Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Skating's Popularity

#TeamAUS

Thoughts About Skating's Popularity

Is it me or do you think the popularity of skating after this season has gone up a small yet positive notch? Not astronomial like in the 90s but a little bit.
    I feel like this seasons events can be a great springboard into this quad cycle to really give the sport a respectable (not extravagant) popularity boost.

Banned
    it's the usual post olympics boom

it'll be gone by the time next season rolls around and with people like yuna retiring, interest will probably be lower

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    it's the usual post olympics boom

it'll be gone by the time next season rolls around and with people like yuna retiring, interest will probably be lower
    It'll remain very popular in Japan with Yuzu and the men.
    It'll do well in China if they promote 2015W in Shanghai the right way.
    In Korea, there would be a spillover effect with Kim, but to maintain momentum methinks Park So Youn would have to improve and pick up the baton (she was great at worlds FS).
    In continental Europe it would be remain the same if the ice shows do well, and in Russia it'll still be popular as ever.
    I think in other countries it will pick up where their skaters have had success of late, e.g. Spain and Kazakhstan.
    In Canada it'll drop a bit with Chan and V/M out of the picture, and no obvious superstars are on the rise, unless W/P continue to improve upon their brand-new silver.
    I had thought it'd be forgotten in the US, but let's see because D/W are popular on DWTS. It didn't do wonders for Evan in 2010 but perhaps D/W will have better publicists who can leverage their gold and their exposure.

Banned
    I had thought it'd be forgotten in the US, but let's see because D/W are popular on DWTS. It didn't do wonders for Evan in 2010 but perhaps D/W will have better publicists who can leverage their gold and their exposure.
    lol idk why you think dwts is some big boon...

it's full of nobodies and d-listers looking for 5 more minutes of fame

see: bristol palin, snooki, rob kardashian, two women who literally only got on the show because they used to date george clooney

Custom Title
    lol idk why you think dwts is some big boon...

it's full of nobodies and d-listers looking for 5 more minutes of fame

see: bristol palin, snooki, rob kardashian, two women who literally only got on the show because they used to date george clooney
    Well, it's a popular show! But point well taken about the nobodies they get to show up. And I forgot about George Clooney's ex that Italian lady! (By the way I do not work for ABC or the show's production company, heh.)

The longer I think about it, the more I think it just sucks that the sport just isn't that popular anymore in the US. I think we all want the same thing, for the sport to have greater exposure overall.

Banned
    The longer I think about it, the more I think it just sucks that the sport just isn't that popular anymore in the US. I think we all want the same thing, for the sport to have greater exposure overall.
    this is why you should join me in a prayer circle for a shib sibs sex scandal

eg. does marina seem too close to alex to you guys???????? always touching him and looking at him???????? am i starting baseless rumors?????????? hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

^regarding the popularity of skating in korea.. that really depends how park so youn and other korean skaters will do next season.. i really do hope they continue to grow and improve because it will be nice to see them representing korea without yuna's help..just in time for pyeongchang..

besides i just want yuna to enjoy skating from the spectator's perspective in the audience

eg. does marina seem too close to alex to you guys???????? always touching him and looking at him???????? am i starting baseless rumors?????????? hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

I think someone from the US would know better, but it seems to me that Jason Brown's success especially with the younger crowd might result in something? I mean, 4,3 million youtube hits is nothing to sneeze at, am I right?

Rinkside

Hyperinflation if I go back and read all your posts I'm sure there'll be one from early February like this one, only featuring the words "Russian coach" and "fix"

umm...
    I'm not sure if it'll help FS in the US

I'm here for 'leaked' sex tape though... in HD

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    ^regarding the popularity of skating in korea.. that really depends how park so youn and other korean skaters will do next season.. i really do hope they continue to grow and improve because it will be nice to see them representing korea without yuna's help..just in time for pyeongchang..

besides i just want yuna to enjoy skating from the spectator's perspective in the audience

Hope so. I just hope this girls dont have the same problems as the US women. Every US woman is compared to Michelle Kwan. And if they dont deliever just like Kwan did, some people are quick to write them off.
    Imagine the pressure of up and coming South Korean skaters to live up to Yuna Kim's greatness. They dont have to, but I think they will feel the pressure

Banned

incest ? yuck

Banned
    in Japan it will stay the same, they still have the Prince of FS, Yuzuru Hanyu
    China will gain more fans with Sui/Han and Han Yan
    Julia has returned FS back for Russia with her many followers
    Gracie has that American Hollywood Blonde Charisma, if she wins in Boston expect a sleigh of endorsements and coverage E News etc.

all in all Top 3 Names to bring FS more fans:

* Gracie Gold - a beautiful blonde, quintessential American FS look
    * Yuzuru Hanyu - for Asia / Japan
    * Julia Lipnitskaya - for Europe / Russia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Is it me or do you think the popularity of skating after this season has gone up a small yet positive notch? Not astronomial like in the 90s but a little bit.
    I feel like this seasons events can be a great springboard into this quad cycle to really give the sport a respectable (not extravagant) popularity boost.
    Eh, not really. I do think FS in Sochi was a step up in popularity than Vancouver maybe but not enough for people to care when the ?Olympics are over.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast