Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov end partnership | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov end partnership

tulosai

Record Breaker
Poor Vasilisa - I'm happy they didn't do the old switcheroo and give her to Yuri

She is REALLY good, I hope they will find her a partner tall enough to handle her and she doesn't become another Margaret Purdy.

In truth, if she grows much taller, she will be pushing the upward bounds of a height at which a partner can reasonably expect to be found. 5'3" tends to be around the tallest the top female pairs skaters are, and usually they are shorter. Davankova now is taller than that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I've seen comments on other forums that Vasilisa could pair with Sergey Mozgov (they're a couple), and then the federation would find Anna Yanovskaya a new partner. Anna's 5'4" or slightly taller and Mozgov is 6'2" so maybe Mozgov/Davankova would work?

Then again, I don't like how the Federation is condoning partner splits in so many of their dance and pairs teams simultaneously...

only problem Sergey Mozgov is an Ice Dancer not a Pair skater

gmyers

Record Breaker
Regarding the split with Davankova, Deputat says:

A lot of couples try to just deal with similar height but its true it will most often lead to separation because similar height damage execution of a lot of elements.

bsfan

On the Ice
It's great that Vera has a better partner AND a better coach. Hope Davankova can find a good partner too. She is too good to be wasted, much more special/better than the other 2 russian pair girls.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's great that Vera has a better partner AND a better coach. Hope Davankova can find a good partner too. She is too good to be wasted, much more special/better than the other 2 russian pair girls.

she is too tall now, it will be very hard for her to get another partner that can handle her height

as predicted D/D ended early because of height similarities
also the next to split up will be Stepanova / Bukin who have the similar height issues as well

Good news for Elena Ilinykh !

bsfan

On the Ice
Really hope Bukin and Ilinykh can dance together. That will be a fairly happy ending of these partner change. The sport is very brutal when I think of those skaters that don't have a partner.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Really hope Bukin and Ilinykh can dance together. That will be a fairly happy ending of these partner change. The sport is very brutal when I think of those skaters that don't have a partner.

this is very likely
Stepanova since last fall has reportedly continued growing
and even Zhuk/Svinin has mentioned this.

probably this summer or very soon
Stepanova / Bukin will split up

It is indeed frustrating
this is why the ISU should have a height standard for Ice Dance / Pairs competing
those who do not meet the height criteria will not be allowed in ISU sanctioned events

tulosai

Record Breaker
It is indeed frustrating
this is why the ISU should have a height standard for Ice Dance / Pairs competing
those who do not meet the height criteria will not be allowed in ISU sanctioned events

WHY? Either they can do the elements or they can't and either they can do them well or they can't. While I don't think height (particularly height relative to your partner) is irrelevant, there is no point to the ISU having a height standard. This all gets sorted in that when pairs are not able to make a height difference work, they split and find new partners.

What would your 'criteria' be? Keep in mind that your beloved Bazarova is 160 centimeters. While if Deputat's quote is to be believed she is taller now, during the past season, when you kept saying she was dooooooomed, Davankova was 159 cm. Would 159 be your cut off? In that case, Bazarova can't skate with Deputat! DONE!

There is also no pretending weight isn't part of the equation. Bazarova is slighter than Davankova. There is no pretending that is no help to Deputat in lifting her, even though she and Davankova are of a similar height.

Additionally even Margaret Purdy, for example, who I frankly do think is doomed due to her height, not just in her current partnership but also probably generally, might be suddenly un-doomed if she found a good skater of 6'2" or even 6'1" to skate with. A big part of her doom comes from the fact that her current partner is much shorter than that, and that very few male skaters are that tall.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What would your 'criteria' be? Keep in mind that your beloved Bazarova is 160 centimeters. While if Deputat's quote is to be believed she is taller now, during the past season, when you kept saying she was dooooooomed, Davankova was 159 cm. Would 159 be your cut off? In that case, Bazarova can't skate with Deputat! DONE!

Davankova is reportedly now 162 cm and still growing !
Bazarova is 21, but her frame is light, so Deputat will have less problem adjusting to her from Davankova

by introducing a height standard by ISU we will prevent something like this heppening in the first place

tulosai

Record Breaker
Davankova is reportedly now 162 cm and still growing !
Bazarova is 21, but her frame is light, so Deputat will have less problem adjusting to her from Davankova

by introducing a height standard by ISU we will prevent something like this heppening in the first place

It won't, though, because Davankova was not always this tall. When they were first together she was tiny and I mean TINY. Look at her wiki page.

I think better to toughen up even further on age standards so little girls won't continually be paired with men. Clearly no one would try to pair Davankova and Deputat, now, it is true. Why should they have tried to pair them when she was 11 years old and no one knew how tall she'd get either?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Davankova better than Volosozhar , Stolbova ? that would be a mockery
I think he/she meant Vigalova, Tarasova junior skaters

Yes I think this too, and I also do agree she is better than them. The real question is if there is a partner tall enough for her. She needs someone at least 6' and relatively sturdy, and that is IF she doesn't grow more :/

hanca

Record Breaker

Oh, God! You are again starting! If it is not skater's weight, it is their height! Give it a rest!
I notice how you criticise so many skaters for their weight, do you want to post here your measurements?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It won't, though, because Davankova was not always this tall. When they were first together she was tiny and I mean TINY. Look at her wiki page.

but back in late 2012, when she posted a video of her and her sister ( who was model tall 5'7-5'11 ) both singing in her vk page
that was it for her, her partnership with Deputat was almost up

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes I think this too, and I also do agree she is better than them. The real question is if there is a partner tall enough for her. She needs someone at least 6' and relatively sturdy, and that is IF she doesn't grow more :/

Vladimir Morozov is 6'2
too bad he's with Tarasova who are real life couple off ice

tulosai

Record Breaker
but back in late 2012, when she posted a video of her and her sister ( who was model tall 5'7-5'11 ) both singing in her vk page
that was it for her, her partnership with Deputat was almost up

Whether or not this weird attempt to redirect the conversation from the actual points I am making makes any sense, I still don't see how height standards would help. Surely you would not think the ISU should make couples split BEFORE they reached whatever height they deemed unacceptable in this crazy idea you have. Surely you don't really believe the ISU can predict the future heights of people based on a youtube video or anything else. We aren't living in Minority Report, Figure Skating Style.

bsfan

On the Ice
Volosozhar and Stolbova?

Sorry I can't spell their names. The 2 pair girls who have no partner at the moment. Both from Pavlova's team( spelling?), one is in France, the other is spelled like Martuseva(?).

And Davankova has elegant lines. She should skate with someone with long lines too.