay, but I hope event organizers make sure it doesn't happen again.

shdotz

On the Ice
Intruder on ice - Kwan

It never occurred to me that this intruder who came onto the ice just before Michelle's skate was there for possible physical harm; it did occur to me that he was there to upset Michelle's skate.

He failed. Kwan is strong, thank God. This incident reminded me of the time Kurt Browning stayed on the ice with the fans while Todd Eldredge waited and waited and waited; and, yes, I believe Kurt did that on purpose as well.

Call it intimidation.

2 seconds over? and then the intruder? Someone is afraid Michelle will beat Sasha Cohen. Someone is a bully who is saying I'm going to be sure she doesn't win. Shame on them.

Competitions have gone from bad to worse; what's next? Never mind, I don't want to know. Let's keep it clean and fair.

Someone had to see that intruder; if they didn't, then they need better security.

I'm just totally sick over this. sh

Hi Shdotz. :) I don't think this idiot did his trick deliberately to intimidate Michelle. I think he got paid by the web site that he had written on his chest to advertise their site. The same web site has done similar tricks in the past. He probably came out just before Michelle's skate because they thought that's when most people would be watching.

Mathman

SusanBeth

Final Flight
If I were an athlete, I would be extremely reluctant to compete in Germany. Not only was security lax, the guy was let off legally also. You know the crazies are going to be crawling out of the woodwork. Some people will do anything for a buck. It makes me wonder if that site actually paid the guy? Would that be illegal if it could be proven?

shdotz

On the Ice
Kwan's interrupted skate.

Mathman - you may be right in your analyses; I certainlly can see your point.

However, I do believe Kwan is being slighted and will continue to be until she leaves the competition scene.

We now know that there's two skaters much better than Sasha Cohen, not to slight Sasha - she certainly is a beautiful skater, but she always does the same things. I guess that's because people want to see those beautiful moves.

Skating is getting as ugly as football when it comes to getting rid of players - maybe it's always been that way and is now just becoming known.

Politics and idiocy. Still, I love to see a good skate, and I'll still watch as long as it doesn't good worse.

sh

John King

Final Flight
My 2 Euros worth.

The ISU should put it's foot down and say "We refuse to allow our skaters to compete in any venue that does not have adequate security".And they should lodge a complaint against the German authorities for not giving this idiot something more than a slap on the wrist!

shdotz

On the Ice
Politics and problems with Figure Skating

For some time now, I have noticed the "problems" with scoring competitions with Figure Skating. Deplorable. Political.

I've advocated the skaters to go on strike for a full year. That way, no one wins. Many lose money...and power...control.

I would hope that this will someday happen.

If I were a competitor, I would want sound judging, honest interpretations, and a well-guarded skating rink for the competitions.

Aside, people are people, and there's a bugger or two in every crowd. The only way to put them in their place is to go on strike or form a new skating union with former skater professionals doing the scoring - like Brian Boitano, Scott Hamilton, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Ilia Kulik, etc.

At least then the skaters would have a fair chance of performance and possible medal.

For those who disrupt, they are to be heavily fined and possibly jailed or get fined and complete 5 years of community service.

Maybe then they would not get involved.

sh

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I dont think a strike is a good idea, especially in a pre olympics year. It would jeapordize the futures of up-and-comers, and it would alienate fans. I agree that improvements need to be made in safety... but other countries dont have the same perspective on security measures as the US...

I'm kinda concerned about the next olympics in Tourin... Having been to Italy myself I was kinda shocked at the lack of infastructure and organization. Love the country, beautiful place, people etc. But everything is much more laid back there... trains dont run on time, security is non existant its just a difference in cultures I think.

shdotz

On the Ice
Skaters on Strike

Well, the Boston Tea Party worked and how long ago was that?

Skaters don't realize the clout they have. If they didn't skate, the other various officials wouldn't have jobs or status.

sh

SusanBeth

Final Flight
In order for a strike of eligible skaters to work, there would have to organization and trust between competitors. There can be no scabs. I just don't think rivals will trust each other that much.

John King

Final Flight
You're missing my point.

Why isn't the ISU yelling their head off,raising a stink,or whatever?THEY have the clout,THEY have the vested interest,THEY should have taken the initiative!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Why isn't the ISU yelling their head off,raising a stink,or whatever?

Since when has matters like- the best interest/safety of the athletes or the betterment of the sport of figure skating ranked first with the ISU powers-that-be?

Shdotz, what do you think about the World Skating Federation? This organization was formed by people who seem to think the way you do, especially about politics and judging. I am sure they would like nothing better than to convince current skaters to leave the ISU altogether.

I don't think I agree with you, though, about having former great skaters as the judges. IMO skating and judging involve quite different skills. I would rather see a professional (i.e., paid) judging corps, independent of the national federtions (that's where all the politics comes from), with their own training program and standards of competency.

Mathman :)