Ilya Averbukh discusses Worlds,break up of I/K, Lipnitskaya, etc etc | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilya Averbukh discusses Worlds,break up of I/K, Lipnitskaya, etc etc

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
She is genuinely a fan of Carolina, and for example she said "I knew I would be 3rd if I sakted clean".

Not exactly that. She gave an interview just after SP and sounded more like a fatalist than like a person ready to blame judges or to praise Mao and Caro: "I was sure that I will be the third. We with my mother noted that my hotel room has two "3", my start number is 30, my group is 6, my turn in the group is the third. So it was already decided above". Her exact quote on the final result is somewhat controversial: "did you see the difference in the scores? I had no chances to win the world championship over Asada in Japan even with the clean salkhov. The difference would still stay".

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Not exactly that. She gave an interview just after SP and sounded more like a fatalist than like a person ready to blame judges or to praise Mao and Caro: "I was sure that I will be the third. We with my mother noted that my hotel room has two "3", my start number is 30, my group is 6, my turn in the group is the third. So it was already decided above". Her exact quote on the final result is somewhat controversial: "did you see the difference in the scores? I had no chances to win the world championship over Asada in Japan even with the clean salkhov. The difference would still stay".

There's nothing about judging in this quote. She basically said that difference in the scores was bigger than base value of the clean triple salchow .

She just pointed that Asada skated very well and her marks were great, nothing more IMO.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Probably because he has no right to deny or confirm anything since he's not Ilinykh, not Katasalapov and not even their coach? :confused:

I just thought it was interesting that no one is actually denying the rumor. Or seem particularly surprised by it, to be honest. And I also liked that he said everyone was skating under the same conditions at Worlds. They were.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
**I probably should have posted a disclaimer that I used a translator app in order to share this story. Obviously some literal translation may be lost. To be honest most of my translations have been said to be quite accurate but I should have made a disclaimer.

I took Yulia's / Ilya's comments about not having much chance as a thing of respect for Mao and not implying Judging issues at all. I figured it was due to her score going into the FS, the crowds reaction after Mao's skate coupled with Mao's skill and chances of going clean at home were all enogh reason that even a landed Salchow would not have been enough. Honestly I think she thought she was off of the podium when she fell and she may have been referring to that too. She seemed genuinely surprised to be in second. She usually only critics herself so anything else would be out of character. You guys are making something out of nothing IMO.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I took Yulia's / Ilya's comments about not having much chance as a thing of respect for Mao and not implying Judging issues at all. I figured it was due to her score going into the FS, the crowds reaction after Mao's skate coupled with Mao's skill and chances of going clean at home were all enogh reason that even a landed Salchow would not have been enough.

And that's exectly what I had been trying to say :agree:
Not so sure about Ilya's statement though. I need to see russian version of the article first (I can't see it since VK is blocked at my working network), I think that his statement may have different context, despite the fact that he 'agrees' with Yulia.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You guys are making something out of nothing IMO.

I am the biggest fan of Julia. Yuna, Mao, Caro are nice to watch but for me that's it. For example, it would be lightyears from my decision to reg here and post if I did not see Julia (team Olympics for the first time btw and was "devastated"). Yulia brought emotions I could not imagine, brought excitement - now I plan to go to the next Russian nationals and even to bring my son to FS in a couple of years (he is 1.5 now). I was just referring to semantics: there's a clear difference between "to win the championship in Japan over Asada" - the emphasis is on Asada being good and "to win the championship over Asada in Japan" - the emphasis is arguable.

Alba

Record Breaker
Sorry but no one can say for certain anyone WOULD win an event in ice skating based on previous results.

It was not a previous result, that's what I'm trying to say. It's about the result they got in this championship.

Not exactly that. She gave an interview just after SP and sounded more like a fatalist than like a person ready to blame judges or to praise Mao and Caro: "I was sure that I will be the third. We with my mother noted that my hotel room has two "3", my start number is 30, my group is 6, my turn in the group is the third. So it was already decided above".

No I had no idea about this number thing. Interesting. :biggrin:

I took Yulia's / Ilya's comments about not having much chance as a thing of respect for Mao and not implying Judging issues at all. I figured it was due to her score going into the FS, the crowds reaction after Mao's skate coupled with Mao's skill and chances of going clean at home were all enogh reason that even a landed Salchow would not have been enough. Honestly I think she thought she was off of the podium when she fell and she may have been referring to that too. She seemed genuinely surprised to be in second. She usually only critics herself so anything else would be out of character. You guys are making something out of nothing IMO.

That's what I think too. But this sounds very different though or is it just me? English is not my first language so I might get it wrong.

Her exact quote on the final result is somewhat controversial: "did you see the difference in the scores? I had no chances to win the world championship over Asada in Japan even with the clean salkhov. The difference would still stay".

I think (I hope) the journalist did report an incorrect version of what Yulia, or Ilia meant, because he is bringing her into this by saying "I agree with Yulia".

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to say how far out of character it would be for Yulia to complain about judging being unfair. If that were her style then when asked about her flutz calls she could easily have said I think I'm doing a perfect lutz...but instead grunted and said oh the lutz!! She immediately followed up with saying judges should call everything and ALL skaters should not give the judges anything to criticize by presenting clean skating. She is her own worst critic and has never laid blame on judging. This was the same interview where her words were taken out of context when she said she doesn't think she's seen anyone do a clean lutz. Everyone went crazy and said she was referring to the whole figure skating community when in fact she was making a light hearted comment about the group she skates with during their mandatory lutz sessions at practice. I can't however comment on Ilya who is one of her coaches and probably largest proponents. I think I'll give him the benefit here since he said he agrees with her. I think both her and Ilya knew this was an uphill battle with Mao not only being better but it being her final skate. I think it's actually a show of respect contrary to some here!

Snow63

Record Breaker
I want to say how far out of character it would be for Yulia to complain about judging being unfair. If that were her style then when asked about her flutz calls she could easily have said I think I'm doing a perfect lutz...but instead grunted and said oh the lutz!! She immediately followed up with saying judges should call everything and ALL skaters should not give the judges anything to criticize by presenting clean skating. She is her own worst critic and has never laid blame on judging. This was the same interview where her words were taken out of context when she said she doesn't think she's seen anyone do a clean lutz. Everyone went crazy and said she was referring to the whole figure skating community when in fact she was making a light hearted comment about the group she skates with during their mandatory lutz sessions at practice. I can't however comment on Ilya who is one of her coaches and probably largest proponents. I think I'll give him the benefit here since he said he agrees with her. I think both her and Ilya knew this was an uphill battle with Mao not only being better but it being her final skate. I think it's actually a show of respect contrary to some here!

Yulia hasn't said ANYTHING about judging in Japan at all. Not even a word. So I don't know what's everyone talking about? She just said that even with clean free programm (clean salchow) she wouldn't have won there. That's all.

Ilya on the other hand clearly meant Mao-Japan-Judging 'situation'. I can say that for sure after reading russian article. He clearly has not understood what Yulia meant or is just agreeing with different interview (probably Eteri's one).

Alba

Record Breaker

If you're referring to me you're wrong. I fully agree with what you said, and that's why I wanted some clarifications about that phrase.
I think is the correct thing to do honestly, because it leaves room for misinterpretation and could spread out disinformation about her.

You should know how much I love her, as a skater and her pubblic persona.:love:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I intended it as a statement to all and no one in particular.:) I certainly know you are a fan:clap:

I am curious as to how accurate my translator is. I use it to communicate on VK with the few friends I have made there. I know context will always be an issue and literal translations get confused often. But I actually paid for the translator I'm using and would love to get a gauge from any Russian speakers as to its accuracy. Should I continue to translate articles and post them here or is it misleading? Thx.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I intended it as a statement to all and no one in particular.:) I certainly know you are a fan:clap:

I am curious as to how accurate my translator is. I use it to communicate on VK with the few friends I have made there. I know context will always be an issue and literal translations get confused often. But I actually paid for the translator I'm using and would love to get a gauge from any Russian speakers as to its accuracy. Should I continue to translate articles and post them here or is it misleading? Thx.

In general it's quite correct. It's weaknesses are: 1) occassionally bad word choices, like "decay of the pair" instead of "break up of the pair" 2) translations of the slang words one cannot translate literally like when he said "канитель" he meant "annoying situation", god knows what "rigmarole" is but I guess something else 3) translation of proverbs and sayings which are abundant. Saying "скрипя зубами" he meant "although they did not like it". I wonder if "gritting his teeth" means the same 4) nuances

Alba

Record Breaker

Good. :)

About the translation I have no idea. Many things didn't make much sense to me, but as I said english is not my first language so it could just be me. :laugh:
I just didn't like that phrase in particular, and you know how fast are some to jump on wrong conclusions. ;)

I think it's good to post them anyway. There so few translated from russian or other languages which are not english.
Russian speakers are most welcomed to correct them, when needed.

Snow63

Record Breaker

The translation is okay. It's correct in the most cases. Some phrases tho :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep seeing the word rentals and can't figure out what that is. In most context the word "effort" would substitute in nicely. Thx for the feed back. I think if I keep posting articles I'll start to learn Russian better and eventually clean up stories myself. Learning Russian is a goal of mine. :)

Snow63

Record Breaker
I keep seeing the word rentals and can't figure out what that is. In most context the word "effort" would substitute in nicely. Thx for the feed back. I think if I keep posting articles I'll start to learn Russian better and eventually clean up stories myself. Learning Russian is a goal of mine. :)
If you're meaning this:

- Do you think if Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitry Solovyov not withdrew from the competition, they would be able to compete for the prizes of the world championship?
- With a rental, which they showed at the Olympics, I think, yes. I note militant Katie and Dima. They are great lads. Despite the fact that they became Olympic champions in the team, they are very disappointed with the result shown in the individual tournament in Sochi. Still, figure skating - is primarily an individual sport. The main thing is that the guys have a desire to work, continue to train, perform, conquer new heights. And Alexander Zhulin help them to achieve these results.

That's easy. In this case 'rental' is translation of the russian word 'прокат' which means 'skate' or 'performance'. Ilya meant here that with such great skate/performance B/S had showed at the Olympics they could have been contenders for the medals in Japan.

Another example: "Это был выдающийся прокат". Translation: 'That was an outstanding skate/performance' (although I'm sure your translator will translate this 'That was an outstanding rental').

P.S. I hope you understood. I wish my english was better :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
The hypocrisy of decrying the rumors about I/K is rich considering, to my knowledge, not a single Russian skater or coach or federation member decried the pre-Olympics rumor in L'Equipe--which was planted by a conveniently anonymous Russian coach. I would be happy to be proved wrong, but I'm not holding my breath that I will be.

Same hypocrisy with decrying that Julia couldn't possibly win a gold medal in Japan against a Japanese skater. By that same logic, no non-Russian female skater had a chance in Sochi, did they? It really is poor, picked on Russia for Ilya.

And please, can we go past this fiction that if I/K hadn't stumbled on the twizzles in the SD they would have won? After all, they skated a near perfect SD at Euros and then lost in the LD with Elena's mistake. Nothing like hindsight to rewrite history.

More non-denials about an I/K breakup.

Well at least he sounds honest, though much of this is the standard party line, so to speak. Thank you for posting it.

Can you do the math on the ice dance competition please? I mean give me a break. They lost by one point losing over 5 in the sd from having no twizzles? No one disputes they aren't world champions because of the no twizzles in the sd. This is just bizarre and strange and totally divorced from reality.

Everyone denied the leqhipe article. Everyone did. Are you trying to say that it was true? What is your point?