Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Thread: Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    No! No Carmen for anyone! It's always the same interviews about "Carmen like it's never been done before!", and then you get either same old, same old traditional interpretations or some wild stabs at "modern" that might work or might not (often they don't, or at least parts of audience and judges don't get it...). Also, Zhulin already did one Carmen for Navka/Kostomarov and they won Olys with it, so you wouldn't only have the comparisons with B/B, K/O and V/M, you'd have Zhulin's own work as a reference point as well. Very risky.

I hope they come up with something good again, I think Zhulin tends to be a bit hit and miss on that front (with all his pairs, though I guess no choreographer has a spotless record there...). What I really appreciate about Anna Karenina (I didn't at first, but the longer the season wears on the clearer it gets), is that it's such a contrast to all that twinkling and wafting around with nebulous concepts going on around them, particularly coming from Montreal. So I like S/K and their old-fashioned Bocelli throwback, C/L doing C/L, C/B attempting Rach and at least giving it some oomph and drama, G/P being wacky, and B/S doing Anna Karenina.

pushing the boudaries in dance and in live

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    No! No Carmen for anyone! It's always the same interviews about "Carmen like it's never been done before!", and then you get either same old, same old traditional interpretations or some wild stabs at "modern" that might work or might not (often they don't, or at least parts of audience and judges don't get it...). Also, Zhulin already did one Carmen for Navka/Kostomarov and they won Olys with it, so you wouldn't only have the comparisons with B/B, K/O and V/M, you'd have Zhulin's own work as a reference point as well. Very risky.

I hope they come up with something good again, I think Zhulin tends to be a bit hit and miss on that front (with all his pairs, though I guess no choreographer has a spotless record there...). What I really appreciate about Anna Karenina (I didn't at first, but the longer the season wears on the clearer it gets), is that it's such a contrast to all that twinkling and wafting around with nebulous concepts going on around them, particularly coming from Montreal. So I like S/K and their old-fashioned Bocelli throwback, C/L doing C/L, C/B attempting Rach and at least giving it some oomph and drama, G/P being wacky, and B/S doing Anna Karenina.
    hmmmm, I wouldn't call them 'wacky', but they're definitely lighting the candle for true quirkiness and originality - both their dances this season are 'out there' and it's kind of refreshing. And their FD is a gem for me - the level of uniqueness is insane, music is haunting and choreography is actually very innovative. I'm a bit of no regarding costumes presented at Nationals for FD, but it's not that disturbing for me
    Last edited by NoNameFace; 02-03-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Good guys only win in movies

0 Not allowed!
    If we're talking about war-horses here, I can see them doing extremely successful 'Danse Macabre' or even 'Bolero'. I agree with Matt here, they're probably the only team in current field who can pull it off!
    'Violin Muse' would be good for them too, it's pretty dance friendly and dramatic and doesn't sound too classic, like original Chaconnes it came from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xL26bU218

What do you guys think?

Good guys only win in movies

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katha View Post
    In fact, Zhulin did TWO 'Carmen's. Last season Bobrova/Soloviev's paso doble SD was to 'Carmen'. Ironic, right? That we did not see it, and will probably never see it ever. And it was finished whole dance, not just an abstract idea. Not sure if it's for the best or for the worst.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Violin muse is really pretty, but It's just not as nuanced as Anna Karenina is, for example. Or as Bolero, I actually would really like them to do a version of Bolero.

However, if we're going the bolero route, I think they could try Zbigniew Preisner's bolero, or the Red or Blue soundtrack, both are pretty fantastic. One of my favorite pieces from his is the Song of the Unification of Europe. Is a dramatic piece, really heavy, and I think it could be perfect for them.

Or they could even try Schnittke's Concerto Grosso No. 1. Love that one too.
    Last edited by coldblueeyes; 02-03-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Savchenko Stolbova Sui supporter

1 Not allowed!
    Yes to Schnittke! Not enough skating to that guy, I say.

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55