Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Patrick Chan?

Custom Title
    I wonder if he got a bunch of his fellow competitors, said to them "we ALL sucked on Friday night", then had a good laugh and went out drinking with everyone a few days after the event ...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    I wonder if he got a bunch of his fellow competitors, said to them "we ALL sucked on Friday night", then had a good laugh and went out drinking with everyone a few days after the event ...
    Chan seems pretty close with Denis Ten and Javier. But sometimes he gives me an impression that something intense has been growing between him and Yuzuru off the ice (on the ice of course they are head to head rival of each other). I have never seen Chan and Yuzuru in a same casual, backstage photo. Whenever Yuzu's in, there is no Chan and vice versa. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by littlexflower View Post
    Chan seems pretty close with Denis Ten and Javier. But sometimes he gives me an impression that something intense has been growing between him and Yuzuru off the ice (on the ice of course they are head to head rival of each other). I have never seen Chan and Yuzuru in a same casual, backstage photo. Whenever Yuzu's in, there is no Chan and vice versa. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.
    Patrick Chan with Daisuke and Yuzuru at the Worlds 2012 small medal ceremony (for the free skate):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlLoQgZFhI

Patrick with Daisuke and Yuzuru at the Worlds 2012 medal ceremony:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBN82uP8OSo

I doubt that Patrick and Yuzuru are best friends or anything, but they seem friendly to each other in both the videos. Yuzuru also mentioned that Patrick was one of his favorite skaters at the small medals ceremony.

I am not at all a Patrick fan, especially considering some of the things he's said over the years, but he seems pretty nice to his rivals in the videos above.

Custom Title
    I don't think there is anything negative between Hanyu and Chan.
    Chan and Kozuka have been friends forever. They are of an age. I remember in a very early TEB where Kozu went off with Patrick to see Paris as chan spoke French and they came back and chatted late into the night. Even the body language at chan's first worlds when Kozu was on the podium was very warm.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Given that Hanyu is the first one eclipsing and beating Chan often, after years of being given a 5 fall cushion on the field, it is understandable there is tension. It would only be human, and I dont begrude Chan that.
    I don't think there is anything like tension off-ice between them. Given that Hanyu is a playful kid and Chan is not as mean as people think he is. From all the interviews and interactions I have ever watched, they are decent to each other off ice. It's just you don't have to be everyone's friend. Simple as that. Anyways Hanyu is terrible at English so I don't expect these 2 have a decent talk. Sign language perhaps? Hanyu even has problem understanding his coach.

As you said also I doubt they even have much in common. Large age gap, totally different personalities, and not even much of a common tongue.
    Agree, I would be surprised if these 2 suddenly go out and say: "We are best friend forever!" So I don't think there is anything wrong with they not being friends. They still attend shows together and hug each other after competitions. They have never said bad things about each other. Isn't that GREAT already?

At least we don't have to see another rival tension like Yagudin-Plushy ever again. Ghastly, wasn't it? I think Hanyu-Chan tension is fair-play.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Hanyu even has problem understanding his coach.

I think this Hanyu's language problem is exaggerated. I think he is on stage when he understands what other says to him in English, it is just harder for him to translate into english words /full sentences what he want to say. I had the same problem at beginning because I learned english mostly from games ( lol )

Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I think this Hanyu's language problem is exaggerated. I think he is on stage when he understands what other says to him in English, it is just harder for him to translate into english words /full sentences what he want to say. I had the same problem at beginning because I learned english mostly from games ( lol )
    I know because I have taught English to Japanese people before (my colleagues at work). They are very smart and diligent. They absorb what I say very well but when it comes to express their ideas, they became extremely shy and couldn't even mutter a word in English. I don't know why, they are very good when it comes to writing, though.

Custom Title
    Given that Hanyu is the first one eclipsing and beating Chan often, after years of being given a 5 fall cushion on the field, it is understandable there is tension. It would only be human, and I dont begrude Chan that.
    Often? Hanyu's beat him 3 times. Chan's beat him 6 times.

I guess if you count a skater beating Chan more than once in a season, then yes, he is the first to beat Chan "often".

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    On a friendlier note (from what I've read on this thread), I feel like Patrick should just do whatever he's doing.

He'll be touring on the 'Stars On Ice', then perhaps make a comeback or go pursue studies? Either would be okay, but don't we all want good competition? If he continues skating competitively, it would raise the level of skating of the season. Patrick should be happy with the two silver medals he received at Sochi and continue into the next season; leave the past for the past. With Takahashi's injury, I feel like Chan and Hanyu are the only skaters who'll score high points and be the hype of season.

So for now, I'm crossing my fingers ... Patrick isn't that old for the figure skating world.

Custom Title
    I don't think Patrick will be back. He said he doesn't want to do another Olympics and wants one more World title, but he'll realize even the latter is a tall order. It's not like he went out with an Olympic gold with the rest of the field trailing him technically and artistically. Hanyu beat him even with two falls (and the community generally accepting the result). During the early years post-Vancouver, Patrick was the only one with two somewhat consistent quads, hence why he was able to dominate even with mistakes. But now the rest of the field has caught up or outpaced him. Javi has two different quads, Hanyu has his triple axel combos that'll save him for errors, and Patrick has... a quad toe and a terribly wonky triple axel? I doubt he'll continue getting his inflated component scores either, now that the judges no longer think he's in a class of his own.

To be competitive, he'll need a different quad or a consistent triple axel. I don't think the latter's possible--if he hasn't fixed it until now, chances are it's never gonna get fixed. His chances don't look good unless the rest of the field spontaneously combust.

Not saying he can't win a medal, of course. I'm sure he'll be a shoe-in for bronze or silver. It's possible he could win Worlds again if Hanyu and Javi have a meltdown, but Patrick isn't known for being meltdown-proof himself so chances are it'll just a repetition of Sochi... I don't think he'll want to "risk" his reputation by coming back and winning anything less than gold.

Custom Title
    He might continue competition for awhile, but his decline has already started.

Custom Title
    Haha, yes, Patrick's return could take some pressure off Nguyen (I'm Canadian and I don't get the hype for this guy... but then again I never quite got Patrick Chan either). But for Patrick himself, I hope he's aware gold will be difficult and that he's happy to just compete. To me, he never came across as someone who loved the competition itself, hence why I think his "return" will just be talk when he realizes he's no longer top dog.

What I really don't want is him coming back, splatting a bunch of times, and winning anyway. But it would be ironic if he came back, skated clean but with his less difficult programs, and won due to Hanyu and Fernandez splattering.

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    But for Patrick himself, I hope he's aware gold will be difficult and that he's happy to just compete. To me, he never came across as someone who loved the competition itself
    I am SURE he is aware of that difficulty. Agree with you on him not being in love with competing. Then again, neither was Sandhu - supremely talented but far more inconsistent than Chan - and he did a brief comeback in his early thirties, just for the sake of competing one last time (in Nationals) and ending his competitive career in a better frame of mind than he did when he first quit back in 2007. I don't expect Chan to pull a Sandhu, but I guess you never know who is gonna come back and for what reasons.

Banned
    Chan needs to grab a hold of his titles earned with mistakes and RUN FOR THE HILLS. Quit. Adios. Retire. Save the world from exposure to his obnoxious, self-centered, self-entitled claptrap. Just do it. Retire.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast