What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

Meoima

Match Penalty
As you said also I doubt they even have much in common. Large age gap, totally different personalities, and not even much of a common tongue.
Agree, I would be surprised if these 2 suddenly go out and say: "We are best friend forever!":popcorn: So I don't think there is anything wrong with they not being friends. They still attend shows together and hug each other after competitions. They have never said bad things about each other. Isn't that GREAT already?:)

At least we don't have to see another rival tension like Yagudin-Plushy ever again. Ghastly, wasn't it? I think Hanyu-Chan tension is fair-play.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu even has problem understanding his coach. :biggrin:

I think this Hanyu's language problem is exaggerated. I think he is on stage when he understands what other says to him in English, it is just harder for him to translate into english words /full sentences what he want to say. I had the same problem at beginning because I learned english mostly from games ( lol :biggrin: )

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think this Hanyu's language problem is exaggerated. I think he is on stage when he understands what other says to him in English, it is just harder for him to translate into english words /full sentences what he want to say. I had the same problem at beginning because I learned english mostly from games ( lol :biggrin: )
I know because I have taught English to Japanese people before (my colleagues at work). They are very smart and diligent. They absorb what I say very well but when it comes to express their ideas, they became extremely shy and couldn't even mutter a word in English. :p I don't know why, they are very good when it comes to writing, though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Given that Hanyu is the first one eclipsing and beating Chan often, after years of being given a 5 fall cushion on the field, it is understandable there is tension. It would only be human, and I dont begrude Chan that.

Often? :laugh: Hanyu's beat him 3 times. Chan's beat him 6 times.

I guess if you count a skater beating Chan more than once in a season, then yes, he is the first to beat Chan "often". :laugh:

Esopian

Final Flight
On a friendlier note (from what I've read on this thread), I feel like Patrick should just do whatever he's doing.

He'll be touring on the 'Stars On Ice', then perhaps make a comeback or go pursue studies? Either would be okay, but don't we all want good competition? If he continues skating competitively, it would raise the level of skating of the season. Patrick should be happy with the two silver medals he received at Sochi and continue into the next season; leave the past for the past. With Takahashi's injury, I feel like Chan and Hanyu are the only skaters who'll score high points and be the hype of season.

So for now, I'm crossing my fingers ... Patrick isn't that old for the figure skating world.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think Patrick will be back. He said he doesn't want to do another Olympics and wants one more World title, but he'll realize even the latter is a tall order. It's not like he went out with an Olympic gold with the rest of the field trailing him technically and artistically. Hanyu beat him even with two falls (and the community generally accepting the result). During the early years post-Vancouver, Patrick was the only one with two somewhat consistent quads, hence why he was able to dominate even with mistakes. But now the rest of the field has caught up or outpaced him. Javi has two different quads, Hanyu has his triple axel combos that'll save him for errors, and Patrick has... a quad toe and a terribly wonky triple axel? I doubt he'll continue getting his inflated component scores either, now that the judges no longer think he's in a class of his own.

To be competitive, he'll need a different quad or a consistent triple axel. I don't think the latter's possible--if he hasn't fixed it until now, chances are it's never gonna get fixed. His chances don't look good unless the rest of the field spontaneously combust.

Not saying he can't win a medal, of course. I'm sure he'll be a shoe-in for bronze or silver. It's possible he could win Worlds again if Hanyu and Javi have a meltdown, but Patrick isn't known for being meltdown-proof himself so chances are it'll just a repetition of Sochi... I don't think he'll want to "risk" his reputation by coming back and winning anything less than gold.

Icey

Record Breaker
He might continue competition for awhile, but his decline has already started.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Haha, yes, Patrick's return could take some pressure off Nguyen (I'm Canadian and I don't get the hype for this guy... but then again I never quite got Patrick Chan either). But for Patrick himself, I hope he's aware gold will be difficult and that he's happy to just compete. To me, he never came across as someone who loved the competition itself, hence why I think his "return" will just be talk when he realizes he's no longer top dog.

What I really don't want is him coming back, splatting a bunch of times, and winning anyway. But it would be ironic if he came back, skated clean but with his less difficult programs, and won due to Hanyu and Fernandez splattering.

nimi

Medalist
But for Patrick himself, I hope he's aware gold will be difficult and that he's happy to just compete. To me, he never came across as someone who loved the competition itself
I am SURE he is aware of that difficulty. Agree with you on him not being in love with competing. Then again, neither was Sandhu - supremely talented but far more inconsistent than Chan - and he did a brief comeback in his early thirties, just for the sake of competing one last time (in Nationals) and ending his competitive career in a better frame of mind than he did when he first quit back in 2007. I don't expect Chan to pull a Sandhu, but I guess you never know who is gonna come back and for what reasons.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Chan needs to grab a hold of his titles earned with mistakes and RUN FOR THE HILLS. Quit. Adios. Retire. Save the world from exposure to his obnoxious, self-centered, self-entitled claptrap. Just do it. Retire.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Chan needs to grab a hold of his titles earned with mistakes and RUN FOR THE HILLS. Quit. Adios. Retire. Save the world from exposure to his obnoxious, self-centered, self-entitles claptrap. Just do it. Retire.

:thumbsup:

at least Chan's retirement will finally get him a bit of respect
from his fraud wins

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'd just like to say, while I dislike Patrick Chan for his constant splats and don't agree with the kind of judging he gave birth to, it's not like all his titles were bogus. I think he deserved 2012. Yeah, splat on the double axel was :bang: and the judges' scores were comically huge. And no idea how he got those "interpretation timing" scores when he was so off-beat he got a time deduction. But Takahashi--whose skating I love--had his own share of mistakes plus no second quad in his free skate. I find it more disturbing that the judges placed Takahashi below Hanyu in the free skate. That was probably the judges showing Takahashi the door by that point.

I agree 2013 was ridiculous. Ridiculous SP score and sloppy free skate. I find Denis Ten very boring but he was the better skater that night.

emdee

Final Flight
Chan needs to grab a hold of his titles earned with mistakes and RUN FOR THE HILLS. Quit. Adios. Retire. Save the world from exposure to his obnoxious, self-centered, self-entitles claptrap. Just do it. Retire.

And the same to you for your obnoxious claptrap!

Meoima

Match Penalty
But Takahashi--whose skating I love--had his own share of mistakes plus no second quad in his free skate. I find it more disturbing that the judges placed Takahashi below Hanyu in the free skate. That was probably the judges showing Takahashi the door by that point.
Personally I think the judges gave Dai a low PCS was partly because of his music choice. I mean the music of his long program was not classical like PChan or dramatically catchy like Hanyu. Frankly, I love Dai very much, and I think he would have won but the music of that program was kinda off my taste. I guess the judges thought so, too.

As for PChan, I think people are too harsh on him. Aside from not good with his mouth, he is a decent guy and an excellent skater. A clean PChan still has chances for lots of gold out there. The field is so much boring without a strong skater like him. I hope he will go back and be clean.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, Dai's PCS score in 2012 was pretty sad. I thought it was a beautiful skate that he sold the heck out of. Had no problems with the music and I don't think that should be a huge factor in judging unless it ruins the skate.

I don't hold much hope that Chan will return to skate clean. If he can't be clean during his prime, I doubt an aging Patrick will be any better. (Yeah, he's 23 and relatively injury-free, but that's already old in figure skating. Just check the ages of past OGMs.) This is probably why I don't want him to return. If the judges keep saving him, people will only hate him more (and it's not fair to other skaters); if they decide to discard him, then he's going to have trouble winning anything barring the rest of the field melting down.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah, Dai's PCS score in 2012 was pretty sad. I thought it was a beautiful skate that he sold the heck out of. Had no problems with the music and I don't think that should be a huge factor in judging unless it ruins the skate.
I don't hold much hope that Chan will return to skate clean. If he can't be clean during his prime, I doubt an aging Patrick will be any better. (Yeah, he's 23 and relatively injury-free, but that's already old in figure skating. Just check the ages of past OGMs.) This is probably why I don't want him to return. If the judges keep saving him, people will only hate him more (and it's not fair to other skaters); if they decide to discard him, then he's going to have trouble winning anything barring the rest of the field melting down.

If PChan skates clean, I think there would be no way the judge would ever give him PCS lower than 92, he might even get 95 if he skates beautifully.

I mean, once the judge give out the PCS barrier, they hardly ever take it back. Heck, even Machida and Javi get 90 PCS for their free skate (which I could never understand), there would be no way that PChan could be lower.

The problem is his mentality, I think. He should get a new coach, one that helps him with his jumps. And a more difficult program layout. He can do that, but does he want to, it's an entire different matter.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Of course he'll get monster PCS if he skates clean, even if he chooses borderline unlistenable music and skates it totally absent-minded. I just can't see him being able to skate clean consistently enough to take advantage of his competitors' mistakes.

The triple axel's going to continue being his nemesis. He got away with it when no one else was doing two quads, but now Hanyu's got two quads (though he falls on the salchow most of the time) and two triple axel combinations in the second half. Unless there's some rule change that limits how much backloading you can do (to stop Hanyu's "base score is so high I win even if I mess up" strategy), as well as greater punishment for falls (so Hanyu either stops doing the salchow or can lose to Patrick if he falls on it)... Even then, it hinges on Patrick skating clean.

Not sure if he can increase the difficulty of his skates. He was struggling with the free program as it was. He only has one kind of quad (though this is okay if Hanyu continues being inconsistent with the salchow), has the most inconsistent triple axel for a top skater since Lambiel, and was still doing double axels at the end of skates (and sometimes misses those). It would take a phenomenal amount of work, late in his athletic career, to increase difficulty. And since he's taking a break rather than getting to work right away, that doesn't seem to be what he wants to do.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, it might be harder for him since Hanyu is practicing 4 loop, even 4 axel... and so do other youngsters. Of course they are still inconsistent but at this rate, I think PChan should have a new quad before Hanyu perfect his 4S and 4 loop next season.
He'd better come back right away next season. Because if the skips a season, the judges might not give him a monstrous PCS anymore.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
LOL @ the haterade in this thread.

As much as haters want to whine that his wins were controversial, these same people are the ones who don't even consider him artistically on another level than most of the field. They just plain hate him.

Oh well. The records will always state that he has 3 World titles, no matter how controversial haters like to say it is. That will go with a slew of GPF wins, GP wins, Canadian titles, 2 Olympic silvers, and general recognition by the majority of the skating community as one of the best skaters ever. Any other opinion is pure haterade, and should immediately be discounted as trying to diminish an otherwise wonderful skater. He will always be known as a 3-time World Champion, and people won't even remember the circumstances of his 2013 win which should have arguably gone to Ten. Even if you take away his 2012 title, his 2011 title was one of the best skates of all time. Even haters of his this season after TEB finally succumbed to how great his skating was and actually admitted that he's in a league of his own (with Hanyu entering that league from the 2nd half of the season onwards).

Saying he should take his titles and run for the hills... really? Other than Hanyu, he was the dominant skater last season, and the dominant skater the 3 seasons prior to that. His overall level of skating was so superior to the field that he could afford to mistakes (mind you, his competitors did too), and he would still place well if not win. When he is at his best (TEB 2013), nobody can touch him, not even a clean Hanyu at this point (but perhaps next season and onwards). He has the World Record total score to show for that, and it wasn't on home ice so that is indisputably the best competition ever skated by a male skater under this season. Trying to trivialize his efforts, or how great an athlete he was, is an exercise in futility at best and absolute delusion at worst. :laugh: