Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 327

Thread: What's next for Patrick Chan?

  1. #181
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,982
    I think it's more the expectations that Orser had and Chan had were similar - particularly Chan's having a way stronger track record going into Sochi. Chances are, under 6.0, Chan could have won, with his multiple minor errors being on par with Hanyu's 2 falls and then Chan being the better skater. Under 6.0, errors were the name of the game, and Orser made errors while his competitor went clean. There was also added pressure on Orser, leading after the SP. If anything Orser pulled a Hanyu by erring in his FS while in the lead, but Hanyu was lucky that Chan failed to capitalize whereas Boitano skated lights out.

  2. #182
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Yeah, it might not even have been possible for a perfect Orser to have beaten Boitano that night. It was one of the rare moments where one of the top contenders at an Olympics had the skate of his life. (Usually the top ones hold back a bit, and it's some other skater with nothing to lose, like Elizabeth Manley or Midori Ito--in that same Games--who skates the most memorable program.) I remember that Boitano said that he felt really awkward about rejoicing too wholeheartedly on the podium because he didn't want to rub Orser's nose in it, a remark that shows what a sportsman and a gentleman Boitano is. Boitano also has recalled that on the ice, he felt as if angels were lifting him and placing him in the right landing position during the jumps. Talk about being in the zone!

    Whatever happened to Chan (and indeed to Hanyu) on that LP day in Sochi, it was as if a bad moon had risen over the rink and jinxed the proceedings and just took the zone away from almost everyone. Painful for Chan, of course, but in a very different way from the anguish Orser surely felt getting the silver on home turf at Calgary.

  3. #183
    Rinkside OrdinaryDreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Probably somewhere in la-la-land
    Posts
    21
    No matter what, that was a difficult skate for everyone in the men's competition. There were so many falls across the board. I'm sure Patrick Chan's happy with whatever he chooses to do, now, so, as fans, we have to accept that only the skater knows what's best for themselves. He'll probably return to skating, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking a gap year.

    On a side note, some college newspaper said that he was going to be in college this fall, which probably has something to do with why we haven't heard much news from/about him. After all, he was smart enough to know whether he could handle skating and school simultaneously or not, so, now, he's exploring a whole new challenge.

  4. #184
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryDreamer View Post
    No matter what, that was a difficult skate for everyone in the men's competition. There were so many falls across the board. I'm sure Patrick Chan's happy with whatever he chooses to do, now, so, as fans, we have to accept that only the skater knows what's best for themselves. He'll probably return to skating, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking a gap year.

    On a side note, some college newspaper said that he was going to be in college this fall, which probably has something to do with why we haven't heard much news from/about him. After all, he was smart enough to know whether he could handle skating and school simultaneously or not, so, now, he's exploring a whole new challenge.
    Yepp he's entering UofT to study social sciences in the Fall, he already said he'll be skipping the Grand Prix circuit this year and that he'll probably go to Nationals.

  5. #185
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Yepp he's entering UofT to study social sciences in the Fall, he already said he'll be skipping the Grand Prix circuit this year and that he'll probably go to Nationals.


    Glad that he's got other plans and ambitions beyond skating! Michelle Kwan never got Olympic gold either but she's got a masters and is a public diplomacy envoy. I'll miss him but this is exciting for him to take his next steps. And given the pictures of him performing and hanging out with other skaters in shows, having a good time, he seems to have accepted his results and is moving on.

  6. #186
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    849
    The man is simply processing it all and trying not to have a "mental break" in the process. The men's event was just the most uninspiring of all the events. It has to be a little heart-breaking for him.

  7. #187
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It is funny how CSG always posts right after me in any thread after any post I make. His obsession with me is sure something scary.
    How about your obsession, PTF? You know what I am referring to.

  8. #188
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It is funny how CSG always posts right after me in any thread after any post I make. His obsession with me is sure something scary.
    Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed. I mean, how could I resist responding to such affable charm and amiability! Your profound thought process rivals that of AllYouDoIsTalk, and the remarkable absence of bs in your posts makes you that much more irresistibly alluring. Your consistency in bashing Chan even when the thread isn't about him shows admirable resolution and fervor, and isn't just the douchey rantings of a bitter hater who has to deal with a skater he deplores winning all the time.

    Plus I was thoroughly impressed with your 1 out of 6 correct predictions for this past season that I can't resist keeping an eye on all your posts, lest I miss another bold prediction of yours that I might as well resign myself to.

  9. #189
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed. I mean, how could I resist responding to such affable charm and amiability! Your profound thought process rivals that of AllYouDoIsTalk, and the remarkable absence of bs in your posts makes you that much more irresistibly alluring. Your consistency in bashing Chan even when the thread isn't about him shows admirable resolution and fervor, and isn't just the douchey rantings of a bitter hater who has to deal with a skater he deplores winning all the time.

    Plus I was thoroughly impressed with your 1 out of 6 correct predictions for this past season that I can't resist keeping an eye on all your posts, lest I miss another bold prediction of yours that I might as well resign myself to.
    SKG you generosity stuns me.....'alluring' wow what a compliment!

    I miss Lets Talk on some nostalgic level though I think his alter ego SkyFly has taken up the reins.

    Remember these personalities are what makes this board so interesting.

  10. #190
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    How about your obsession, PTF? You know what I am referring to.
    Which one is that? The one that Patrick would fall 10 times and still win? He didnt fall the ten times or win AFAIR!

  11. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Omg, pangtongfan, you've got me all figured out -- I'm so obsessed.
    The fact is after everytime I make a post one immediately follows from you whining and going beserk over whatever I just said (wow do you ever take a random skating board too seriously even for a no life nobody who practically lives on the forum). Why exactly you are obsessed with me is for you and your doctor to figure out, but it is clear you are.

    I dont dislike Chan, I dislike bad judging which he is often a major part of. It is you who as always make yourself look like an idiot when for instance during the grand prix you state about 25 times I must be distraught about Chan winning both his grand prix events when I had not even said a word about either one. I never have a problem when Chan skates well and wins events he deserves to win, just like any other skater. As for winning all the time, Chan hasnt won anything that mattered for over a year now, and might well never again. I guess it is you who will be become an increasingly bitter old germ than you already are. Especialy when someone who isnt even 20 is probably soon to surpass him soundly in career achievements (without even any of the controversy and asterisks tagged to Chans career with some of his ultra controversial victories and medals). Going on about your beloved Chan losing one program (not even a competition, but a program) a couple months later is the epitome of bitter, and guess who that is.

  12. #192
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,901
    As for winning all the time, Chan hasnt won anything that mattered for over a year now,
    TEB 2013 does matter you know.

  13. #193
    tripping on the toe pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    186
    Lots of talk about obsession. I see things are getting heated here!

    Too bad Patrick's not a pretty blonde. Having Sky Fly join the conversation would be interesting.

  14. #194
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    Lots of talk about obsession. I see things are getting heated here!

    Too bad Patrick's not a pretty blonde. Having Sky Fly join the conversation would be interesting.
    you killed me

  15. #195
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    The man is simply processing it all and trying not to have a "mental break" in the process. The men's event was just the most uninspiring of all the events. It has to be a little heart-breaking for him.
    Indeed. It was awful.

    Even Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton were visibly shaken. Hamilton in particular nearly broke down afterwards in the post-mortem with Bezic & Hammond.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •