What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

noskates

Record Breaker
Have posted this before. I've never understood why the Chan hate. HE didn't judge himself. A panel of judges did. It's not like he stole his title from someone - it was given to him. And I might add that Hanyu fell twice? and still managed to win? Where's the hate being thrown at him? Patrick had made (what some would call) controversial remarks but so has Plushenko and others and they don't get nearly the vitriol that Patrick has. I still much prefer his smooth style of skating with clean edges and beautiful body positions to Hanyu's skinny self and sometimes unfinished movement. I think where Patrick went wrong - skating wise - was not having a bonified skating coach who would help in choosing a dramatic piece of music and have it choreographed to show Patrick's strength and skills. I do hope he comes back and comes back soon.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think where Patrick went wrong - skating wise - was not having a bonified skating coach who would help in choosing a dramatic piece of music and have it choreographed to show Patrick's strength and skills. I do hope he comes back and comes back soon.
He left Christy Krall. Was it because to reduce the fee for coaching?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan: Trying to win Olympics on the cheap.:biggrin:
So apparently Kathy Johnson's coaching fee is less expensive than Christy Krall? I mean this is weird! Canada Fed wants the first Olympic Gold for PChan, but refuse to pay the coaching fee for him? Or PChan thought he didn't need a skating coach anymore?:think:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Have posted this before. I've never understood why the Chan hate. HE didn't judge himself. A panel of judges did. It's not like he stole his title from someone - it was given to him. And I might add that Hanyu fell twice? and still managed to win? Where's the hate being thrown at him? Patrick had made (what some would call) controversial remarks but so has Plushenko and others and they don't get nearly the vitriol that Patrick has. I still much prefer his smooth style of skating with clean edges and beautiful body positions to Hanyu's skinny self and sometimes unfinished movement. I think where Patrick went wrong - skating wise - was not having a bonified skating coach who would help in choosing a dramatic piece of music and have it choreographed to show Patrick's strength and skills. I do hope he comes back and comes back soon.

1) A lot of Chan hate has to do with the fact that many people perceived Chan's comments regarding his controversial wins as arrogant, petty, and defensive.
2) Ugh, can people stop bringing up the point that Hanyu won twice and didn't get receive as much flak? Despite falling twice, Hanyu was still better than the next best. That wasn't the same case with Chan's Worlds performances.

annca

On the Ice
1) A lot of Chan hate has to do with the fact that many people perceived Chan's comments regarding his controversial wins as arrogant, petty, and defensive.
2) Ugh, can people stop bringing up the point that Hanyu won twice and didn't get receive as much flak? Despite falling twice, Hanyu was still better than the next best. That wasn't the same case with Chan's Worlds performances.

:agree:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I certainly don't condone Patrick comments and it debases him in my eyes (not that he's the only skater to make such comments). However in terms of regarding him as a skater in general and what he does on the ice, there's no denying that at his best he's one of the most magnificent skaters ever. And instead of trying to tear him down for some judging controversies, they should simply regard his talents on the ice. Although I suppose, as the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I certainly don't condone Patrick comments and it debases him in my eyes (not that he's the only skater to make such comments). However in terms of regarding him as a skater in general and what he does on the ice, there's no denying that at his best he's one of the most magnificent skaters ever. And instead of trying to tear him down for some judging controversies, they should simply regard his talents on the ice. Although I suppose, as the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

Well said :thumbsup:. He is an amazing skater despite all the hate he receives.

annca

On the Ice

well theres no denying that he's a great skater but maybe you(among others) should take your own advice into account and stop tearing down another skater's succes just to prove your point that chan is the best :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
well theres no denying that he's a great skater but maybe you(among others) should take your own advice into account and stop tearing down another skater's succes just to prove your point that chan is the best :)

I don't think Chan is the best, though. I think when he skates as well as he can (like TEB 2013), he's the best, but there are other skaters who I would consider better than him in a number of areas and for a number of reasons. But I certainly don't think he's unartistic or a mess as some would have him out to be. I also don't think it's a big deal that he missed Worlds either.

lbc2138

On the Ice
http://globalnews.ca/video/1298443/three-time-world-champion-patrick-chan

Saw this in the Fan Fest and this video totally answers the question for "what's next"

He doesn't mention anything about university but he is hoping to go for at least another 4 years of competitive skating and to possibly even win at Pyeongchang.

Now that he's put retirement rumors to rest, it's all about keeping up with the new crop of skaters that are going to come out in 4 years time.

I saw a couple of posts pertaining to this some pages back he has to get a technical coach to work on his jumps. Especially the triple axel, and maybe even incorporating other quads. Has he landed another type of quad in practice? Just curious.

^ Great interview! Patrick seems like he has found a sweet spot in his life going forward.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
He doesn't mention anything about university but he is hoping to go for at least another 4 years of competitive skating and to possibly even win at Pyeongchang.

Now that he's put retirement rumors to rest, it's all about keeping up with the new crop of skaters that are going to come out in 4 years time.

But I think Chan said in an interview on CBC last month that he would be skipping the Grand Prix Season, correct?

spiral12

Spectator
It's a long thread so apologies that I haven't managed to read all of them, but my two cents' worth : 1) I'd like to see Patrick Chan continue competing and also try for gold at Pyeongchang 2018. He has a great quality in his skating - if he doesn't make gold, that's fine. Many of the great and well loved skaters never got Olympic gold; some who did then disappeared without a trace.... Still, it would be super if he did get gold with good routines in 2018. 2) Yuzuru Hanyu skated such a wonderful short program at Sochi - one of the nicest skates I've enjoyed of all time. (Credit also to Buttle for the choreography which really suited the music and Yuzuru). Have to say I didn't like Yuzuru's free skate program! Patrick's would have been nice without the stumbles....but he did have a shaky short program too. 2014 could well go down as the year people won or lost places on the podium based on their short program (apart from the ladies' title at Sochi, but that's another thread...ha ha). 3) I think there are indeed skaters who handle pressure at the Olympics well (eg Shizuka Arakawa, Viktor Petrenko) and others who don't. I think some champions in various different sports have put it well - "you're always going to have a bad day or choke at some point- you just have to try to choke on another day/different competition and peak at the Olympics instead!"

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Exactly especialy when he constantly disrespects Plushenko who is FAR more accomplished and legendary a skater than Chan is, or likely ever will be (and who unlike Chan has no controversy attached to even one of his medals). He also tears down Plushenko for a few of his comments and so called attitude when he downplays the sigificance of Chan's bad attitude and poor sportsmanship in his general unpopularity. Hypocritical logic at its finest.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In this interview he mentions possibly coming back for the 2016 Worlds in Boston.

That sounds like a good plan for him IMO. Ideally I would like to see him come back for the 2015 fall grand prix, but that is up to him. I do think taking a year off is wise. As I said I dont think he will ultimately return, but if he does sometime in the 2015-2016 season is best. Coming back for the Olympic season only is too late. Coming back in 2016-2017 could work, but is more of a risk. Taking 2014-2015 off is wise for him if he plans on continuing though. He seems burnt out and tired at the moment.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And I might add that Hanyu fell twice? and still managed to win? Where's the hate being thrown at him?

Hanyu had 2 mistakes over 2 programs, while Chan had 5. It is little wonder there isnt any controversy over his win. BTW for Hanyu's triple flip to be called a fall and not Chan's 2nd quad or double axel doesnt make much sense anyway. His not getting any credit for the 2nd jump of a jump sequence he did since he might have barely put his foot down on the first jump and losing atleast 6 points over that is also silly. Thank goodness such silly technicalities did not cost him the gold in the end.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Exactly especialy when he constantly disrespects Plushenko who is FAR more accomplished and legendary a skater than Chan is, or likely ever will be (and who unlike Chan has no controversy attached to even one of his medals). He also tears down Plushenko for a few of his comments and so called attitude when he downplays the sigificance of Chan's bad attitude and poor sportsmanship in his general unpopularity. Hypocritical logic at its finest.

:laugh: Okay, keep drinking your own Kool-aid, buddy. :agree: