Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai has always done well with exhibition programs. It's executing all the jumps in a competitive program (especially in the FS) and at the same time relating to the music that is a problem for her. She just can't seem to do both.
    It will be interesting to see. I don't think any program given to her in the quad suited her. Adams programs seem to have a nice effect on her.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    On the topic of American ladies, Ashley and Polina have birthdays this week: Ashley on Friday, Polina on Sunday. May they both have a lot of fun and success in their 23rd and 16th years. And maybe a fun little SOI party

What about Gao? Last year she took the year off from school to concentrate on the Olympics... Will she be around next season?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    What about Gao? Last year she took the year off from school to concentrate on the Olympics... Will she be around next season?
    I don't think she's made any announcements yet. She may decide to continue. Christina skated better when her attention was divided b/w skating and school (the 2012-2013 season). Last year when she focused solely on skating the results were not that great.

If she decides to come back for another year, I think she should stick to the school-and-skate formula. It worked pretty well for her. Truth be told, I'm not sure how much farther she can go at this point. With all of the new talent coming up, I don't know exactly where she'll fit in or if the judges will even give her room to fit in. Like so many of the other US veterans, she's fighting against the tide of new girls entering the senior ranks.

Custom Title
    Do we have any news on the when the envelopes are announced?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shiroKJ View Post
    Do we have any news on the when the envelopes are announced?
    o news as to when the official announcement will be made but the published criteria makes it easy to see who falls where:

TEAM A - TIER 1
    Placements 1st - 5th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Gold, Abbott, Chock/Bates
    Placements 1st - 5th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games- Davis/White (out for 2014-2015)
    2014 U.S. National Senior Champion combined with a top 10 placement at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games or 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Castelli/Shnapir (split)

TEAM A - TIER 2
    2014 U.S. National Senior Champion
    Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Wagner, Edmunds, Aaron, Shibs
    Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games-Brown, (Shibs, Edmunds)
    Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
    2014 ISU Four Continents Champion- Hubbell/Donohue

TEAM B - TIER 1
    Placements 11th and lower at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Zhang/bartholomay, Aldridge/Eaton
    Placements 2nd - 4th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Nagasu, Farris, Denney/Coughlin (retiring?), Scimeca/Knierim
    Placements 4th - 6th at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
    Placements 2nd - 3rd at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships- Kayne/O'Shea
    Olympic Team and/or World Team 1st Alternate in the 2013-14 season
    Champion at any of the six ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season

TEAM B - TIER 2
    Placements 2nd - 3rd at any of the six ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- Rippon
    Placements 4th - 6th at the 2014 Four Continents Championships- Hicks, Dornbush, Denney/Frazier
    Placement 5th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Cesario,
    Champions in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season combined with a top 10 finish at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Donlan/Speroff (split); Cannuscio/McManus
    Olympic Team and/or World Team 2nd and 3rd Alternates in the 2013-14 season
    2014 ISU World Junior Champion- Hawayek/Baker

TEAM C - TIER 1
    Placements 7th - 10th at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships-
    Placements 6th -7th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Long, Razzano, Miner, Leng/LeDuc (split)
    Champions in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season
    Placements 2nd - 3rd at the 2014 ISU World Junior Championships
    2014 U.S. Junior Champion- Glenn, N. Chen, Aaron/Settlage
    Champion at any of the seven ISU Junior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- McNamara/Carpenter, Karen Chen
    Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season

TEAM C - TIER 2
    Placements 11th and lower at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships
    Placements 2nd - 3rd in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season- Cain
    Placements 8th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Gao, Olson/Lorello
    Placements 4th and lower at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season- Wang, Parsons/parsons
    Placements 4th and lower at the 2014 ISU World Junior Championships- Tyler Pearce, Jordan Moeller, Omori
    Placements 2nd - 3rd in the junior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Ashley Shin
    Placements 2nd - 3rd at any of the seven ISU Junior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- Mariah Bell

Missed meeting criteria- Zawadski, Hannah Miller. Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 2 will be given for senior level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    No news as to when the official announcement will be made but the published criteria makes it easy to see who falls where:

TEAM A - TIER 2
    2014 U.S. National Senior Champion
    Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Wagner, Edmunds, Brown, Aaron, Shibs
    Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games-
    Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
    2014 ISU Four Continents Champion- Hubbell/Donohue

flutzy, thx for the informative list - covering all four disciplines .

Pls forgive me for a tiny bit of nitpicking: although still the same envelope, you meant to cite Brown's placement at the Olympics, not at Worlds.

Medalist
    GL to Polina

Medalist
    I think it will be an interesting season for the US ladies! i want to see some girls without Grand Prix events to get senior b's so they get experience too. I love that we have 3 spots for worlds again and 3 seeded skaters for the GP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    flutzy, thx for the informative list - covering all four disciplines .

Pls forgive me for a tiny bit of nitpicking: although still the same envelope, you meant to cite Brown's placement at the Olympics, not at Worlds.
    You are so welcome- I figured all 4 disciplines was helpful just in the context of how many envelopes were being split between the various categories and seeing what money is falling back into the pool due to splits. And yes, of course you are right and I will edit.

Bumping this thread to note USA GP assignments (in order of nationals placement)

Gracie Gold (S1)- SA, NHK
    Polina Edmunds (S2) - COC, NHK
    Mirai Nagasu (S3) - SA, RC
    Ashley Wagner (S4) - SC, TEB
    Samantha Cesario (S5) - TEB
    Courtney Hicks (S6) - SC, TEB
    Christina Gao (S8) - COC, NHK
    Ashley Cain (S12) - COC
    Angela Wang (S15)- RC
    Vanessa Lam (S20) -RC

No assignments for (out of those who are not retiring/sitting out AFAIK):
    Hannah Miller (S9)
    Leah Keiser (S10)
    Mariah Bell (S13)
    Yasmin Siraj (S16)
    Franchesca Chiera (S17)
    Caroline Zhang (S19)

Some of them are likely to head back to JGP or get senior B's.

Vanessa Lam is a surprise considering her poor results last season. Also surprised Samantha did not get two GP assignments.

There is still a SA TBA. Samantha looks good to get that one I think, though they might wan to spread the wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Vanessa Lam is a surprise considering her poor results last season. Also surprised Samantha did not get two GP assignments.
    Didn't Samantha have 2 last year?

I was hoping Hannah Miller and Barbie Long would get one....

Custom Title
    Vanessa Lam getting a GP assignment is so out of the blue considering she's done nothing internationally in almost 3 years and had like one international competition last season. To top it off she finished next to last at Nationals. Not the kind of skater i would think would be deserving of a GP event while many better younger skaters are being left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Vanessa Lam getting a GP assignment is so out of the blue considering she's done nothing internationally in almost 3 years and had like one international competition last season. To top it off she finished next to last at Nationals. Not the kind of skater i would think would be deserving of a GP event while many better younger skaters are being left out.
    Yes, I really liked her as a Junior, but finishing after Zhang at Nationals is not exactly what you expect from a GP-level skater (with all due respect to Zhang, but we all know what her current skating level is like)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    Didn't Samantha have 2 last year?

I was hoping Hannah Miller and Barbie Long would get one....
    Samantha had a great season and is credible as a Senior! Lam has never regained form after her injury. Is she in Boston for Harvard?

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast