What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
Patrick will be doing shows before starting his studies at University of Toronto in the fall, something he has put off to prepare for the Olympics at which he won 2 Silver Medals. The education costs were too high for him in the US. He may be back for Worlds 2015.

His fans prefer to discuss and celebrate him at his fan thread in peace.

I guess you have a typo, he is going to U of Toronto in Canada, not the US.

But isn't that what was posted?

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I hope he'll come back next season and we're going to have a great Patrick-Yuzu rivalry.

lbc2138

On the Ice
That's true. The whole men's competition left figure skating fans without much to remark on.

But going forward, it will be interesting to see how Hanyu's career progresses. Patrick invented a new way to win a skating contest. Clobber everyone with skating skills and transitions and the rest doesn't matter. Yuzuru has his own version. Jack the base value up so high that even if you miss a few jumps you are still way ahead. Kudos to both skaters that they were able to bring their own unique strategies to the table.

I mean, the points system is really to their advantage. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but since this system pushes progress over safety, both were able to go about strategically placing jumps in their programs that would boost their base values. Patrick, when cleanly skated, can earn monstrous PCS in addition to his technical score. But when the nerves get the better of him like they did at the Olympics, even PCS can't save him. Yuzu on the other hand, while he struggles to get through his FP, he collects GOEs on most of his jumps and his PCS have been quite high this past season. It's pretty clear here that the technical score is going to determine the winner since most people are a little miffed when the skater wins by just the PCS if they were tied on technical elements.

And something about Patrick not wanting to stretch himself thinly...soo does that mean he's not skating at all in the fall if he's enrolling at University of Toronto? Can anyone care to enlighten me if there's an online degree program or something that would enable him to skate at the same time of his enrollment?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think he is done. NO GP events is not a good sign unless he reuses his programs.

Chan could win GP events with one leg strapped behind his back. He's certainly not avoiding the GP season because he won't win. And I don't think there's anything wrong with reusing his programs. Hanyu's skated R&J for how long? And reused Parissien Walkways for this past season too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jack the base value up so high that even if you miss a few jumps you are still way ahead. Kudos to both skaters that they were able to bring their own unique strategies to the table.

This has also been Chan's strategy for years, with not many men attempting two quads, and him getting on the 3Z-3S series train before most others. Chan's consistency with his quad has led to many victories, the same way Hanyu's consistency with his 3A will always ensure that he's one of the top contenders even if his quads happen to fail him.

spikydurian

Medalist
And something about Patrick not wanting to stretch himself thinly...soo does that mean he's not skating at all in the fall if he's enrolling at University of Toronto? Can anyone care to enlighten me if there's an online degree program or something that would enable him to skate at the same time of his enrollment?

I guess he wants to experience campus life and make friends outside the skating circle. Not all universities offer online courses.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I guess he wants to experience campus life and make friends outside the skating circle. Not all universities offer online courses.

I know they don't, I attend college in the US so I'm unfamiliar if there's more leeway at schools in other countries. For example, I know Yuzuru is currently enrolled at Waseda University because they offer online courses that allows him to skate competitively while slowly working on his degree.

But I can see why Patrick would want the whole experience that comes with college, although he would be older than some of his classmates though. I'll support whatever makes him happy and hopes the experience will be valuable in terms of life outside of skating.

kresslia

Medalist
He hasn't made a decision yet. He said he'll decide if he's coming back when Nationals come around.

imo, he'll come back.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Chan could win GP events with one leg strapped behind his back. He's certainly not avoiding the GP season because he won't win. And I don't think there's anything wrong with reusing his programs. Hanyu's skated R&J for how long? And reused Parissien Walkways for this past season too.

Yuzuru actually had two different R &J long programs and he has used each for one season only. The first was set to music by Craig Armstrong and was performed by him in his 2011-2012 breakthrough season, while the second set to music by Nino Rota was his LP this Olympic season.

Anyway I agree with you that reusing programs (especially the kind of programs that Patrick has) is not a bad thing at all.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think he is done. NO GP events is not a good sign unless he reuses his programs.

That may be true.

Lots of skaters who claim they will return to competition after taking a break often don't end up doing so. Particularly in single skating it is difficult to go on hiatus and then return to where you were before, even if you were a World Champion or Olympic medalist. The technical level advances so fast in your absence. If Chan really does want to win another World title, he will need the experience of competing against the other guys. It's very hard to show up cold at a Worlds at the end of a season if you haven't competed internationally.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Chan wants the whole college experience I think he will find that it is extremely difficult to balance school with competitive skating. Paul Wylie wasn't successful while he was going to Harvard. It was only after he graduated that he won his Olympic silver medal.

I tend to agree with those who say he won't be back.

Esopian

Final Flight
I hope he'll come back next season and we're going to have a great Patrick-Yuzu rivalry.

Yeah, as much as I feel he can possibly retire, I want him to continue competing because it adds major hype to competitions when both him and Hanyu attend.

For Worlds, Machida was only temporary and in the long run, Patrick is Yuzu's true rival. Yuzu needs a good competitor and Patrick's coincidentally the perfect match. :laugh:

Has Patrick made any public comments about what interests he wants to pursue post-skating? For some reason I have in the back of my mind the idea that he has thought about studying finance and investment banking. Or art.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Patrick will be back. I believe in his love for figure skating. Now I hope he has a good time of his life, enjoy some rest and college life. :yay:

zamboni step

Final Flight
lol really? i feel like figure skating is slowly killing him inside

He's probably just hurt the judges aren't willing to kiss his boo-boos better anymore. Seriously speaking it's probably a wise decision to take some time off and stop the momentum Hanyu is gaining on him if he wants to win Olympic gold in 2018. He also might want to work on his jumps with a proper technical coach during this off time...