What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

Panpie

On the Ice
How do you know that. Remember he didnt compete at worlds this year so would have to face a top 3 seed at any event. Hanyu and Fernandez are obviously very capable of beating him. Hanyu would be favored to for the time being anyway in fact. Machida is less certain, but based on his skating at worlds he would have some chance of beating inconsistent Chan in a head to head too.

Of course he could win grand prixs but it wouldnt be the cakewalk you portray now that he no longer would be a top seed.

Excellent points.

I'll add that I'm not a Chan fan at all, but I think the reaction to his free skate at this year's Olympics was far too harsh. I don't recall Chan falling on his face, but even if he did, pretty much everyone who was in medal contention had a bad to mediocre night. I try not to joke about skaters having bad performances, however, and I don't understand all the snide comments about the event.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Excellent points.

I'll add that I'm not a Chan fan at all, but I think the reaction to his free skate at this year's Olympics was far too harsh. I don't recall Chan falling on his face, but even if he did, pretty much everyone who was in medal contention had a bad to mediocre night. I try not to joke about skaters having bad performances, however, and I don't understand all the snide comments about the event.

Agree with pangtongfan and Panpie

I think Sochi was poorly organized in that the men only had one night in between their skates. I mean Worlds was a much better performance from both women and men's singles because they spaced out the event nicely (of course it leaves room to get injured in the day between).

I think that extra night would have made all the difference for all of the skaters at Sochi considering how relatively poorly everyone did. Denis was amazing but overall even before the final group it was just a splatfest. People were especially cruel as to why they didn't understand why Yuzu and Chan even placed and how anti-climatic everything was, but then again they probably don't know how the system works since to the amateur viewer, a clean performance is better than a flawed but harder program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Excellent points.

I don't understand it either. Especially when the winner fell twice, and Chan hadn't fallen once (in Sochi, or all season).

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's because the winner fell twice and Chan still couldn't take the gold in those circumstances.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's because the winner fell twice and Chan still couldn't take the gold in those circumstances.

It's figure skating. Sometimes everyone has an off day and the one who wins is the one with an SP lead or the highest technical BV so that they can afford a major mistake(s). It's how Chan still managed to win before, and it's how Hanyu is winning now - although it was nice to see him go essentially clean in his Worlds FS, even if it was a struggle.

lbc2138

On the Ice
It's figure skating. Sometimes everyone has an off day and the one who wins is the one with an SP lead or the highest technical BV so that they can afford a major mistake(s). It's how Chan still managed to win before, and it's how Hanyu is winning now - although it was nice to see him go essentially clean in his Worlds FS, even if it was a struggle.

*shudders* but those little mistakes during Sochi FP (2Axel???) was what made Yuzu's win so weird ...

I also listened to radio interview of Patrick saying that some people came up to him and disagreed with the judges score of his FP...

As much as I like Patrick's skating, I think some soul-searching is needed when looking at the scores. It sounded like as if he agreed with "those people." Does he really think the judges were going to give him the gold despite the mistakes that he made in both programs?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Well, there's a picture on Caro's Facebook page with him, Jeff Buttle, P/T, Sinead Kerr and a few others announcing she was going to do a number of shows in Japan. By inference, Chan is going to perform too? Otherwise, he's likely relaxing and digesting the last four years. Plus, there's the Stars on Ice tour in Canada in May. If he wants to keep a low profile now, great, up to him, he's earned his rest. Let's not ask whatever "happened" to him as if he were a former child star who vanished from public view for 25 years, it's only been six weeks since Sochi!

lbc2138

On the Ice
Let's not ask whatever "happened" to him as if he were a former child star who vanished from public view for 25 years, it's only been six weeks since Sochi!

I think the thread is definitely oddly named but I didn't feel like the comments would belong in the regular Fan Fests for Patrick.

It should be like "what's going to happen to Patrick Chan"

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think the thread is definitely oddly named but I didn't feel like the comments would belong in the regular Fan Fests for Patrick.

It should be like "what's going to happen to Patrick Chan"

Good point.

Chan's father is a highly respected lawyer in Canada. Maybe P Chiddy and Tessa Virtue will go to law school. She did say she wants to write the exams in "Tessa & Scott"!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
*shudders* but those little mistakes during Sochi FP (2Axel???) was what made Yuzu's win so weird ...

I also listened to radio interview of Patrick saying that some people came up to him and disagreed with the judges score of his FP...

As much as I like Patrick's skating, I think some soul-searching is needed when looking at the scores. It sounded like as if he agreed with "those people." Does he really think the judges were going to give him the gold despite the mistakes that he made in both programs?

I listened that too. I don't really know what to say about that :laugh: I think he is just a type of person that can't come to terms with losing.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Chan should stick to school or whatever he plans now off the ice
that is where he should stay now and where he belongs

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Like Hanyu, I don't think Chan would have enjoyed being given the gold for that free program. Same with Worlds last year... he wasn't pleased even though he had the win and he looked to redeem himself, which IMO he did at SC and TEB and the GPF. Unfortunately, he just couldn't hold it together in Sochi. Chan does have an issue with easy errors that give up points later on. It's ridiculous that him and Plushenko are two of the strongest jumpers, and they have occasional issues with the easiest jumps. Although that's across the board - Hanyu nailed a 4T, but fell on a 3F; Gold at Worlds land 3Z-3T but messed up both 2A attempts. Each skater is different.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Good point.

Chan's father is a highly respected lawyer in Canada. Maybe P Chiddy and Tessa Virtue will go to law school. She did say she wants to write the exams in "Tessa & Scott"!

I thought he was interested in finance/business? Either way, whatever works for him!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I listened that too. I don't really know what to say about that :laugh: I think he is just a type of person that can't come to terms with losing.
A quote from a comment on ISU facebook:

"Men field event a summary:
Hanyu: You are senior, please take the gold.
PChan: No, you are the sun at 8 AM, you take it."
I swear I was rolling on the floor because of that comment. :biggrin:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Like Hanyu, I don't think Chan would have enjoyed being given the gold for that free program. Same with Worlds last year... he wasn't pleased even though he had the win and he looked to redeem himself, which IMO he did at SC and TEB and the GPF. Unfortunately, he just couldn't hold it together in Sochi. Chan does have an issue with easy errors that give up points later on. It's ridiculous that him and Plushenko are two of the strongest jumpers, and they have occasional issues with the easiest jumps. Although that's across the board - Hanyu nailed a 4T, but fell on a 3F; Gold at Worlds land 3Z-3T but messed up both 2A attempts. Each skater is different.

True, true. Hrmmm you would think that Chan could hold it together considering how much experience he's gained since the 2010 Olympics. I just wished he would say things like "oh I may have been overscored" or something along those lines but I guess it doesn't fit in with his personality.

Panpie

On the Ice
The snide remarks about the men's competition at the Olympics were over the top, in my opinion. Furthermore, the remarks were not only from casual fans. I read a lot of remarks along the lines of, "My grandma could've won the men's gold medal," etc., etc. both here and on other figure skating message boards.

Back to the topic at hand, I think Patrick knows that the other guys have caught up to or surpassed him, or at least there are a few who have the potential to win against him. Surely, he figured that out after the result at the GPF. He may want to retire. Then again, he may just be taking a break to assess where his skating career is and to consider whether he wants to go further. I admire anyone who can both go to college and train as an elite figure skater at the same time, but it is very difficult to both get good grades in college-level courses and win medals in figure skating. If Chan can do it, my hat's off to him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
True, true. Hrmmm you would think that Chan could hold it together considering how much experience he's gained since the 2010 Olympics. I just wished he would say things like "oh I may have been overscored" or something along those lines but I guess it doesn't fit in with his personality.

He is not known for humility. In fact, a lot of non-Japanese guys... Joubert, Plushenko, Kovtun...

That's what I love about Hanyu, humble in victory and defeat, and always working to improve and let his skating speak for itself. :clap:

Meoima

Match Penalty
He is not known for humility. In fact, a lot of non-Japanese guys... Joubert, Plushenko, Kovtun...

That's what I love about Hanyu, humble in victory and defeat, and always working to improve and let his skating speak for itself. :clap:
PChan is just a young men, he has won 3 world titles so far, I can get his attitude. It's not like he does not have the rights to act like that anyways. People are paying too much attention to his attitude. He is an excellent skater, and that matters as long as he doesn't do anything bad.

And for Japanese men, it's in their nature. They were born in a society that value humbleness and patience the greatest virtues. And they are genuinely humble. Hanyu's father is a teacher so I can get where his attitude come from. If you talk about the attitude, then I love Daisuke the most. He is always mature and thoughtful and supportive to his teammates and others. He is the best! :)

But it's not like you must be a humble guy to be loved. Lots of people still admire PChan, despite his shortcomings. Everyone have different personalities you know.

lbc2138

On the Ice

Haha but at least Plushenko praises Yuzuru even though he was hesitant in coaching Yuzu before Sochi since he was at least considered a big threat.

Sorry, back on topic. I have a feeling Patrick will come back? But it probably won't be as climatic as we would hope for though. He's a smart guy, whether it be college or otherwise he'll be fine.