State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 9 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

abc123

Rinkside
Is there a video of this scolding? I'm surprised he showed enough emotion for any of us to pick up on it :laugh:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
abc I think it's kiss and cry from the team event, if I'm not mistaken. There's also a good scolding of Christopher Bowman if you want to check that out. I can't remember the year or event. He can throw a lot of shade

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
And step on the gas pedal a little harder!!!!!!!! LMAO

I actually laughed out loud; good job. :agree:

Carroll must have gone into shock, then, at what the Olympic gold medalist did during her program at the Olympics. Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to remember Michelle, at least once, doing what Gracie did (or something very similar), that disturbed Carroll. Maybe it happened after she had left Carroll, though.

I read Dick Button's book and there's an excerpt where he talks about the inappropriateness of fist pumping after a performance because like someone else mentioned here, the performance is the entire time spent on the ice. It's as if they're breaking the illusion by celebrating. I somewhat agree with him though. Could you imagine Julia fist pumping like crazy (à la Evan Lysacek) after her Schindler's List program?

Which brings me to my next point, I wonder what Frank said to Evan after his Olympic performances. Or is it just that fist pumping is inappropriate for women because it's not ladylike? :sarcasm:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't mind the fist pump after a great performance. It put a smile on my face when Maria B fist-pumped after her LP the year she won worlds, knowing she had to skate very well to remain in first place.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Gracie should get a program that allows her to fist pump after, she doesn't seem like a princessy character at all, looks the part yes but she seems like a tougher girl on the inside. I like seeing genuine reactions when a skater has a good skate. If Frank's logic was applied to everything I guess unless someone skates a sad program they can't cry after having a good skate.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would prefer a fist pump that displays conviction as opposed to bewilderment and surprise which is how I took Gracie's facial expressions after she won US Nationals. Don't act like you're surprised you just skated so well but instead present yourself as if you expected to skate so well. It's one of the very few things about Gracie that I tend to nitpick at. YMMV on this and it drives me nuts when people say girls should smile more often so I can understand where someone may disagree :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I actually laughed out loud; good job. :agree:

I read Dick Button's book and there's an excerpt where he talks about the inappropriateness of fist pumping after a performance because like someone else mentioned here, the performance is the entire time spent on the ice. It's as if they're breaking the illusion by celebrating. I somewhat agree with him though. Could you imagine Julia fist pumping like crazy (à la Evan Lysacek) after her Schindler's List program?

Which brings me to my next point, I wonder what Frank said to Evan after his Olympic performances. Or is it just that fist pumping is inappropriate for women because it's not ladylike? :sarcasm:

I don't think it would suit her. It's a matter of personality, and I thought Gracie's expressed genuine emotion. Some people are naturally more reserved or restrained - and I'm fine with that also. I can't imagine Alissa, for example, skipping about fist-pumping - it just wouldn't be her style. :)

And I don't think Gracie will be getting a program in which fist-pumping would look natural. That is my main complaint really, and that's why I said I thought it was "symptomatic" - it just feels that they are going the "ice princess" route with her - and I just don't think that is something that really plays to Gracie's strengths, or won't utilise them to their full potential, if you will. I'm sure her programs will be adequately good, and I'm sure Gracie will do her best with them, and they may be good - but I think she is capable of better. Is all.

humbaba

Final Flight
Don't act like you're surprised you just skated so well but instead present yourself as if you expected to skate so well.

Good advice, IMHO. You can't discount the subliminal effects of demeanor on judges' perceptions. Although I do recall reading about a coach who took this to extremes, advising her skaters to act thrilled with their skates no matter how they performed. I can't imagine a skater going, " So I fell five times and my costume caught on fire; no problem, I'll fake-out the judges by celebrating like I just won the Powerball jackpot."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When an actor flubs lines or a dancer takes a bad step, does that mean they take a curtain call with a sour expression? NO! A performance is a PERFORMANCE, and therefore should be treated like one. I don't say a skater should act thrilled with a bad one, but it isn't good form to cry on ice or skate off with slumped shoulders and head down. Why extend a subpar performance past its end point? Smile and make the best of it---every bad performance is a learning experience.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I love it when skaters go ape after a good performance although it sort of depends. I liked it when Yagudin did it in SLC and when Tara did it in Nagano. But those were epic performances in the sense of a skater truly delivering the best they could when it counted most. During the skate I don't necessarily approve of it but if it feels like they just couldn't contain themselves and it's just a little slip I can't help but get into the moment with them - like Evan in Vancouver. Michelle did it best at 2004 nationals. You could see her celebrating at the end of her FS but she used it perfectly to make it part of the performance as only she could. And she waited until the very last pose for a little bit of a fist pump.:love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So far this season:

International scores (including ladies who are skating senior at the national level):

Polina Edmunds: 176.35 (U.S. International Classic)
Courtney Hicks: 174.14 (U.S. International Classic)
Hannah Miller: 170.26 (Lombardia Trophy)
Karen Chen: 160.95 (JGP Czech Skate)
Angela Wang: 160.25 (Lombardia Trophy)
Mirai Nagasu: 159.59 (U.S. International Classic)
Leah Keiser: 149.24 (JGP Ljubljana Cup)
Amber Glenn: 148.08 (JGP Courcheval)
Ashley Shin: 125.42 (U.S. International Classic)

I'll add FS and SP later.

UPCOMING THIS WEEKEND:
Nebelhorn Trophy: Gracie Gold and Mariah Bell
JGP Estonia: Amber Glenn

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
SP scores:
Polina Edmunds 63.27 (U.S. International Classic)
Karen Chen 60.68 (JGP Czech Skate)
Courtney Hicks 58.90 (U.S. International Classic)
Mirai Nagasu 55.96 (U.S. International Classic)
Angela Wang 54.88 (Lombardia Trophy)
Amber Glenn 54.71 (JGP Courcheval)
Hannah Miller 51.43 (Lombardia Trophy)
Ashley Shin 49.83 (U.S. International Classic)
Leah Keiser 47.66 (JGP Ljubljana Cup)

TES:
Polina Edmunds 35.31
Karen Chen 34.31
Courtney Hicks 31.70
Angela Wang 30.80
Amber Glenn 30.79
Mirai Nagasu 27.90
Hannah Miller 26.75
Leah Keiser 26.20
Ashley Shin 25.47

PCS
Polina Edmunds 27.96
Mirai Nagasu 27.56
Courtney Hicks 27.20
Karen Chen 26.37
Hannah Miller 25.68
Amber Glenn 24.92
Ashley Shin 24.36
Angela Wang 24.08
Leah Keiser 22.46

FS scores:
Hannah Miller 118.83
Courtney Hicks 115.24
Polina Edmunds 113.08
Angela Wang 105.37
Mirai Nagasu 104.03
Leah Keiser 101.58
Karen Chen 100.27
Amber Glenn 93.37
Ashley Shin 75.59

TES:
Hannah Miller 64.59
Courtney Hicks 60.44
Leah Keiser 55.70
Polina Edmunds 54.64
Angela Wang 52.21
Karen Chen 49.96
Mirai Nagasu 48.47
Amber Glenn 46.84
Ashley Shin 35.43

PCS

Polina Edmunds 59.44
Mirai Nagasu 56.56
Courtney Hicks 54.80
Hannah Miller 54.24
Angela Wang 54.16
Karen Chen 51.31
Amber Glenn 47.53
Leah Keiser 45.88
Ashley Shin 42.16

desertskates

Medalist
Thanks for the lists, Mrs. P! I'm excited for the Japan Open to see what Ashley's putting out there this year. Did the Olympics make her hungry for improvement, or give her a feeling that she can sit back, because she has that accomplishment crossed off the list? :popcorn:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm excited for the Japan Open to see what Ashley's putting out there this year. Did the Olympics make her hungry for improvement, or give her a feeling that she can sit back, because she has that accomplishment crossed off the list? :popcorn:

Whichever it is, we won't know based on her JO result.
Still early.

desertskates

Medalist
Japan Open is awfully early, but I think it'll give us an idea. I really hope the ups and downs of last year have made her hungry. Her long at last year's Worlds was spectacular. That's the Ashley I look forward to seeing more of.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
:yes: I want to see her programs but if they're not perfect yet that's ok. I want her to do her best when it matters most, like nationals and worlds

Barb

Record Breaker
Gracie is not looking good, I wonder if this is because is early and she is not ready, but almost all the other girls are looking better than her, I mean the russians, Mirai, Polina, Satoko. And her programs are not doing anything for her :no: