What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

treeloving

Medalist
I don't know but somehow it is hard for me to imagine him doing quad salchow :biggrin: Looking at his 4T he is using a lot of power there, so somehow I think salchow would be very hard for him specially with his body type, but ho knows. It is just my personal thinking :biggrin:

But I don't think having quad salchow anyway will change anything in his technical level of programme, because in my thinking other type of quad is allowing you to do diffrent construction of other jumps. Hanyu have second diffrent quad and can do all combinations in 2nd half ( 2x 3A combos ). Javier instead of that have 3 quads, with 1 in combination. I can't imagine Patrick doing 3 quads, I think his legs would be dead after this, seeing how he is running out of power from jump to jump trough programme.

I don't know but if Yuzuru who everybody said has a stamina problem can do two quad and two and axel in second half of program, Chan might be able to do 3 front load quad and an axel. Although I know it is a bit not real in practice to compare two different skater this way.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't know but if Yuzuru who everybody said has a stamina problem can do two quad and two and axel in second half of program, Chan might be able to do 3 front load quad and an axel. Although I know it is a bit not real in practice to compare two different skater this way.

But you need to look how Yuzuru is looking physically and how Patrick. Yuzuru is very thinny, light body, and Patrick is quite massive man :biggrin: And addition axel is very natural jump to Yuzuru so it is not exhausting it him so much. I don't know really, this is only my personal thoughts :biggrin: I can be wrong

Meoima

Match Penalty
But you need to look how Yuzuru is looking physically and how Chan. Yuzuru is very thinny, light body, and Patrick is quite massive man :biggrin: And addition axel is very natural jump to Yuzuru so it is not exhausting it him so much. I don't know really, this is only my personal thoughts :biggrin: I can be wrong
Javi has the same body type as PChan but he can land 3 quads, so I think it's not impossible for PChan. But it depends on him all the way, is he willing to do it?

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I think ice every where is the same, huh? Is there any special a out ice in Sochi?

Ice can vary considerably from rink to rink. Freezing ice is actually a very exact process. It can be hard, soft, brittle, springy, etc. It definitely can effect your skating because the edges and toe picks don't grab the ice the same way. The rink I used to skate at had soft springy ice and when I had to compete on hard hockey ice, I was losing edges and missing my toe pick all over the place. Elite skaters should have a pretty good ability to adjust but it probably does affect their confidence especially when the pressure is on. I skid a bit on my axel takeoff and find it's sensitive to ice conditions so I don't really know if it's any different for people who don't skid.

nimi

Medalist
Ice can vary considerably from rink to rink. Freezing ice is actually a very exact process. It can be hard, soft, brittle, springy, etc. It definitely can effect your skating because the edges and toe picks don't grab the ice the same way. The rink I used to skate at had soft springy ice and when I had the compete on hard hockey ice, I was losing edges and missing my toe pick all over the place. Elite skaters should have a pretty good ability to adjust but it probably does affect their confidence especially when the pressure is on.

So basically Olympic nerves + tricky jumps (quads/3As) + tricky ice (if that was the case in Sochi, where they had a short track event a couple of hours before men's free skate) could explain why the men's event in general was such a splatfest?

I still cringe when I think of that night, I guess I just need a rational explanation to get some kind of closure, heh. *sigh*
I'm not even a Chan fan, but I just felt awful towards the end of his performance.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So basically Olympic nerves + tricky jumps (quads/3As) + tricky ice (if that was the case in Sochi, where they had a short track event a couple of hours before men's free skate) could explain why the men's event in general was such a splatfest?

I still cringe when I think of that night, I guess I just need a rational explanation to get some kind of closure, heh. *sigh*
I'm not even a Chan fan, but I just felt awful towards the end of his performance.

If Sochi ice were that tricky, then how come Hanyu broke his own world record? I think it's their nerves that failed them mostly. I remember Hanyu and Pchan looked like they were about to faint in the warm up before the free skate. I bet they still have nightmares about that day.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Propably many factors played for this night :)

Nerves + bad event organization (day by day performances), top3 had conference as I remember to late hours after SP, then not too much sleep, then practices from morning, quadss in practice before SP, quads in SP, quads in practice before FS, and then again quads in free, for sure they was really tired, so for me many factors but propably most nerves :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Propably many factors played for this night :)

Nerves + bad event organization (day by day performances), top3 had conference as I remember to late hours, then not too much sleep, then practices from morning, qudas in practice before SP, quads in SP, quads in practice, and then again quads in free, for sure they was really tired, so for me many factors but propably most nerves :biggrin:
It's true that we have never seen our men as tedious as that day. So I agree with you. It's understandable that half of them performed badly because of their nerves. But to have all the men to underperform in the same day, it might be because of some other factors. Or it is Plushy who jinxed all the men? :slink:

nimi

Medalist
Nerves + bad event organization (day by day performances), top3 had conference as I remember to late hours after SP, then not too much sleep, then practices from morning, quadss in practice before SP, quads in SP, quads in practice before FS, and then again quads in free, for sure they was really tired, so for me many factors but propably most nerves :biggrin:

Oh yes, now I remember reading that after the SP the skaters had to wait around till late at night to hear who was gonna get doping tested, so probably everybody had too little sleep before the morning practice. Yeah, tiredness and nerves alone could explain a lot.

...or maybe the famous Canadian curse ha d side effects that affected almost everybody's performance. Either that or the Plush jinx. Sounds reasonable :biggrin:

Nadya

On the Ice
Julia's body hasnt even changed 6 months now. I think her haters who are praying for her to grow into this huge busty women, lose all her jumps, and retire, are in for a dissapointment. She will always be a fairly small women, like Sasha, and her body has already undergone alot of change, but none since this past season began which indicates the change has already happened.
And clearly, a six-month period is all we need to predict what will happen to a 15-year old body. I don't think you have any way of predicting what will happen to her body in future.

Sasha is hardly a role model when it comes to staying stable.

I'm not praying for her to grow into anything. I never pray. I am just pointing out that puberty is clearly a risk factor for a 15-year old.

I am not an ardent fan of Patrick's (because I continued to hold out hope for Daisuke, not because of anything I disliked about Chan), but I've always hoped that a Canadian man would win gold at last. So I understand the disappointment this time around, when Chan seemed to have it at his feet but then couldn't close the deal. Nonetheless, I feel very bad for him. May I ask the Canadians here, was there any vocal fan support of him afterward, or anything complimentary said in the media? I remember when Kurt fell in the 1994 short program, clearly giving up his last chance for gold, even though he skated such a beautiful long program (kind of like what Mao did this time around in Sochi). Afterward, fans donated gold jewelry to make him a special medal in the shape (iirc) of a maple leaf. Not that I expect this to be done for Patrick, because Kurt clearly was at a different level of universal popularity and undisputed achievement as a skater, but it shows an acknowledgment of his career despite the one great disappointment. The fans knew that he was a great skater even though he had never quite managed to demonstrate that at an Olympics, and he proved them right in his pro career by becoming an unparalleled blend of technique and breathtaking artistry.

Patrick has had many staunch admirers. I do hope that some of them at least reached out to him and reminded him that he has achieved great things in his career. Whether he continues or not, he's not just some local hero who never made it big out in the world. This should be remembered and praised.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am not an ardent fan of Patrick's (because I continued to hold out hope for Daisuke, not because of anything I disliked about Chan), but I've always hoped that a Canadian man would win gold at last. So I understand the disappointment this time around, when Chan seemed to have it at his feet but then couldn't close the deal. Nonetheless, I feel very bad for him. May I ask the Canadians here, was there any vocal fan support of him afterward, or anything complimentary said in the media? I remember when Kurt fell in the 1994 short program, clearly giving up his last chance for gold, even though he skated such a beautiful long program (kind of like what Mao did this time around in Sochi). Afterward, fans donated gold jewelry to make him a special medal in the shape (iirc) of a maple leaf. They knew that he was a great skater even though he had never quite managed to demonstrate that at an Olympics.

Patrick has had many staunch admirers. I do hope that some of them at least reached out to him and reminded him that he has achieved great things in his career. Whether he continues or not, he's not just some local hero who never made it big out in the world. This should be remembered and praised.
How touching for Kurt, I am sure the special medal his fans made means much more than the OGM. But that was in the time ice skating was still extremely popular wasn't it? For sure Patrick has lots of admirers, he has an official Instagram and from the interviews, it looks like he read some of the comments. Maybe some of them would reach out for him.

gottadance

On the Ice
I am not an ardent fan of Patrick's (because I continued to hold out hope for Daisuke, not because of anything I disliked about Chan), but I've always hoped that a Canadian man would win gold at last. So I understand the disappointment this time around, when Chan seemed to have it at his feet but then couldn't close the deal. Nonetheless, I feel very bad for him. May I ask the Canadians here, was there any vocal fan support of him afterward, or anything complimentary said in the media? I remember when Kurt fell in the 1994 short program, clearly giving up his last chance for gold, even though he skated such a beautiful long program (kind of like what Mao did this time around in Sochi). Afterward, fans donated gold jewelry to make him a special medal in the shape (iirc) of a maple leaf. Not that I expect this to be done for Patrick, because Kurt clearly was at a different level of universal popularity and undisputed achievement as a skater, but it shows an acknowledgment of his career despite the one great disappointment. The fans knew that he was a great skater even though he had never quite managed to demonstrate that at an Olympics, and he proved them right in his pro career by becoming an unparalleled blend of technique and breathtaking artistry.

very well said. I remember when Brian Orser didn't win the gold at the Calgary Olympics a journalist named Trent Frayne wrote a scathing article about him having choked etc.etc. and the Canadian public went NUTS! letters to the editor calling for everything from Trents resignation or firing to a public execution !! It was a truly amazing response in that it was from regular people not only from skating fans but it seemed everybody could see how hard he tried and the devastation he felt afterwards. Just thought I would share abit more of Canadian skating Olympic history/lore!

very well said. I remember when Brian Orser didn't win the gold at the Calgary Olympics a journalist named Trent Frayne wrote a scathing article about him having choked etc.etc. and the Canadian public went NUTS! letters to the editor calling for everything from Trents resignation or firing to a public execution !! It was a truly amazing response in that it was from regular people not only from skating fans but it seemed everybody could see how hard he tried and the devastation he felt afterwards. Just thought I would share abit more of Canadian skating Olympic history/lore!

Thanks! I'm so glad to hear that Brian was defended like that.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
:sarcasm:

He is being discussed so little (if at all) on the boards these days? Has he retired or given any interviews about his Sochi experience?

Patrick is touring with Stars on Ice (Canadian show) with Virtue and Moir and Kurt Browning. My husband and I are going to see Stars on Ice in May. Looking forward to seeing some of my favorite skaters and possibly new talent. It will be great. Patrick is rethinking his skating future as far as I know. He said in a recent interview that he still thinks about his Olympic free skate and has a hard time sleeping as he replays what happened over and over. I guess, Patrick can relate to Brian Orser, as Brian said it took him ten years to put the 88 Olympic battle of the Brians to rest. Of course, Brian Orser has helped produce two Olympic Gold medal champions, so he can feel good about that. Perhaps, Patrick will return for another Olympics. Who knows?

nimi

Medalist
He said in a recent interview that he still thinks about his Olympic free skate and has a hard time sleeping as he replays what happened over and over. I guess, Patrick can relate to Brian Orser, as Brian said it took him ten years to put the 88 Olympic battle of the Brians to rest.

That's understandable - you have to be very driven and be hard on yourself in order to reach the level Borser and Pchan did, so there's no way you could just shrug it off - but it's just so sad.

Brian did say he got more emotional giving Patrick a hug than he did congratulating his student because he's been there himself, he knows exactly what it feels like to lose OGM. Well, eventually he made peace with what happened, and Patrick will too (let's hope so).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You cant compare Orser to Chan. Orser shouldnt feel bad as he skated wonderfully and just lose to an on fire Boitano. It will be alot harder for Chan, as he threw away the gold after his main competitor who looked more likely than Chan to win after the short program handed him the gold on a silver platter. As Joannie Rochette put it, he took the platter instead. Boitano turned in one of the best mens performances of all time and left Orser only a sliver, and with two minor mistakes he could not fit in the sliver. So I dont see how the two and their feelings over it can be similar.