Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Patrick Chan?

Rinkside
    As I talked to the young talent, face to face, I realise that I can communicating with a very smart intelligent person, from a very supportive family. I actually went to his father's ancestral village in southern China (where Chan senior set sail, at age 5, for far away Canada) and got a reply from the village/township official to confirm Chan senior's identity and heritage record in that village. It is disappointing for Patrick that he did not have time to visit his father's ancestral village, and be received with all pomp and circumstance, by the folks at the village.But the officials did tell me, that they will receive Patrick and his family, with open arms, whenever they decide to visit them in the future. The former US ambassador to China, Mr. Lok, incidentally, comes from the same county that Chan senior came from, and Lok visit was much publicised and recorded in the Chinese media, when he visited his ancestral homeland 2 years ago.

Well, Canada is not short on men's World Champs, unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on the way you look at it, Patrick is just a continuation of the Canadian greats, starting in modern period, with Jackson, Browning, Orser, Stojko....... each of them getting 3 or 4 championships, in separate seasons. HIs status, is by no means unique. But in other parts of the world, he is or has been unique,adored and emulated constantly. I watched in interest as the Chinese up and coming men's single hopeful Yan, besides saying that Patrick was his hero, he actually introduced one of Patrick's heel clicking moves in his own Olympic program!

As to why Patrick hired Johnson, I was also surprised too, when learnt of that fact, but without going into family/private dormain, I can only surmise, that finances was the main reason, for Patrick's mom mentioned to me, that to nurture a skating talent, you need to spend millions, and that's not Japanese yen currency. She told me that when I expressed interest in lettng my 3 year old daughter start figure skating training, in local rinks. Without divulging any privacy, I can also remember that I was told that Patrick's learning period of the quad and its perfection, was done with great difficulty, lots of falls and tumbles, with the former female head coach in Colorado Springs working with him, after the Vancouver Olympics, and that according to the source, that Patrick's quad perfection also was done with input from the modern dance coach, Kathy Johnson, who introduced newer modern dance technique and muscle usage to Patrick's quad movements, and according to the source, convinced them that Kathy alone can replace all knowledgeable skating coaching staff.

But on hindsight, it was the same problem with lay non-skating outsiders, family members included, who judged and made vital and pivotal decisions, in lieu of expert professional opinion in the decision process. Well, Michelle Kwan, Kim Yuna were the predecessors of the Patrick experience, and Michelle never got an Olympic gold either, Yuna was lucky, she got one coaching under Orser, in Vancouver, but since returning home to her native childhood coaches, she was second the Russin Sonitkova in Sochii. They probably all believed that they were so great, they were unbeatable, and others would never catch up to them in time. But, of course, they were dead wrong!

Rinkside
    Did anyone notice that Patrick's jumps are different from other men skaters?
    Some knowledgeable person mentioned to me, after watching the Olympic videos, that Patrick's jumps are parabolic in track, after taking off.
    That to me, is definite proof of modern dance input, to Patrick's performances, for all dance movements, from classic ballet, to modern dance, employ the parabolic track after takeoff.
    That's very difficult to achieve, and full of pratfalls, if executed under sub-par physical conditions, even if slightly sub-par, and extremely energy consuming, compared to the standard straight takeoff techniques by other skaters.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the response, tung.

Quote Originally Posted by tung View Post
    My suggestion is that he go to university, register and study, alright! But their are long breaks in between, Christmas/new year, Skiing week, March break, long summer holidays (assuming he is not taking a co-op course, with no gaps in between, typical U of T university courses) which he can use for his skating activities. He can even get financial returns by coaching/performing/guest appearing, coaching for commercial operations, most probably outside of Canada (Canada has no commercial rinks, therefore no ISI system, this is also one of the reason why men's skating is better? than other countries, Japan excepted, for all skating is under and follow the higher ISU standard, instead of the diluted ISI program for the amateurs, in other countries).considering that the Canadian public is not amourous with Patrick right now, and believe that he choked in Sochii.
    Well....U of T doesn't have a skiing week or a March break, only a reading week in February with summer and winter breaks. Although it's possible to be a full-time student and skate at the same time, if Patrick wants to have a normal student experience at U of T, he'll probably want to do normal student things like take a semester abroad during the summer holidays or a trip with friends during reading week instead of skating all the time.

tripping on the toe pick
    Did anyone notice that Patrick's jumps are different from other men skaters?
    Some knowledgeable person mentioned to me, after watching the Olympic videos, that Patrick's jumps are parabolic in track, after taking off.
    That to me, is definite proof of modern dance input, to Patrick's performances, for all dance movements, from classic ballet, to modern dance, employ the parabolic track after takeoff.
    That's very difficult to achieve, and full of pratfalls, if executed under sub-par physical conditions, even if slightly sub-par, and extremely energy consuming, compared to the standard straight takeoff techniques by other skaters.
    Sounds intresting. It would be great if someone knowledgeable could explain this parabolic vs. "straight" takeoff thing in detail. Is it somehow also related to his "clean edge" axel take off vs. normal "skid" take off? (Sorry for returning to the same old 3a take off edge question once again...)

I, as another Canadian, but living overseas, cannot but remind you and other Patrick fans, that the most important item in all these discussions, whether the talent will continue skating or not, is not brought up at all. FINANCIAL ECONOMICS will be the decisive factor to whether the talent will compete or not. The last year has been tough, tougher than the former years, as the cost of maintaining coaching staff and technical input was always expensive. To the point that an expert skating coach was discarded, in return for a non-skating modern dance coach.
    I believe this is absurd!!! Canada is a rich country, I believe the state should help the preparations of athletes!Patrick is 3 times WCH champion and he has many other great titles...The financial economics can't be problem for him!!!!
    As did China and Russia ( in last some years Putin gave 90 billion rubles for the sport, I don't talk about construction of Sochi) My country isn't a rich, but the athletes receive many support from the government regardless of whether which party governs.

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I believe this is absurd!!! Canada is a rich country, I believe the state should help the preparations of athletes!Patrick is 3 times WCH champion and he has many other great titles...The financial economics can't be problem for him!!!!
    This!!! I don't think PChan has problem with money. It's just whether or not he wants to continue, if so, when will he be ready to come back. That is my concern, cause he's still young, he can even go to the next Olympic.

Custom Title
    ^ Judging from this video (Patrick Chan: Story of the Silver Medalist Sochi 2014) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qY8svdEMdg (starting 16:55), there are financial considerations involved too. Patrick had to hold annual fundraising dinners in the Chinese Canadian community to help defray expenses for his skating which were basically borne by Patrick's family (read his parents). His father said that $160,000/year is a low estimate for the expenses for coaches, fees, etc. And of course as Kurt Borwning pointed out, figure skating now in Canada is not as financially rewarding as it was in Kurt's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    ^ Judging from this video (Patrick Chan: Story of the Silver Medalist Sochi 2014) http://www.youtube.com/watch?vqY8svdEMdg=- (starting 17:06), there are financial considerations involved too. Patrick has to hold annual fundraising dinners in the Chinese Canadian community to help defray expenses for his skating which are basically borne by Patrick's family (read his parents). His father said that $160,000/year is a low estimate for the expenses for coaches, fees, etc. And of course as Kurt Borwning pointed out, figure skating now in Canada is not as financially rewarding as it was in Kurt's time.
    your link doesn't work...

Custom Title
    Sorry, realized you clicked the link before I edited it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qY8svdEMdg

If it still doesn't work, you can search for it in Youtube. The uploader is Yuzufan and the title of the video is "Patrick Chan - Story of the silver Olympic medalist 2014 SOCHI."

Custom Title
    As did China and Russia ( in last some years Putin gave 90 billion rubles for the sport, I don't talk about construction of Sochi) My country isn't a rich, but the athletes receive many support from the government regardless of whether which party governs.
    Unfortunately, skating isn't as revered in Canada as professional sports. In Russia and Japan, of course, it is much more hugely popular.

Actually sport in general in Canada doesn't have a considerable focus compared to countries like Russia and China. I mean, we invest in it, but not nearly to the same degree, and you'll find less diehard sports fans who appreciate sports outside of the big 4 major league sports (basketball, football, baseball, hockey). I was actually pretty impressed with our medal haul in Sochi, as there is sometimes a tendency for a host nation to do poorly at the subsequent Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    Sorry, realized you clicked the link before I edited it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qY8svdEMdg

If it still doesn't work, you can search for it in Youtube. The uploader is Yuzufan and the title of the video is "Patrick Chan - Story of the silver Olympic medalist 2014 SOCHI."
    Thank you! It was very interesting I hope Patrick can compete if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Unfortunately, skating isn't as revered in Canada as professional sports. In Russia and Japan, of course, it is much more hugely popular.

Actually sport in general in Canada doesn't have a considerable focus compared to countries like Russia and China. I mean, we invest in it, but not nearly to the same degree, and you'll find less diehard sports fans who appreciate sports outside of the big 4 major league sports (basketball, football, baseball, hockey). I was actually pretty impressed with our medal haul in Sochi, as there is sometimes a tendency for a host nation to do poorly at the subsequent Olympics.
    I understand and don't understand. If Patrick wins his victory brings glory for Canada. So I think the current government should support all elite athletes .. if not everyone, but a high-level athlete like Patrick definitely. The preparation, the best coaches, choreographers are very expensive, competition at a high level more expensive. Not every families are able to finance the costs. Go Patrick!

I understand and don't understand. If Patrick wins his victory brings glory for Canada. So I think the current government should support all elite athletes .. if not everyone, but a high-level athlete like Patrick definitely. The preparation, the best coaches, choreographers are very expensive, competition at a high level more expensive. Not every families are able to finance the costs. Go Patrick!
    If I remember correctly, JFS has covered all expenses for Yuzuru in his 2 year training in Canada (using a scholarship from a institution I don't remember the name). In return, now he is attending all the ice shows for JFS's sponsors (which means, quite a lot, full time this summer).

Some sources in Japan said, JFS took 20% to 50% of Mao's income (some even said it's 90% but I don't think it's that high). I assume Japan's skaters don't have to pay up to $160,000/year for all the expenses but in return, lots of ice shows. I mean, looks at the schedule of Japan team this summer, I feel so worried about their health. I mean, I hope they will not exhaust themselves before the new season start.

I don't know what happens in Canada, the federation doesn't do much to cover at least half of all the expenses for PChan? I mean, he is an elite skaters and he has brought so many wins back for Canada. It's obvious they have to help him some or other ways.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I assume Japan's skaters don't have to pay up to $160,000/year for all the expenses but in return, lots of ice shows.
    Oh honey, the cost of choreography alone is already around 1/3 of the amount you mentioned already. The summer camp for kids in middle or lower level in the US cost around USD30,000 for 2 months(including living expenses and airfare-for Asian kids in this case). The elite level requires more services than the summer camp offer too. The total amount of yearly expenses in FS is horrendous.

You also don't need to worry about his health too much. Doing the shows is much more laidback than full-time training. A lot of rest in between the shows too. I know a lot of elite skaters who train more hours during the low season. Yuzuru is one of the hard working skaters. He might be in the safer situation with all these touring.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Oh honey, the cost of choreography alone is already around 1/3 of the amount you mentioned already. The summer camp for kids in middle or lower level in the US cost around USD30,000 for 2 months(including living expenses and airfare-for Asian kids in this case). The elite level requires more services than the summer camp offer too. The total amount of yearly expenses in FS is horrendous.
    Yes, I mean JFS is paying all that expenses for Yuzuru (or at least half of it) so I suppose Canada Fed at least could do something for PChan? I mean, they must have helped PChan at some level, mustn't they? They couldn't let the athletes cover all the expenses, not to mention that athlete is the top one who has brought home 3 world titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Yes, I mean JFS is paying all that expenses for Yuzuru (or at least half of it) so I suppose Canada Fed at least could do something for PChan? I mean, they must have helped PChan at some level, mustn't they? They couldn't let the athletes cover all the expenses, not to mention that athlete is the top one who has brought home 3 world titles.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast