Thoughts About Skating's Popularity | Golden Skate

Thoughts About Skating's Popularity

GF2445

Record Breaker
Is it me or do you think the popularity of skating after this season has gone up a small yet positive notch? Not astronomial like in the 90s but a little bit.
I feel like this seasons events can be a great springboard into this quad cycle to really give the sport a respectable (not extravagant) popularity boost.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
it's the usual post olympics boom

it'll be gone by the time next season rolls around and with people like yuna retiring, interest will probably be lower

anyanka

Record Breaker
it's the usual post olympics boom

it'll be gone by the time next season rolls around and with people like yuna retiring, interest will probably be lower

It'll remain very popular in Japan with Yuzu and the men.
It'll do well in China if they promote 2015W in Shanghai the right way.
In Korea, there would be a spillover effect with Kim, but to maintain momentum methinks Park So Youn would have to improve and pick up the baton (she was great at worlds FS).
In continental Europe it would be remain the same if the ice shows do well, and in Russia it'll still be popular as ever.
I think in other countries it will pick up where their skaters have had success of late, e.g. Spain and Kazakhstan.
In Canada it'll drop a bit with Chan and V/M out of the picture, and no obvious superstars are on the rise, unless W/P continue to improve upon their brand-new silver.
I had thought it'd be forgotten in the US, but let's see because D/W are popular on DWTS. It didn't do wonders for Evan in 2010 but perhaps D/W will have better publicists who can leverage their gold and their exposure.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I had thought it'd be forgotten in the US, but let's see because D/W are popular on DWTS. It didn't do wonders for Evan in 2010 but perhaps D/W will have better publicists who can leverage their gold and their exposure.

lol idk why you think dwts is some big boon...

it's full of nobodies and d-listers looking for 5 more minutes of fame

see: bristol palin, snooki, rob kardashian, two women who literally only got on the show because they used to date george clooney

anyanka

Record Breaker
lol idk why you think dwts is some big boon...

it's full of nobodies and d-listers looking for 5 more minutes of fame

see: bristol palin, snooki, rob kardashian, two women who literally only got on the show because they used to date george clooney

Well, it's a popular show! But point well taken about the nobodies they get to show up. And I forgot about George Clooney's ex that Italian lady! (By the way I do not work for ABC or the show's production company, heh.)

The longer I think about it, the more I think it just sucks that the sport just isn't that popular anymore in the US. I think we all want the same thing, for the sport to have greater exposure overall.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
The longer I think about it, the more I think it just sucks that the sport just isn't that popular anymore in the US. I think we all want the same thing, for the sport to have greater exposure overall.

this is why you should join me in a prayer circle for a shib sibs sex scandal

eg. does marina seem too close to alex to you guys???????? always touching him and looking at him???????? am i starting baseless rumors?????????? hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

cooper

Medalist
^regarding the popularity of skating in korea.. that really depends how park so youn and other korean skaters will do next season.. i really do hope they continue to grow and improve because it will be nice to see them representing korea without yuna's help..just in time for pyeongchang.. :)

besides i just want yuna to enjoy skating from the spectator's perspective in the audience:)

eg. does marina seem too close to alex to you guys???????? always touching him and looking at him???????? am i starting baseless rumors?????????? hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

:laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker

I think someone from the US would know better, but it seems to me that Jason Brown's success especially with the younger crowd might result in something? I mean, 4,3 million youtube hits is nothing to sneeze at, am I right?

carey579

Spectator

:rofl:

TMC

Record Breaker
Hyperinflation if I go back and read all your posts I'm sure there'll be one from early February like this one, only featuring the words "Russian coach" and "fix" :rofl:

minze

Medalist
^regarding the popularity of skating in korea.. that really depends how park so youn and other korean skaters will do next season.. i really do hope they continue to grow and improve because it will be nice to see them representing korea without yuna's help..just in time for pyeongchang.. :)

besides i just want yuna to enjoy skating from the spectator's perspective in the audience:)

Hope so. I just hope this girls dont have the same problems as the US women. Every US woman is compared to Michelle Kwan. And if they dont deliever just like Kwan did, some people are quick to write them off.
Imagine the pressure of up and coming South Korean skaters to live up to Yuna Kim's greatness. They dont have to, but I think they will feel the pressure

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

incest ? yuck

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
in Japan it will stay the same, they still have the Prince of FS, Yuzuru Hanyu
China will gain more fans with Sui/Han and Han Yan
Julia has returned FS back for Russia with her many followers
Gracie has that American Hollywood Blonde Charisma, if she wins in Boston expect a sleigh of endorsements and coverage E News etc.

all in all Top 3 Names to bring FS more fans:

* Gracie Gold - a beautiful blonde, quintessential American FS look
* Yuzuru Hanyu - for Asia / Japan
* Julia Lipnitskaya - for Europe / Russia

moviechick

On the Ice
Is it me or do you think the popularity of skating after this season has gone up a small yet positive notch? Not astronomial like in the 90s but a little bit.
I feel like this seasons events can be a great springboard into this quad cycle to really give the sport a respectable (not extravagant) popularity boost.

Eh, not really. I do think FS in Sochi was a step up in popularity than Vancouver maybe but not enough for people to care when the ?Olympics are over.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Eh, not really. I do think FS in Sochi was a step up in popularity than Vancouver maybe but not enough for people to care when the ?Olympics are over.

Julia garnered alot of media attention from the Russian media
same with Gracie who was featured in NBC as the American Golden Girl