Thread: Gracie Gold's 3A

Medalist

Gracie Gold's 3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-0sYGrI6Lk
    Just watch..
    I don't know if she can still do it. The video is 3 years old.

Custom Title
    I bet she can. Gracie is a really powerful jumper.

Custom Title
    I very much doubt it. Her jumps don't seem as powerful for some reason and her 2axel doesn't get much height so i doubt she will ever work on it again. Her old coach was a good jump coach and i think she really misses him if only for his jump technique.

Custom Title
    Gracie has strong triples, but her double axel isn't very powerful (or even consistent). I would be surprised if she were the one to bring 3A.

Custom Title
    Seems to me like if she could do it before she could do it again with the proper training. She has a very tight rotation in the air and that's certainly a good part of it.

Custom Title
    She has tight, quick rotation on most of her jumps, but her 2A is pretty scary-looking right now. I was really surprised to see this.

Ok, this is the 3A period

Custom Title
    I don't think we will see this again. If you compare Liza and Gracie's 2A you can see how much more potential and good technique Liza's has to pull off the triple.

ETA - if we do see this again it would be after serious work on Gracie's 2A technique, so not anytime soon. I think she has enough to focus on right now.

Custom Title
    Gracie needs to be more consistent with her current jumps before attempting a more difficult jump.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Yeah, the axel is one of Gracie's weaker jumps. She gets good rotation in that video but it's obvious it's due to the lift she gets from the harness. To do a 3A without the harness she can't hesitate on the rotation like she did in that video.

I rarely put much stock in videos of people doing 3As on a harness. Alissa Czisny could do a 3A in a harness...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 02-26-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Custom Title
    Oh my, we really need world's quickly to come. this is getting ridiculous pretty soon we will have new threads like Hanyu picks his nose with his toe pick or Ashley Wagner learns how to flick her hair seductively as a new element.

Custom Title
    Her 2A technique is not good, but this does not mean a 3A would be impossible. I think Mishin exactly wrote that doing a 3A is more about using the free leg to rotate rather than get height (which is what you do in the 2A). Reason why Liza's 3A is not super high. I think Gracie's 2A technique does not get good height, but she could get good rotation from it? The video, in harness though, is not much proof.

I've got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Alissa Czisny could do a 3A in a harness...
    Come on, now. Let's not make AC a punchline. That's just cruel. (No sarcasm.)

I have no opinion on GG's 3A potential. I hope she can do it, but I hope many female figure skaters will follow in the footsteps of Midori Ito, Tonya Harding, and Mao Asada.

Down With It

I rarely put much stock in videos of people doing 3As on a harness. Alissa Czisny could do a 3A in a harness...

If she could do it, of all people...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    If she could do it, of all people...
    From an old GS thread:
    https://vimeo.com/80678709 (Alissa's harness training starts at 7:45).