State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 98 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I do wish there was more variability among the program component scores for some of the top skaters. For example, there is rarely more than a .5 difference (e.g., 8.12 to 8.65) across the five component categories (e.g., SS, PE, CH, IN, TR). Ashley, in my opinion, should have gotten 9 (or higher) for IN and CH, maybe 8.5 for TR, and 8 for SS, with PE more likely effected by the Performance. In this scenario, her scores are relatively close, but still a full 1.0 point difference across categories. I would argue Miyahara should have a wider range. She should get 7-7.5 for SS, but could score as high as 9.0 for CH or 8.5 for PE, but that is 1.5 to 2.0 difference across those categories. Judges rarely give big score differences across categories, especially when the Program is executed well. I think there is more room to differentiate these categories for some skaters, especially when some are very slow, don't have any height or flow in jumps, no real eye contact or musicality, but might be consistent.

I think Miyahara's SS should be at least 1 point higher than Wagner's SS. TR should be 1.5 points higher.
The rest should be up for debate.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
And then she blew the FS....and has been blowing everything since.

Actually I believe Mirai should have gotten Bronze in 2010. It was pretty obvious why she didn't. She skated the lights out in both SP and FS, even with one mistake or something in FS, she should have been above Rochette. It is a sad, sad, world of politics. :(

Also! I also really like Emily Chan, and am excited to see her in Juniors! Plus, it seems like she already went through puberty, so there is no need to worry about that! :D

Globetrotter

Medalist
Using Ashley as an example (and I'm assuming you're talking about worlds) I have to disagree with some of those scores.

I agree with the 8 for SS but 8.5 in TR for Ashley is extremely generous given the amount of crossovers her program is loaded with.........

TBH, I'd argue Miyahara has the strongest overall SS out of all of the ladies in the top 10 at worlds this year. :hijacked:

Interesting, looks like we have similar views on PCS regarding Wagner and Miyahara. I agree largely regarding the PE, IN and CH for Wagner but often this really depends on whether she hits big. With her performance in the GPF and Nats, I would say she deserved even 8.5 to 9.00 range. However, I do think her SS is actually pretty modest, with one of the weakest edge works among the current top ladies. Her edges are shallow and the edge changes in steps are actually quite mediocre. If not for the upper body movement and carriage and maturity, I doubt she would have managed to impress in her Stsq. I will put her SS around 7.50 as well. Miyahara's TES really ought to get lower GOEs but sadly, she has been underscored in PCS. I agree with you on this, she has probably the best SS and edge work with only Gracie Gold being possibly stronger. She does not look like she covers much ice as she is very small and does not project the extroverted big skater sort like say Karen Chen. A friend who was in Shanghai for Worlds told me though that live, she actually moves real fast. I think her SS should be in the 8.50-8.75 range. PE, CH and IN are rather subjective and not many people appreciate her rather introspective type performance but I happen to appreciate that and will say she deserves something in the 8.00 to 8.50 range. By contrast, I am happy to consider that Gracie should hit 8.50 to 9.00 for SS but her CH and IN to me in a very subjective way will only be 7.50 to 8.00 as it just didn't quite click.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Actually I believe Mirai should have gotten Bronze in 2010. It was pretty obvious why she didn't. She skated the lights out in both SP and FS, even with one mistake or something in FS, she should have been above Rochette. It is a sad, sad, world of politics. :(
2010 Worlds, not 2010 Olympics.

Amei

Record Breaker
But in theory wouldn't an easier combination be less stressful and easier to perform? Plus it might give her different motivation/a different mindset. Set a small goal of landing an easier jumping pass, then work on building up. She would have an end goal in mind and smaller goals along the way. That could help for some people.

I do think her's is largely mental, but a part of me still thinks you should bring what you can do, not what you should be able to do. What she is doing is not working, maybe it is time to scale back.

From the news article on NBC, her and her team are doing the opposite going after a 3A and a 4S

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Also! I also really like Emily Chan, and am excited to see her in Juniors! Plus, it seems like she already went through puberty, so there is no need to worry about that! :D

She may have competed as a novice at Nationals, but I believe Emily Chan turned 18 this month or is turning 18 soon, so she most likely is post puberty. Shame that she will only be JGP eligible for one or two seasons (not quite sure when her birthday is, I tried to look it up but couldn't find it). If she turns 18 before July, I hope that she winds up getting a JGP assignment this fall as it would be her last chance!

flying camel

Medalist
Rudy did not do her any favors with that LP. But I think her SP was an attempt at interpreting the music with a little sass!

I still think she should have finished a little higher at world's.

Last edited: