Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Patrick Chan?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

What's next for Patrick Chan?

He is being discussed so little (if at all) on the boards these days? Has he retired or given any interviews about his Sochi experience?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    He won 2 Olympic silver medals. What ever happened to you?

Oh, I saw you edited it to add that last part. He has given a couple interviews. He's taking the 2014-2015 GP off, but might come back for Nationals.

Custom Title
    I really am just puzzled as to why he is being discussed so little these days. I guess you are from Canada, but no reason to get your panties in a bunch over my question.
    I am not a public figure, so no one except my family and friends are interested in what happened to me----and even they are not interested in most things that do happen to me. When Michelle didn't get her sought after gold there were pages of discussion about it, including the accusation of "choking".

Custom Title
    I really am just puzzled as to why he is being discussed so little these days. I guess you are from Canada, but no reason to get your panties in a bunch over my question.
    I am not a public figure, so no one except my family and friends are interested in what happened to me----and even they are not interested in most things that do happen to me. When Michelle didn't get her sought after gold there were pages of discussion about it, including the accusation of "choking".
    Initially you just had the title and a sarcastic Smilie, so I thought you were deliberately being rude.

And people who accuse Chan of choking... while yes, he caved to pressure, this whole accusation of choking is stupid... people who are pointing the finger at Kwan/Chan couldn't do even 1/10000000th the things they are capable of. Nobody accuses a high jumper of not being able to jump 2.5 metres on a certain day, or accuses a basketball player of not making all their free throws. These are athletes performing under pressure and they are prone to succumbing to it. None of us have ever been in positions even comparable to what an expected Olympic gold contender goes through mentally.

Custom Title
    Basketball players get called out a lot when they have a poor game. Ernie, Kenny and Shaq aren't even as nice about it as Scott Hamilton who will weep in your honor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Basketball players get called out a lot when they have a poor game. Ernie, Kenny and Shaq aren't even as nice about it as Scott Hamilton who will weep in your honor.
    They called out, but people move on. They don't dwell on it. I suppose those players get the luxury of an 82 game season. Yes, in pivotal games they have pivotal moments, but nobody expects them to be perfect in the way people expect figure skaters to be. You have 4 options as an athlete: thrive under pressure and succeed, cave under pressure and fail, thrive under pressure and it still isn't good enough, or cave under pressure but it's good enough.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    These are athletes performing under pressure and they are prone to succumbing to it. None of us have ever been in positions even comparable to what an expected Olympic gold contender goes through mentally.
    Well, in life it's not just athletes that have to perform under tremendous pressure. So choking isn't just an athletic thing. I have a doctorate and was at or near the top of my class everywhere I went. I'm no genius either. I had the ability to 'perform' when others who were much smarter and gifted than I would choke on exams. I'm still amazed at my grad school entrance exam compared to the really smart ones'. I'm kind of like the Sarah Hughes of academia, I maximized my potential while others way ahead of me fell short. So to respond to this quote, most of us are never going to be Olympic athletes but we do know the 'life pressure' to nail that LSAT or MCAT because our entire lives and futures depend on scoring well. It's a false argument to say that just because we aren't Olympic athletes we cannot recognize someone who choked at their task at hand. So I do take issue with your saying that none of us has ever been in a pressure position comparable to some silly skating competition. It is demeaning.

Custom Title
    I agree, but it seems that we're a lot harder on them in terms of raking them over the coals for failing to meet expectations. I mean, the guy still earned silver and cleared 275 points.

On the Ice
    to Canadian skaterguy.. Chan was fifth at Vancouver. He has 2 silver World medals and 3 Gold medals at worlds

Custom Title
    I hope Chan returns if that is what he truly wants. It will make the competition more exciting.

Custom Title
    http://t.sports.ca.msn.com/top-stori...future-unclear

Canadian figure skater Patrick Chan discusses his future last night on the George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight show. (Thank goodness for cut and paste for George's last name.)

He is being discussed so little (if at all) on the boards these days?
    If the question is what happened to the Internet fan wars pro and con, I think that we, like the skaters, just wore ourselves out.

Patrick did OK at Sochi. If he had won the gold medal with two superb skates his fans would have a right to cheer. If he had bombed, his detractors would be more vocal. If he had fallen twice and won anyway people would have a bee in their bonnets about that. (Hanyu gets a pass, but oh well. ) As it is, there is really not much to say except to wish him well wherever his future lies.

Custom Title
    I'm glad he isn't being discussed on this board these days - a little tired of bloodbaths.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If the question is what happened to the Internet fan wars pro and con, I think that we, like the skaters, just wore ourselves out.

Patrick did OK at Sochi. If he had won the gold medal with two superb skates his fans would have a right to cheer. If he had bombed, his detractors would be more vocal. If he had fallen twice and won anyway people would have a bee in their bonnets about that. (Hanyu gets a pass, but oh well. ) As it is, there is really not much to say except to wish him well wherever his future lies.
    If Patrick had gone clean, I doubt Hanyu would have a pass. They were both a mess, so what can be said about it?

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    If Patrick had gone clean, I doubt Hanyu would have a pass. They were both a mess, so what can be said about it?
    That's true. The whole men's competition left figure skating fans without much to remark on.

But going forward, it will be interesting to see how Hanyu's career progresses. Patrick invented a new way to win a skating contest. Clobber everyone with skating skills and transitions and the rest doesn't matter. Yuzuru has his own version. Jack the base value up so high that even if you miss a few jumps you are still way ahead. Kudos to both skaters that they were able to bring their own unique strategies to the table.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast