Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the American Ladies III: 2014-15 Season

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai left for Japan before Worlds. There are two SOI shows, one in Japan and one in the US. It's my understanding that the one in Japan pays better.
    She's listed as part of the SOI USA cast on the website.

Also:
    Mirai Nagasu
    ‏@mirai_nagasu
    Cheering on @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite after our first practice on stars on ice USA

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Why do you have to name a coach to compete on the GP? And could she just name, for example, her dad, if she fails to find a 'real' coach?
    USFS requirement that you have a coach. No, her dad is not on the approved list. She will also need to be monitored.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    How do you figure that? Just watch Gracie from 2 years ago as a Junior and compare how much better she is now overall. And this after only about 6 months with Frank. Now she has all summer to get good programs and work with Frank. People forget she didn't even have a coach when the season began she was on a one way road to disaster this season. I think she did pretty well with all the unrealistic pressure she had on her.
    I suppose I should wait for two new programs with Frank before I decide, but her skating never moves me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Jammers. It's nice to read someone saying something nice about Gracie for a change!!!
    Jammers has been on the Gold bandwagon for close to two years, about every other post touting Gold. Which, BTW, is fine with me, glad Jammers has found someone to support.

Custom Title
    Well just to clarify Mirai is doing Stars on Ice USA. There is nothing to indicate she is also doing Japan. I checked the Japanese website and she is not on the roster, which looks pretty complete at this point. I suppose she could be added to it, but somehow I doubt that will be the case.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    USFS requirement that you have a coach. No, her dad is not on the approved list. She will also need to be monitored.
    She can always use Galina Barinova in a pinch. She apparently is on the approved list and has brought nothing but good performances for Mirai.

Custom Title
    Gracie was very nervous, but let's face it, that was the worst possible spot, ending the competition.
    Yes, her spot in FS was worst for her.
    But because she skated just after clean Anna's skating. No matter was Gracie last or second in warm-up.
    It made Gracie more nervous.

Pogo, who has to be the most expressionless skater I've seen in a long time.
    Somebody is blind.
    You?
    Or 18000 spectators with their standing ovation?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Y

Somebody is blind.
    You?
    Or 18000 spectators with their standing ovation?
    ALL the skaters in the final group got standing ovations. Anna got hers for turning in a technically clean program.
    But of the ladies who skated in the final group, Anna got the lowest PCS score, so the judges agree with me.
    She had lots of speed, but not much in the way of character or relation to the music.

Custom Title
    ALL the skaters in the final group got standing ovations.
    No.
    Kostner - only some spectators stood up. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmT876rlpfA from 5:50.
    Suzuki - got.
    Asada - got, of course.
    Lipnitskaia - less than half of spectators. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IVh5FyJg2o
    Gold - like Kostner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za88iOk9-hM

Pogorilaya - the only of non-Japanese Ladies in last warm-up with massive standing ovation.

Down With It
    Getting back on topic, which US woman do you think has the most potential to surprise?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Getting back on topic, which US woman do you think has the most potential to surprise?
    Polina, I think if it is a correct way to reply to your question as she already has surprised us. I really look forward to watching her in the next season. She's got technical ability, musicality and composure and I like her balletic lines which God knows how does she manages that within this awkward frame of hers at the moment.

I really hope that Gracie would change her style next season. As of now: she is so nice, her programs are so nice, her outfits are so nice - what missing is personality, distinctive style, wow factor. I think her Sleeping Beauty lp was totally wrong for her, I actually made my mind about Gracie that she would never impress me and then I saw her in the Olympic Gala and thought wow this girl can be so different! Chicago or something similar could bring much more personality and the style really suits her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I believe, Polina Edmunds, at season 2015/2016.

Ashley Wagner may become No 3 of Team USA at season 2014/2015.

Gracie Gold will be very good if will be more stable and earn more personality (she was "not as others", but now looks as "standard US lady skater") .

Karen Chen? She may be very good at 2015/2016 (or 2016/2017), but may repeat way of Caroline Zhang.
    Nobody knows.

Medalist
    My 2014/2015 predictions for the US ladies:

Gracie stays #1. She medals at Worlds (3rd).
    Polina closes the gap on Gracie. She remains the #2 US lady; but by 2015/2016, she will be the #1 US lady.
    Ashley struggles to keep #3 - it will not surprise me if she goes sinks lower. I expect she will retire in the next year or so.

Custom Title
    I don't think there's anyone coming up in Juniors that will surprise a la Polina this year. I think some people may be surprised by Polina winning a GP and her pCS rising majorly even if there's no marked difference in her skating.

I think Ashley will actually have a fantastic season and a much better Nationals with the pressure of being US #1 and getting three spots no longer squarely on her. I don't think USFS will be all that quick to dump her either as she's shown she can bring in sponsors. What USFS really needs are personalities the public responds to and she is probably #1 there.

I think Gracie will have an up and down fall, lose her National title and then medal at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa_ire View Post
    Polina, I think if it is a correct way to reply to your question as she already has surprised us. I really look forward to watching her in the next season. She's got technical ability, musicality and composure and I like her balletic lines which God knows how does she manages that within this awkward frame of hers at the moment.

I really hope that Gracie would change her style next season. As of now: she is so nice, her programs are so nice, her outfits are so nice - what missing is personality, distinctive style, wow factor. I think her Sleeping Beauty lp was totally wrong for her, I actually made my mind about Gracie that she would never impress me and then I saw her in the Olympic Gala and thought wow this girl can be so different! Chicago or something similar could bring much more personality and the style really suits her.
    Sadly don't expect programs that show Gracie's personality with Frank coaching her. He and Lori will stick her with pretty princess music yet again instead of something that can both show off her personality and power.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast