The ShibShibs Will Keep Competing | Golden Skate

The ShibShibs Will Keep Competing

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't think this has been posted yet at least in the Edge.

"We were aggressive and attacked every practice and every performance to make the most of the opportunity [and] to show people what they can look forward to from us for the coming years," Alex said.
He went on to confirm that he and his younger sister plan to continue competing and training under Zoueva.
"Next year starts right away for us," he said. "We have a great team of coaches around us; we really trust Marina. I know we are going to come up with some great stuff over the next four years."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/29/70411480

I know a lot of people (me included) are not convinced Zuzu is the best coach for them, but if they have real confidence in her that's the important thing I suppose.

I am glad they have decided to continue on!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Assuming that her two other teams (geez, forgot their names ;)) retire, she might have more time to devote to the ShibSibs. I really was impressed with their Worlds performances and felt they were underscored.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Assuming that her two other teams (geez, forgot their names ;)) retire, she might have more time to devote to the ShibSibs. I really was impressed with their Worlds performances and felt they were underscored.

I never thought it was a question of time, all her teams have always been clear that there is a schedule and everyone sees it and she gives an equal amount of time to each team she coaches. I think it is more a question of her not knowing what to do with a sibling team. But maybe I am wrong and she's going to surprise me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
depressing :disapp:

Oh, get over yourself.

The only depressing thing (other than your deplorable attitude :rolleye:) is that they were shafted in the SD when they clearly deserved to be ahead of I/K and in the final flight. They've improved this season since the previous one, and are undoubtedly the #2 US Team. They're only 19 and 22, also, so they have many years left in them.

Good for them.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love their "tough" faces in the Jackson medley. They are so cute.

Barb

Record Breaker
depressing :disapp:

but I am sure if their weight were (Alex) 50kg and (Maia) 40kg you would be totally into them :sarcasm: . And I really dont understand people saying they should retire because they are not winning, they are very young, in that case every couple except the best three should to quit ice dancing. Maia is only 19yo, when Anna Capellini was 19 she was not so succesfull lika Maia is now, and you see, she and Luca are world champions this year :love:.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm glad they are continuing too. I enjoy watching them. I just wish they had skated to something other than Michael Jackson in an Olympic Year. I really don't think it showed them well. Hopefully Zueva will come up with something a little more charismatic and inspiring. And they ARE young! I think there are many, many pieces of music that don't have a sexual connotation that siblings could skate to.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
but I am sure if their weight were (Alex) 50kg and (Maia) 40kg you would be totally into them :sarcasm: . And I really dont understand people saying they should retire because they are not winning, they are very young, in that case every couple except the best three should to quit ice dancing. Maia is only 19yo, when Anna Capellini was 19 she was not so succesfull lika Maia is now, and you see, she and Luca are world champions this year :love:.

They are winning. They got 2 bronzes on the Grand Prix this year. Which is certainly more than certain other American skaters earned. :sarcasm:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They are winning. They got 2 bronzes on the Grand Prix this year. Which is certainly more than certain other American skaters earned. :sarcasm:

LOL. That's a good point. In fact, they have medaled at every GP even they've entered except for GPF in 2011 and Cup of Russia in 2012.

I'm in the minority, but I think the MJ program was not a total waste for them. If nothing else, it forced Maia to perform a lot more. When they were doing more lyrical programs, I think it was easy for her to be more reserved.

I feel this year was the first year that Alex wasn't dealing with injures or they weren't dealing with some major growth spout. Because of the three year age difference, they essentially had to go through two growth spouts. Alex's occurred in the 2009-2010 season while Maia started growing in the 2011-2012 season.

So I'm hoping now they're more settled in they can focus on the programs and less with navigating physics.

chloepoco

Medalist
I also enjoyed their MJ program.

I'm probably even more in the minority in that I like them way more than Chock/Bates. The Shibutani's are my favorite team now that Davis/White have retired.

Sloopy

On the Ice
I also enjoyed their MJ program.

I'm probably even more in the minority in that I like them way more than Chock/Bates. The Shibutani's are my favorite team now that Davis/White have retired.

I'm with you on this one. I actually liked them on the same level as Meryl and Charlie, and I cannot see what all of the fuss is about Chock/Bates. Now I did like Bates with his previous partner.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm with you on this one. I actually liked them on the same level as Meryl and Charlie, and I cannot see what all of the fuss is about Chock/Bates. Now I did like Bates with his previous partner.

See them live. They explode across the ice. I never got them either till I saw them at Nationals; now I'm an uber.

lbc2138

On the Ice
My favorite dance team! I'd be so sad if they were to call it quits before the next Olympics.

I feel like there's something untapped within them and for some reason I feel that it wasn't all there this season despite the awesome MJ program. I'm not sure what it will take but they have a good number of years to improve and they're not on a bad track. I remember reading on another forum that their programs are going to have to be executed a little differently from other pairs since they are brother and sister and they can't do romantic programs, but I think that's something that will help them grow as ice dancers and as siblings.

Scovies

Final Flight
I'm glad they're continuing, but I'm hoping against hope that Marina can get them some good programs. Their TES are almost on par with (and in some cases better than) the top teams, but they're lagging behind in PCS. With a killer program, I think they can break through.