What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's more the expectations that Orser had and Chan had were similar - particularly Chan's having a way stronger track record going into Sochi. Chances are, under 6.0, Chan could have won, with his multiple minor errors being on par with Hanyu's 2 falls and then Chan being the better skater. Under 6.0, errors were the name of the game, and Orser made errors while his competitor went clean. There was also added pressure on Orser, leading after the SP. If anything Orser pulled a Hanyu by erring in his FS while in the lead, but Hanyu was lucky that Chan failed to capitalize whereas Boitano skated lights out.

Yeah, it might not even have been possible for a perfect Orser to have beaten Boitano that night. It was one of the rare moments where one of the top contenders at an Olympics had the skate of his life. (Usually the top ones hold back a bit, and it's some other skater with nothing to lose, like Elizabeth Manley or Midori Ito--in that same Games--who skates the most memorable program.) I remember that Boitano said that he felt really awkward about rejoicing too wholeheartedly on the podium because he didn't want to rub Orser's nose in it, a remark that shows what a sportsman and a gentleman Boitano is. Boitano also has recalled that on the ice, he felt as if angels were lifting him and placing him in the right landing position during the jumps. Talk about being in the zone!

Whatever happened to Chan (and indeed to Hanyu) on that LP day in Sochi, it was as if a bad moon had risen over the rink and jinxed the proceedings and just took the zone away from almost everyone. Painful for Chan, of course, but in a very different way from the anguish Orser surely felt getting the silver on home turf at Calgary.

OrdinaryDreamer

Rinkside
No matter what, that was a difficult skate for everyone in the men's competition. There were so many falls across the board. I'm sure Patrick Chan's happy with whatever he chooses to do, now, so, as fans, we have to accept that only the skater knows what's best for themselves. He'll probably return to skating, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking a gap year.

On a side note, some college newspaper said that he was going to be in college this fall, which probably has something to do with why we haven't heard much news from/about him. After all, he was smart enough to know whether he could handle skating and school simultaneously or not, so, now, he's exploring a whole new challenge.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
No matter what, that was a difficult skate for everyone in the men's competition. There were so many falls across the board. I'm sure Patrick Chan's happy with whatever he chooses to do, now, so, as fans, we have to accept that only the skater knows what's best for themselves. He'll probably return to skating, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking a gap year.

On a side note, some college newspaper said that he was going to be in college this fall, which probably has something to do with why we haven't heard much news from/about him. After all, he was smart enough to know whether he could handle skating and school simultaneously or not, so, now, he's exploring a whole new challenge.

Yepp he's entering UofT to study social sciences in the Fall, he already said he'll be skipping the Grand Prix circuit this year and that he'll probably go to Nationals.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yepp he's entering UofT to study social sciences in the Fall, he already said he'll be skipping the Grand Prix circuit this year and that he'll probably go to Nationals.

:agree:

Glad that he's got other plans and ambitions beyond skating! Michelle Kwan never got Olympic gold either but she's got a masters and is a public diplomacy envoy. I'll miss him but this is exciting for him to take his next steps. And given the pictures of him performing and hanging out with other skaters in shows, having a good time, he seems to have accepted his results and is moving on.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The man is simply processing it all and trying not to have a "mental break" in the process. The men's event was just the most uninspiring of all the events. It has to be a little heart-breaking for him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It is funny how CSG always posts right after me in any thread after any post I make. His obsession with me is sure something scary.

Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed. I mean, how could I resist responding to such affable charm and amiability! Your profound thought process rivals that of AllYouDoIsTalk, and the remarkable absence of bs in your posts makes you that much more irresistibly alluring. Your consistency in bashing Chan even when the thread isn't about him shows admirable resolution and fervor, and isn't just the douchey rantings of a bitter hater who has to deal with a skater he deplores winning all the time.

Plus I was thoroughly impressed with your 1 out of 6 correct predictions for this past season that I can't resist keeping an eye on all your posts, lest I miss another bold prediction of yours that I might as well resign myself to. :laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed. I mean, how could I resist responding to such affable charm and amiability! Your profound thought process rivals that of AllYouDoIsTalk, and the remarkable absence of bs in your posts makes you that much more irresistibly alluring. Your consistency in bashing Chan even when the thread isn't about him shows admirable resolution and fervor, and isn't just the douchey rantings of a bitter hater who has to deal with a skater he deplores winning all the time.

Plus I was thoroughly impressed with your 1 out of 6 correct predictions for this past season that I can't resist keeping an eye on all your posts, lest I miss another bold prediction of yours that I might as well resign myself to. :laugh:

SKG you generosity stuns me.....'alluring' wow what a compliment!

I miss Lets Talk on some nostalgic level though I think his alter ego SkyFly has taken up the reins.

Remember these personalities are what makes this board so interesting.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed.

The fact is after everytime I make a post one immediately follows from you whining and going beserk over whatever I just said (wow do you ever take a random skating board too seriously even for a no life nobody who practically lives on the forum). Why exactly you are obsessed with me is for you and your doctor to figure out, but it is clear you are.

I dont dislike Chan, I dislike bad judging which he is often a major part of. It is you who as always make yourself look like an idiot when for instance during the grand prix you state about 25 times I must be distraught about Chan winning both his grand prix events when I had not even said a word about either one. :laugh: I never have a problem when Chan skates well and wins events he deserves to win, just like any other skater. As for winning all the time, Chan hasnt won anything that mattered for over a year now, and might well never again. I guess it is you who will be become an increasingly bitter old germ than you already are. :biggrin: Especialy when someone who isnt even 20 is probably soon to surpass him soundly in career achievements (without even any of the controversy and asterisks tagged to Chans career with some of his ultra controversial victories and medals). Going on about your beloved Chan losing one program (not even a competition, but a program) a couple months later is the epitome of bitter, and guess who that is.

nimi

Medalist
Lots of talk about obsession. I see things are getting heated here! :popcorn:

Too bad Patrick's not a pretty blonde. Having Sky Fly join the conversation would be interesting.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The man is simply processing it all and trying not to have a "mental break" in the process. The men's event was just the most uninspiring of all the events. It has to be a little heart-breaking for him.

Indeed. It was awful. :eek:

Even Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton were visibly shaken. Hamilton in particular nearly broke down afterwards in the post-mortem with Bezic & Hammond.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I wonder if he got a bunch of his fellow competitors, said to them "we ALL sucked on Friday night", then had a good laugh and went out drinking with everyone a few days after the event ...

littlexflower

Rinkside
I wonder if he got a bunch of his fellow competitors, said to them "we ALL sucked on Friday night", then had a good laugh and went out drinking with everyone a few days after the event ...

Chan seems pretty close with Denis Ten and Javier. But sometimes he gives me an impression that something intense has been growing between him and Yuzuru off the ice (on the ice of course they are head to head rival of each other). I have never seen Chan and Yuzuru in a same casual, backstage photo. Whenever Yuzu's in, there is no Chan and vice versa. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Panpie

On the Ice
Chan seems pretty close with Denis Ten and Javier. But sometimes he gives me an impression that something intense has been growing between him and Yuzuru off the ice (on the ice of course they are head to head rival of each other). I have never seen Chan and Yuzuru in a same casual, backstage photo. Whenever Yuzu's in, there is no Chan and vice versa. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Patrick Chan with Daisuke and Yuzuru at the Worlds 2012 small medal ceremony (for the free skate):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlLoQgZFhI

Patrick with Daisuke and Yuzuru at the Worlds 2012 medal ceremony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBN82uP8OSo

I doubt that Patrick and Yuzuru are best friends or anything, but they seem friendly to each other in both the videos. Yuzuru also mentioned that Patrick was one of his favorite skaters at the small medals ceremony.

I am not at all a Patrick fan, especially considering some of the things he's said over the years, but he seems pretty nice to his rivals in the videos above.

emdee

Final Flight
I don't think there is anything negative between Hanyu and Chan.
Chan and Kozuka have been friends forever. They are of an age. I remember in a very early TEB where Kozu went off with Patrick to see Paris as chan spoke French and they came back and chatted late into the night. Even the body language at chan's first worlds when Kozu was on the podium was very warm.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Given that Hanyu is the first one eclipsing and beating Chan often, after years of being given a 5 fall cushion on the field, it is understandable there is tension. It would only be human, and I dont begrude Chan that.
I don't think there is anything like tension off-ice between them. Given that Hanyu is a playful kid and Chan is not as mean as people think he is. From all the interviews and interactions I have ever watched, they are decent to each other off ice. It's just you don't have to be everyone's friend. Simple as that. Anyways Hanyu is terrible at English so I don't expect these 2 have a decent talk. Sign language perhaps? Hanyu even has problem understanding his coach. :biggrin: