Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Skating's Popularity

Custom Title
    The same discussions exist on boards of almost every sport: how to make sport XYZ popular in the US. Everything is just about popularity in the US. This is alpha and omega of sports.
    The same discussion exists on tennis forum, the same on soccer, probably also volleyball, alpine skiing, etc. US, US and US!

And this is actually a very positive sign. Figure skating is not isolated in its struggle for popularity in the US, but is in the same group with many other sports. So it's not about the very nature of figure skating, but it's about the nature of US TV networks in general. So it's not about the lack of US champions, but it's about the TV itself. There are no US champions in tennis either (except Serena, who is controversial even in the US) and the tennis fans complain about exactly the same thing as people here.

There are many US champions and role models in alpine skiing (Mikaela, Julia, Bode, Ted, Lindsay, etc) and the alpine skiing struggles to make the US TV as much as tennis and figure skating.
    The US is a world power in the very spectacular sport of indoor volleyball, while the indoor volleyball is virtually non-existent in the US, except college girls. Volleyball world championships are not covered in the US AT ALL! Is not even mentioned in the press headlines.
    So no matter how many world champions US will produce, how many gold medals Gracie or Jason win, nothing will change. It all doesn't matter. It's all about the very philosophy of US networks.

For the US networks the unit of measure is millions. If something cannot be measured in millions then it simply has no right to exist. It is pushed to niches and elitist obscurity. Champions don't matter. The philosophy of gigantism is at the very core of US networks. I am not US born, it took me years to learn this system, but now I can see how it really is because I can compare both.

And figure skating will never be measured in millions. Therefore talk about bringing figure skating to TV prime time is baseless. Assuming what figure skating is we can say it's already as popular as it can be. It gets as much prime time as tennis, and much more than tracks, volleyball, alpine skiing and many many other sports all put together.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Please do not use explicit sexual references on GS. GS is a g-rated board.

Also, please do not insult other posters.

If you find a post to be inappropriate, please report it to the mods rather than becoming angry and firing back at the person who has upset you.

Banned
    Skating is no longer popular because the scoring and competitions are fake, like Reality TV, and real sport fans don't watch phoney, staged, BS competitions like the SOchi Olympic Figure Skating "Competition." FS will never recover its former audience.

umm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Skating is no longer popular because the scoring and competitions are fake, like Reality TV, and real sport fans don't watch phoney, staged, BS competitions like the SOchi Olympic Figure Skating "Competition." FS will never recover its former audience.
    They only watch fair competitions, like Skate Canada and Skate America..

But I agree tbh

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I really hope that the real reason for Gracie's absence at the gala is because she was hitting up one of the Tokyo area's cutting edge salons looking for a change like this:
    [url]http://www.luvimages.com/image/long_purple_hair-4250.html[/url]

Then the whole "perfect blonde princess" thing can stop, and it will be all about who's currently putting out the good skating.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    The same discussions exist on boards of almost every sport: how to make sport XYZ popular in the US. Everything is just about popularity in the US. This is alpha and omega of sports.
    The same discussion exists on tennis forum, the same on soccer, probably also volleyball, alpine skiing, etc. US, US and US!

And this is actually a very positive sign. Figure skating is not isolated in its struggle for popularity in the US, but is in the same group with many other sports. So it's not about the very nature of figure skating, but it's about the nature of US TV networks in general. So it's not about the lack of US champions, but it's about the TV itself. There are no US champions in tennis either (except Serena, who is controversial even in the US) and the tennis fans complain about exactly the same thing as people here.

There are many US champions and role models in alpine skiing (Mikaela, Julia, Bode, Ted, Lindsay, etc) and the alpine skiing struggles to make the US TV as much as tennis and figure skating.
    The US is a world power in the very spectacular sport of indoor volleyball, while the indoor volleyball is virtually non-existent in the US, except college girls. Volleyball world championships are not covered in the US AT ALL! Is not even mentioned in the press headlines.
    So no matter how many world champions US will produce, how many gold medals Gracie or Jason win, nothing will change. It all doesn't matter. It's all about the very philosophy of US networks.

For the US networks the unit of measure is millions. If something cannot be measured in millions then it simply has no right to exist. It is pushed to niches and elitist obscurity. Champions don't matter. The philosophy of gigantism is at the very core of US networks. I am not US born, it took me years to learn this system, but now I can see how it really is because I can compare both.

And figure skating will never be measured in millions. Therefore talk about bringing figure skating to TV prime time is baseless. Assuming what figure skating is we can say it's already as popular as it can be. It gets as much prime time as tennis, and much more than tracks, volleyball, alpine skiing and many many other sports all put together.

By the way, US girls in volleyball are fantastic. What a team!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    GS is a g-rated board.
    g-string rated, amiright?

I think skating is already popular in Russia or USA, with or without Julia, Gracie etc. What I would like to know is whether skating's popularity increased in countries which have only one amazing skater (Spain-Javi, Kazahstan-Denis).

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Or the Philippines !!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    I think skating is already popular in Russia or USA, with or without Julia, Gracie etc. What I would like to know is whether skating's popularity increased in countries which have only one amazing skater (Spain-Javi, Kazahstan-Denis).
    Spain definitely. I was there over the winter. On their sports network, they were replaying two things quite a bit - FC Barcelona and 2013 Worlds Men's Event. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Or the Philippines !!
    as a filipino i applaud michael's performance at sochi!! and i hope he continues to grow! but it's a long way to go.. basketball and boxing (manny pacquiao's mania) are the top 2 most popular sports.. we barely see skating competitions in tv here...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    This. So much. Gracie could be great and could be popular, but sky_fly needs to stop talking about her like she ALREADY is some household name.

Gold came 5th at Worlds, when a medal was certainly attainable for her (especially given how much Kostner bombed). She has one US National title. Compared to Michelle, she is unbelievably basic.
    And Ashley beat her in the long program, despite being underscored (IMHO).

umm...
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    And Ashley beat her in the long program, despite being underscored (IMHO).
    ...and Gracie being overscored in SP and FP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Stop trying to make Gracie happen. She's never gonna happen.
    Gracie Gold is so fetch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Gracie Gold is so fetch.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast