What's next for Patrick Chan? | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

Icey

Record Breaker
:sarcasm:

He is being discussed so little (if at all) on the boards these days? Has he retired or given any interviews about his Sochi experience?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:sarcasm:

He won 2 Olympic silver medals. What ever happened to you? :sarcasm:

Oh, I saw you edited it to add that last part. He has given a couple interviews. He's taking the 2014-2015 GP off, but might come back for Nationals.

Icey

Record Breaker
I really am just puzzled as to why he is being discussed so little these days. I guess you are from Canada, but no reason to get your panties in a bunch over my question.
I am not a public figure, so no one except my family and friends are interested in what happened to me----and even they are not interested in most things that do happen to me. When Michelle didn't get her sought after gold there were pages of discussion about it, including the accusation of "choking".

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really am just puzzled as to why he is being discussed so little these days. I guess you are from Canada, but no reason to get your panties in a bunch over my question.
I am not a public figure, so no one except my family and friends are interested in what happened to me----and even they are not interested in most things that do happen to me. When Michelle didn't get her sought after gold there were pages of discussion about it, including the accusation of "choking".

Initially you just had the title and a sarcastic Smilie, so I thought you were deliberately being rude.

And people who accuse Chan of choking... while yes, he caved to pressure, this whole accusation of choking is stupid... people who are pointing the finger at Kwan/Chan couldn't do even 1/10000000th the things they are capable of. Nobody accuses a high jumper of not being able to jump 2.5 metres on a certain day, or accuses a basketball player of not making all their free throws. These are athletes performing under pressure and they are prone to succumbing to it. None of us have ever been in positions even comparable to what an expected Olympic gold contender goes through mentally.

moviechick

On the Ice
Basketball players get called out a lot when they have a poor game. Ernie, Kenny and Shaq aren't even as nice about it as Scott Hamilton who will weep in your honor.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Basketball players get called out a lot when they have a poor game. Ernie, Kenny and Shaq aren't even as nice about it as Scott Hamilton who will weep in your honor.

They called out, but people move on. They don't dwell on it. I suppose those players get the luxury of an 82 game season. Yes, in pivotal games they have pivotal moments, but nobody expects them to be perfect in the way people expect figure skaters to be. You have 4 options as an athlete: thrive under pressure and succeed, cave under pressure and fail, thrive under pressure and it still isn't good enough, or cave under pressure but it's good enough.

Meoima

Match Penalty
He need time to rest and rearrange his thoughts, I hope he will be fine. He has been to Worlds 6 consecutive years already, let him have some break.:)

moviechick

On the Ice
Lol, fans definitely do not move on. People are still ragging on Manning for that horrible Super Bowl. It's the same in every sport.

Suzzie

Rinkside
Everything will be ok with Patrick. and he'll be back more stronger. He just took a break. He deserved it. it's a little post-Olympic depression. I think it's normal.
2 silver medals in OG - it's not tragedy. it's the reason to be proud of. some may say "he lost gold". Well, I believe he'll have a chance to win again, as he knows what he really wants, what he needs, and what to do

He is being discussed so little (if at all) on the boards these days?

If the question is what happened to the Internet fan wars pro and con, I think that we, like the skaters, just wore ourselves out.

Patrick did OK at Sochi. If he had won the gold medal with two superb skates his fans would have a right to cheer. If he had bombed, his detractors would be more vocal. If he had fallen twice and won anyway people would have a bee in their bonnets about that. (Hanyu gets a pass, but oh well. ;) ) As it is, there is really not much to say except to wish him well wherever his future lies.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm glad he isn't being discussed on this board these days - a little tired of bloodbaths.

louisa05

Final Flight
If the question is what happened to the Internet fan wars pro and con, I think that we, like the skaters, just wore ourselves out.

Patrick did OK at Sochi. If he had won the gold medal with two superb skates his fans would have a right to cheer. If he had bombed, his detractors would be more vocal. If he had fallen twice and won anyway people would have a bee in their bonnets about that. (Hanyu gets a pass, but oh well. ;) ) As it is, there is really not much to say except to wish him well wherever his future lies.

If Patrick had gone clean, I doubt Hanyu would have a pass. They were both a mess, so what can be said about it?

If Patrick had gone clean, I doubt Hanyu would have a pass. They were both a mess, so what can be said about it?

That's true. The whole men's competition left figure skating fans without much to remark on.

But going forward, it will be interesting to see how Hanyu's career progresses. Patrick invented a new way to win a skating contest. Clobber everyone with skating skills and transitions and the rest doesn't matter. Yuzuru has his own version. Jack the base value up so high that even if you miss a few jumps you are still way ahead. Kudos to both skaters that they were able to bring their own unique strategies to the table.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick will be doing shows before starting his studies at University of Toronto in the fall, something he has put off to prepare for the Olympics at which he won 2 Silver Medals. The education costs were too high for him in the US. He may be back for Worlds 2015.

His fans prefer to discuss and celebrate him at his fan thread in peace.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Actually I think their strategies are pretty similar.

Chan could afford to miss a jump or two if he rotated those quads and triple axels, which are big point getters even when not landed.
Land some of them cleanly with +GOE, and you get more of a cushion to afford a couple of mistakes.

PCS are also a cushion, of course.

Hanyu may be second only to Chan in skating skills and transitions these days.

So they both get help from both PCS (especially SS and TR) and from high base value. It just skews a little more toward the former for Chan and the latter for Hanyu.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition isn't going to be any easier at Worlds 2015. Hanyu skated a clean FS with both 4S and 4T at Worlds 2014, and will build on that.